Why Can't I find any enjoyment in Cyberpunk 2077?

Steam, Deals & More.
Lenny Solidus

Why Can't I find any enjoyment in Cyberpunk 2077?

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:53 pm

CDPR's Cyberpunk will have been out for two years come this December, and as of today my GoG time on the game is precisely 5hrs and 38 minutes. In two whole years. I must have uninstalled and reinstalled the game over a dozen times and every single time I try to finally overwhelmingly click with it I just end up struggling, not having any fun and left feeling colder towards it than any other game I can think of in recent times. This has been made even worse as I was gifted the game on release and never paid anything for it myself, which I thought, at the time, would really spur me even more to play it. That didn't happen, of course.

My main point of contention though is I cannot for the life of me put my finger on exactly what prevents me playing and enjoying the gaming experience, I've always lapped up anything that came close to a Deus Ex type experience but this, this just does nothing for me, it's honestly kind of infuriating because everything is there I should - enjoy?

Has anyone else experienced this I wonder? Would love to hear your thoughts.
Last edited by Lenny Solidus on Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Alan

Re: Why Can't I find any enjoyment in Cyberpunk 2077?

Post by Alan » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:22 pm

For my money it’s because it’s soulless. It’s soullessnes is encapsulated in the Keanu character and since the entire game hinges off that exceptionally poorly written and acted character it makes it easy feel a bit cold about the whole package. It’s fine, it’s well made, it’s quite fun but it’s still lacks soul and heart.

But that’s just me. I finished it but the most enjoyment I had was just running around swinging a samurai sword like I was in Shadow Warrior.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:33 pm

Well, I really enjoyed it. Get yourself a set of monowires Dave and just go hogwild on everything, it's great fun.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:25 pm

I was trying to find a moment in the game that would, you know, "stick" with me with this game. Deus Ex was more memorable, but then again those older games were immersive sims. 2077 don't feel like one for me, although with alot more dev time it could have been.

In 2077 the last "secret" ending was the only part of the game where it was pretty damn intense and memorable, but thats at the end.
That wasn't a good sign of my final thoughts on the game...

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:30 pm

I’ve played it through a couple of times now and it clicked with me from the get-go. It’s no Witcher 3 but it’s a great game all the same. Horses for courses, I guess!

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:23 pm

Abs_McBain wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:25 pm
I was trying to find a moment in the game that would, you know, "stick" with me with this game. Deus Ex was more memorable, but then again those older games were immersive sims. 2077 don't feel like one for me, although with alot more dev time it could have been.

In 2077 the last "secret" ending was the only part of the game where it was pretty damn intense and memorable, but thats at the end.
That wasn't a good sign of my final thoughts on the game...

You know this could be it, the fact that it's still debated how much of it reaches true immersive sim status - that's how I always thought I would end up playing it in the same fashion I played Prey 2017 (ironic I know) game or a Deus Ex title, but Cyberpunk falls so very short of either.

If I can somehow find a hook something that propels it beyond the tedium I've felt playing it I know that I will probably end up enjoying much of it, but as to what that will finally be or how long it may last keeping me invested I have next to no idea. I've perhaps been approaching the game all wrong and five hours of play is not a great deal of time but it's also the most important that should get me invested, that should be gripping me as soon as possible. I should just pull back on the immersive sim expectation.

I guess there's a reason the original Deus Ex is still celebrated as one of the greatest games ever made and Cyberpunk well, isn't. I know that sounds very harsh, I just want to crack the bloody code.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:16 am

I wouldn’t claim Cyberpunk is one of the greatest games ever made, but I don’t think Deus Ex is anymore either. It’s one of the most important games ever, certainly, but the actual experience of playing it these days is not as great as it used to feel. The story is good but wearily dated now, whereas Cyberpunk has some really curious and inventive narrative moments (the job for the mayoral candidate and his wife springs to mind - there’s so much going on there between the lines if you dig deep).

For what it’s worth, I played about 5 hours of Prey (2017) and it left me absolutely cold.

Also also, if we’re talking about the greatest immersive sims of all time, System Shock 2 should be front and centre. Ignoring the graphics, it really holds up well today.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:18 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:16 am
I wouldn’t claim Cyberpunk is one of the greatest games ever made, but I don’t think Deus Ex is anymore either. It’s one of the most important games ever, certainly, but the actual experience of playing it these days is not as great as it used to feel. The story is good but wearily dated now, whereas Cyberpunk has some really curious and inventive narrative moments (the job for the mayoral candidate and his wife springs to mind - there’s so much going on there between the lines if you dig deep).

For what it’s worth, I played about 5 hours of Prey (2017) and it left me absolutely cold.

Also also, if we’re talking about the greatest immersive sims of all time, System Shock 2 should be front and centre. Ignoring the graphics, it really holds up well today.
I was a huge fan of SS2 in the time of DX, I always thought it was a far superior game of the two. I suspect that it's more down to me just prefering the location and theme of SS2 than DX more than anything regarding graphics etc.

Funny thing about Prey is that it's the most SS2 alike of any game that followed it. I did kinda bounce off it the first couple of times but really got into it as soon as I reached the wider station. Cyberpunk however just leaves me cold too. The world is broad but seemingly very shallow and I find the controls and feel awful, especially vehicles. Systems wise it's very opaque, I yet to make sense of quick hacks and they're value over just dumping a load of bullets into someone. I expect that might become harder further along but it's hard to work out when to do what. Performance and bugs wise it's still not great either. Amazing how badly they screwed it up after W3 being pretty damn solid from the get go with clearer systems and a better living open world.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:54 am

Weirdly it took me 3 attempts to get into Prey before I ended up having a great time.

Thank God he’s not still called Prey or that could be misconstrued.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:25 pm

Alan wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:54 am
Weirdly it took me 3 attempts to get into Prey before I ended up having a great time.

:lol:

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:34 pm

Alan wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:54 am

=D> :lol:
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:01 pm

It's one of my top games, for sure, but I do have issues with it. I'm surely wondering what all they have in store for the second update. Also, I've used several mods from Nexus in order to enhance the gameplay, quality of life type of things mostly. The community has really stepped up and made some amazing mods, maybe browse Nexus and see if any there you might fancy?

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a great game, for sure, and in my opinion holds up well. I've yet to finish it so I need to give it a go, once I'm back on my PC (which will be ages from now, unfortunately).

The next big thing coming, for me, is Starfield. Skyrim in spaaace! yay :)
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:39 pm

I bounced off of Mankind Divided, it just felt lesser than Human Revolution to me, a game that I very much enjoyed. Twice.

Prey 2017 is fantastic. I wasn't so sure at first, even after the stellar opening, but that was more based on it feeling rather clunky after I had just come off the back of playing Dishonored 2.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:36 am

I can relate. Red Dead Redemption 2 has everything that I should love. It leaves me annoyed at the controls mainly. I keep going back to it though and trying.
Cyberpunk just worked for me.

Aren't our brains weird? Everyone has a lifetime of experiences that go into building emotions and stuff and things that can evolve into liking or not liking something.
Fascinating.
-- To be completed at some point --

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:52 am

It’s the ones where you can’t properly identify your problem with a game that are the worst. It’s Assassin’s Creed for me - I’ve played several of them for maybe 5-10 hours each and I can’t get along with them at all. On paper they should be right up my alley, but there’s zero love lost when I eventually abandon them.