I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Rossell

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Rossell » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:41 pm

I was wondering that Mantis. I'm not sure if the idea was ever implemented in the films though. From what I remember, I think the matrix we all know had a green tint, the "real world" had a yellow tint, and the final proper real world should have had a white tint.

Or just make the machines capable of cloning and neo and trinitys roles in this are as such. They can do everything else it wouldn't be a stretch.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:36 pm

I wouldn't mind if they found a way to continue the plot without rebooting it. I'm not sure who is directing it, but a movie more in line with the original rather than the sequels could still have potential providing it wasn't just a cash in on the name.

I have a soft spot for the sequels though, I just love the world and characters so lap them all up, even with the ridiculous Dragonball Z boss battle finale in the third movie with the overblown orchestral soundtrack. Love it.

The first movie is king though, it throws together so many interesting ideas and little tidbits of philosophy on top of a cool cyberpunk setting with kung fu movie and anime influences thrown in. Such a weird petri dish of ideas all pulled together and directed really well. It holds up really well even today.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:54 pm

I agree. The first matrix was the first film I ever bought on dvd and still have that copy. I remember being in awe watching the lobby scene.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:40 pm

I knew literally nothing when I watched The Matrix in the cinema. I'd seen no adverts for it, I literally just knew the name of the film we were going to see. I was 14.

That shit blew. my. mind.

Agree they shouldn't have made the sequels, they tainted an otherwise near-perfect first film. Still, interested to find out how the fourth is going to fit. In this day and age, it'll be impossible for me to avoid knowing something about the film before seeing it, and that's a bit of a shame. Film has lost some of its magic now we're all connected all the time.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:49 pm

Cloverfield

Here's something I haven't watched in about 10 years, how did it hold up? Well the actual runtime of the film is only about 75 minutes and I had to skim through the first 18 of that or I would have turned it off. I generally don't like found footage and this hammers that home by beginning with a party full of vapid beautiful people talking utter wank. It's supposed to be character building but you end up hating everyone. But once it kicks off it gets a lot better. The effects still hold up really well and the destruction of New York looks great.The creature could have looked better, a big spindly bat thingy just doesn't evoke terrifying sea monster vibes. Still I enjoyed it in the end and it was well made for the genre.

One the better bits

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:00 pm

Spiderman: Into the Spider-verse

That was great :D

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:19 pm

Rebecca (Netflix)

5/10 Meh. Great sets and cinematrography let down by some flat acting and shoddy direction. Not sure what the fuss is all about. The story is OK.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:38 pm

Spiderman: Into the Spider-verse

I heard this comment from a lot of people before watching this myself and after finally watching it I have to agree; this is the best superhero film of the last decade. Maybe ever. And this is from someone who watched the entire MCU over the last year. It's hilarious, it's beautiful to look at (though I'm still unsure on the halftone filter that overlays the animation), it hits far more emotional notes than I expected it to, and I suspect it might be a better BLM film than Black Panther was.

The last few years have made me perhaps more emotionally receptive than I would have otherwise been, but I watched half of this film with tears in my eyes. I wasn't expecting that from an animated superhero film.

It's on Netflix as of this week. Go watch it.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:17 pm

Cool, will give that a go.

I warn you, though, since having kids I've been an emotional wreck:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:21 pm

Have tissues close.

I honestly hope I'm not overselling this, but I absolutely loved it.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:25 am

Raid wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:21 pm
Have tissues close.

I honestly hope I'm not overselling this, but I absolutely loved it.
Not at all, it's great. I'd put it up there with Thor: Ragnarok and Deadpool as the best superhero movies of resent years.
Spoiler
I want a full length Spiderman Noir with Nic Cage now..

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:26 pm

1917 - I have... strong feelings on the first world war, despite it ending nearly seventy years before I was born. It's the conflict that I think best demonstrates the futility of war, the utterly senseless loss of life and both the depth of human ingenuity and stupidity. I toured the French and Belgian battlefields at secondary school, and suffice to say it had a fairly profound effect on me. It may well be the reason I'm an absolute pacifist. I think 1917 is an adequate representation of my feelings towards it.

It's at times a horror film, it has its moments of beauty, and it's dripping with suspense throughout. I'm happy to accept that it takes a little artistic license with the timekeeping; the entire film is shot as just two takes (although obviously it's edited to avoid cuts between shots), but covers about 9 hours. I think it deserved its Oscar for cinematography.
Spoiler
Hoo boy did I not expect the twist that happens towards the end of the first half. I was fully expecting this to be a buddy film, but Blake's sudden and completely unnecessary death was a bit of a shock to the system.

There area handful of truly stunning shots that I don't recall seeing before; the brief struggle that happens with the participants entirely in silhouette while another enemy soldier approaches fully lit from the background, and the shot of Schofield running perpendicular to the British forces charging over the top. There's also the soul destroying shot of Joseph Blake realising his brother is dead, perfectly portrayed by Richard Madden.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:29 pm

VFW
Greenroom meets Assault on Precinct 13 but soooo much more violent. A group of Vietnam veterans hold off a gang of rampaging junkies in a small bar using improvised weapons. It's very 80's with the opening credits, John Carpenter style soundtrack and grainy quality. There's also the spectacular gore all done with practical effects, human heads just come apart when hit hard enough in this world (or blasted with a shotgun..). It's by no means great and some of the acting isn't exactly top notch but it's a fucking hoot to watch :P

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:55 pm

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - I accidentally watched the sequel to this a few months ago, and while I think Fallout is a much better film, this is still a great action flick. It doesn't have the same triple crossing that the series is known for, but it's a fun action romp regardless. The opera scene is probably worth the watch by itself.

It was also nice to have a female protagonist get into a knife fight with a male antagonist without any real stakes; just her against him. That doesn't happen often in action films.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:38 pm

Mortal Engines - An absolutely stunning piece of art design marred by being attached to a decidedly average film. It's an utterly ridiculous if rather fun concept (and "Municipal Darwinism" is a fantastic term for it), but narratively it borrows one too many elements from Empire Strikes Back and ends up being a strange mix of Star Wars and a Hayao Miyazaki film. It really doesn't make the most of the material, and sorta feels like it was butchered in the edit, with plot points that don't really go anywhere and characters that simply weren't necessary. Hugo Weaving puts in a comparatively Oscar winning performance among a largely unrecognisable cast that did nothing for me.

I can't say I'd really recommend this one. It's not a bad film by any means, but it's definitely style over substance. It's a shame really, the amount of creativity in the aesthetic deserved better.