System Shock

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Raid
Local

Re: System Shock

Post by Raid » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:05 pm

Alan wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:47 pm
Have we really had anything push the old soldiers of fortune envelope at all though?
Not really, no, which is just further evidence of how little it adds to a game. It was a gimmick in SoF, it's still a gimmick.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:03 pm

I think the COD World at War had a very detailed dismemberment/gore system but it wasn't used as a selling point.
Raid wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:33 pm
Gibs? Gibs?! It's gibs damnit!
He is pronouncing it wrong isn't he? I always said it like "jib", am I wrong? :? As in giblets...

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:06 pm

Always said it the same way and so has my friends to this day when mentioning it.

Its the jiff or giff saying as well :lol:
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:43 am

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:03 pm

He is pronouncing it wrong isn't he? I always said it like "jib", am I wrong? :? As in giblets...
Spot on. It's defo short for giblets
-- To be completed at some point --

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:03 am

Yep but jibs sounds much dumbererer
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:40 am

Lee wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:06 pm
Always said it the same way and so has my friends to this day when mentioning it.

Its the jiff or giff saying as well :lol:
Anyone who pronounces Gif as "jiff" is a Edwin [-(

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:55 pm

A new trailer.

I'm quietly optimistic. Is that Shodan voice line that runs throughout a new recording? I can almost remember the exact intonation and cadence of the original - Shodan is one of my absolute favourite pieces of videogame voice acting, up there with Handsome Jack and Glados, but I'm remembering it from System Shock 2's intro rather than the original game. If it is new, and given the clarity I think it probably is, they've either rehired the original actress or done a remarkable job in making it sound like her.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:16 pm

I completely missed the fact that there's a new demo too.

Pre-orderers will receive the enhanced edition of System Shock 2 (which incidentally has been announced as having VR support, which I'm pretty excited about) when it launches, but at £31.99 it's still a fairly steep asking price.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:18 pm

So the demo is really quite good. It's quite faithful to the original, although thankfully, y'know, it's got mouse-look now. I do like the new visual style, although with the number of bright lights it's quite easy to miss things you should be interacting with. It's also quite difficult even on the middle difficulty setting, and there's no checkpointing. In fact there was one point where it threw 8 zombies at me in the same room and I panicked so much I couldn't see the button to lower the lift that would allow me to escape. I got about half an hour in before it threw me back to the title screen.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:26 pm

My God the lights. The flashing lights! I got a headache 30 mins into the demo.

I had a problem interacting with a panel accessable by a anti-grav platform due to the CCTV monitor on my left and a light on my right clashing for screen real estate. Screen was literally green\orange with no way of seeing the environment.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:11 am

First 20 minutes including the game intro. Looks amazing but the melee combat is very clunky. Due out next month I believe.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:51 pm

Really enjoyed the demo but yes the combat is a little bit errrm is this final? It's very off. The mini Descent like shooting galleries and being flung down those tunnels I think I enjoyed more than anything else. Oh, and we won't discuss the zombie butts.

Unless you really want to.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:04 pm

There's an argument to make that modernising the melee combat would not be true to the spirit of the original, but then the original is so ancient (the first Doom came out just nine months earlier) that you have to wonder where you draw the line between authenticity and catering to a modern audience.

I personally don't think that giving the game a modern melee system is necessary - I think the clunkiness is part of the charm.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:35 pm

It could be my imagination but there was an air of frustration from whoever was playing that demo. The flailing about and missing the hits then getting caught up on the bed multiple times, the annoyance was palpable.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:30 pm

I don't think you should be remaking a game now and give it poor controls, the Resi remakes would not be better if they still had tank controls for instance. I think a good remake recreates the feeling of playing the old game without just completely replicating it. If the iffy controls in the original made combat feel more dangerous there are things you can do that replicate that feeling with better controls.

From watching the footage I think the issues are two fold, the range on the melee weapon is too short for something that long and there is no real impact to the hits.