The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Raid » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:10 pm

Arseholes using power tools all evening when it's too hot to have your windows shut. One of my neighbours has been using a sodding angle grinder or circular saw or something for the last 90 minutes, it's so loud that even my amazing noise cancelling headphones can't cut out the noise.

Is it unreasonable for me to expect my neighbours to let me enjoy my evening in peace? Yes, but I can still quietly seethe about it. Quietly seethe.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:15 pm

Welcome to my world mate :x

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:31 pm

And that of anyone living near a main road.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:50 am

They're filming the second season of War of the Worlds around my way. Which sounds great except one of our local roads is shut for three days.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:03 pm

Fucking capcha.

Fuck off with your endless rounds of bridges, palm trees, fire hydrants and bicycles. Complete one then another and another, just fuck off!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:46 pm

Aren't Captcha's used to train AI programs or some such like that?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:51 pm

Yeah, smartbombs of the future are going to be ridiculously good at blowing up buses and bicycles.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:04 pm

Don't know where else to put this but the stuff going down in Beirut at the moment... Poor bastards :(

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:26 pm

I suspect the "In other news" thread would be more appropriate, but I don't think we really have a news thread for things that aren't lighthearted or ridiculous.

Yeah, I've seen videos of the explosion and it's like something out of a blockbuster disaster movie, you can very clearly make out the shockwave just disintegrating buildings metre by metre. Seemingly it's been caused by a burning fireworks storage warehouse igniting a warehouse filled with improperly stored ammonium nitrate, which is a highly explosive fertiliser. It's absolutely tragic; the initial fire would have been very eye catching and there's a ton of videos emerging from people who had been filming just that from high rise windows - the ammonium nitrate then exploded pummeling people with shards of glass.

Someone on Reddit linked to a bizarre incident from 100 years ago in Germany caused by an explosion of the same product. Seemingly at the time it was normal to use explosives to break apart stored quantities of ammonium nitrate for easier handling. Explosives. To break apart an explosive material. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppau_explosion

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:46 am

Back pain, when it gets to the point where no position is comfortable. I hurt my (already dodgy) lower back last week and I thought I'd turned a corner last night, only for it to get even worse this morning. I blame the Ring Fit and its mild but over-enthusiastic exercises.

On the plus side, it has produced some new and unexpected expletives. I tried getting out of a chair earlier only to hear the words "Sweet duck-fucking Christ" emerge from my mouth. :shock:

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:46 am
Back pain, when it gets to the point where no position is comfortable. I hurt my (already dodgy) lower back last week and I thought I'd turned a corner last night, only for it to get even worse this morning. I blame the Ring Fit and its mild but over-enthusiastic exercises.

On the plus side, it has produced some new and unexpected expletives. I tried getting out of a chair earlier only to hear the words "Sweet duck-fucking Christ" emerge from my mouth. :shock:
Am with you there mate, I also have a long-standing back condition (pars inter-articular syndrome coupled with spondylolisthesis) - have had a prolapsed disc as a result so it is now a permanent passenger in my life. It is amazing how debilitating back pain can be.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:01 pm

Not so much back but I’ve done something to my shoulder in the past week and getting comfy in bed has been a nightmare. I have to lay like a vampire and I’m not designed to sleep like that.

We’re getting old John.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:58 pm

I strained my back when I was 12 and it's been an on/off problem for me ever since 30 odd years later. I also developed a weird phobia about spinal problems and once fainted when someone started describing a lumbar puncher they got.

Even typing that last bit made me iffy... :(

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:15 pm

lumbar puncher
That's a weird job! :mrgreen:

Another +1 for back-pain dad gang over here. I pulled something in my back a few weeks ago up by my shoulders which sucked. Then last weekend I bent down to talk to my kid (he's nearly 2) and when I straightened up something else went, this time low down on my right. Agony!

I remember the first time my back properly seized up was when I was 15/16. I was in school headed to a lesson, my foot landed weirdly on some uneven floor and that was it. Had to stop in my tracks to compose myself! So unexpected and fuckin' painful. :cry:
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:43 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:58 pm
I strained my back when I was 12 and it's been an on/off problem for me ever since 30 odd years later. I also developed a weird phobia about spinal problems and once fainted when someone started describing a lumbar puncher they got.

Even typing that last bit made me iffy... :(
I had an epidural for a strangulated hernia back in 2016 and tbh I didn't even feel it.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗