Cyberpunk 2077 [PC, PS4, XBone] - out September 17 2020

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 [PC, PS4, XBone] - out September 17 2020

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:45 pm

Is that not a major part of an RPG?
Depends on the RPG really. It bothers me less in party based RPGs as you build up a relationship with the characters around you and I kind of end up living vicariously through them. If it's just me I need more if the game wants me to engage with the story.

Just done a bit of reading around and you get to choose one of three backstories for V which will shape how people react to you so think Dragon Age Origins, other than that there are a blank slate.

CDPR could end up writing around the issues I have with this way of storytelling but that doesn't stop me having concerns.

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:54 pm

I actually was not a big fan of Witcher 3, tried playing it for a few hours but just didn't click.

I think this game will hopefully be done better. I hope it's more open world and free to go wherever than forcing you into story line

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:23 am

I'm the same, tried 2 and 3 but couldn't get into them at all. The combat and magic system put me off.

I'm guessing this will be similar to most open world games, do the odd story mission then wander off and explore then back to a story mission. Works for me.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:55 am

I didn't particularly love Witcher 2, although I did complete it. Witcher 3 I feel sort of the same, bounced off it initially, but I've clicked with it a lot more this time round and I aim to finish it finally - I still have issues with it, but the sense of place in the world they've created is so strong it's really helping me see past them enough to keep playing.

Geralt is an irritating/unlikeable protagonist a lot of the time and I quite often hit the space bar repeatedly to get past some of the weird dialogue I wouldn't want my character to be saying to people. It's a bit jarring. Quite often he's just a dick and I would have loved to play in this remarkable game world as a unique witcher somehow, and make my own choices about who I wanted to be.

So Cyberpunk 2077 might actually be a better fit for me than W3, depends on how much scope they provide for how your character's personality is portrayed. I wouldn't be surprised if the developers are quite enjoying not being rigidly constrained to Geralt.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:28 am

Maturin wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:55 am
Geralt is an irritating/unlikeable protagonist a lot of the time and I quite often hit the space bar repeatedly to get past some of the weird dialogue I wouldn't want my character to be saying to people. It's a bit jarring. A lot of the time he's just a dick and I would have loved to play in this remarkable game world as a unique witcher somehow, and make my own choices about who I wanted to be.
That's fascinating - I never got that vibe from Geralt. Quite the opposite, if anything, as his bluntness to me seems restrained in the face of the unearned hate thrown his direction by much of the world. You can play Geralt as a dick, of course, but I'm guessing you're talking about his demeanour in general rather than specific dickish choices.

Back to the topic at hand, I fall somewhere in the middle with a lean towards blank slate RPG characters. I like RPGs where you play a pre-defined character (particularly Witcher 3), but I love open world RPGs where you create your own character and forge your own story within a narrative. I get the impression that Cyberpunk will be a bit of both.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:00 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:28 am
That's fascinating - I never got that vibe from Geralt. Quite the opposite, if anything, as his bluntness to me seems restrained in the face of the unearned hate thrown his direction by much of the world.
I agree. Geralt feels to me like a normal person who wakes up to find themselves at a Trump rally. A restrained but blunt response to utter stupidity.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:06 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:23 am
I'm the same, tried 2 and 3 but couldn't get into them at all. The combat and magic system put me off.

I'm guessing this will be similar to most open world games, do the odd story mission then wander off and explore then back to a story mission. Works for me.
sometimes the overly long forced start is a bother to me, saw someone else said they have 3 different starting points so hopefully it will be well done enough to not feel like im stuck doing a multihour hour tutorial storyline and let me just jump into world if i want to start fresh

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:38 pm

CDPR need to either sack their social media person or take a good look at themselves. Not for the first time they have posted something that whilst not on the face of it overly offensive isn't nice either.

For reference there is penis customisation but only one vagina and they are basically mocking people who are pointing this out.

There was also this little gem from an interview with the CEO and studio head
"The key takeaway is that diversity... and the differing sensitivities and outlooks which result from it, must not lead to conflict. In this way our team’s energy can be fully directed towards creation."
They have reworded it since so that it reads
"and the differing sensitivities and outlooks which result from it, are not leading to conflict."
It could have been a mistranslation but they are the ones that translated it for their own site so it seems unlikely.

There was also the transphobic stuff from a year back. And then you have the whole crunch problem the studio apparently has. They just continue to do little things that are starting to add up and make me rather wary of the studio and this game in particular.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:55 pm

I'm not even sure what either of those quotes are even meant to mean when presented like that without any context at all.

Aren't they essentially simply saying that they don't want to cause any arguments to avoid having to spend resources on managing it?

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:05 pm

My read of that original quote is that diversity isn't worth the hassle, better to keep to the status quo and avoid conflict which is a bad stance to take. So in the case of a game there isn't much point trying to make it more diverse if it leads to people getting annoyed.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:18 pm

It probably makes more sense within the context of the original statement, but on its own I don't think it's saying that all. You're inferring a lot from a little. It reads to me that they're essentially saying that they don't want the creative team distracted by having to work around whatever arguments may spring up, as they recognise that diversity issues bring a very wide range of opinions. I think it's pretty fair to say that you wouldn't want your team getting embroiled in having to make late changes to the game due to controversies which come up from any issues.

There's nothing there at all which suggests they think that making the game diverse is too much hassle to be worth the effort.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:28 pm

I disagree but I don't think it is worth getting bogged down in that as it's not the worst thing they have done.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:42 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:07 am

"Corpo" instantly makes me think of the book It Can't Happen Here. I'd play the fuck out of that.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:13 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗