Xbox & Microsoft News/Discussion

Console Country!
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Xbox & Microsoft News/Discussion

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:12 pm

Alan wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:33 am
The thing that strikes me as different is that Sony cultivated those studios for a long time to the point that when they were acquired a lot of people went “wait, they didn’t own them already?”. They didn’t feel like they were taking anything away from MS since 99% of those studios releases were only on PS. MS on the other hand just said point the money cannon at the successful thing and build a wall round it! That left people looking forward to a Starfield or a TES that maybe can’t afford a second console up the poopy river so it tastes a whole lot more bitter.

Bungie is the outlier but that still seems like a bloody moronic buy to me anyway since they paid way too much and left them to operate almost completely independently.
It's a slightly different approach but at some point Sony would have been taking games away from other platforms when paying for exclusivity. Exclusives are ultimately bad any way you slice them, doesn't matter if they were announced for another system originally or not.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:41 pm

Debatable whether exclusives are defacto a bad thing. Some games wouldn't get made at all if console platform owners didn't pay the studios for development. Even if they're just a third party and not directly owned by Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo, I don't think it's unreasonable to want exclusivity on a game that you've paid development and marking costs for.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:44 am

Alan wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:33 am
The thing that strikes me as different is that Sony cultivated those studios for a long time to the point that when they were acquired a lot of people went “wait, they didn’t own them already?”. They didn’t feel like they were taking anything away from MS since 99% of those studios releases were only on PS. MS on the other hand just said point the money cannon at the successful thing and build a wall round it! That left people looking forward to a Starfield or a TES that maybe can’t afford a second console up the poopy river so it tastes a whole lot more bitter.
Nah, that’s something of a revisionist history. MS worked very closely with Bethesda from Oblivion onwards to the point where Todd Howard and Pete Hines were fawning over the Xbox 360 in interviews while barely mentioning PS or Sony at all. They were partners long before the acquisition. Their BGS games on PS were at best an afterthought / cash grab and at worst outright broken. How anyone was surprised at them being bought by MS is beyond me.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:58 pm

Microsoft thinking about releasing Xbox exclusives on other platforms, maybe? Gears of War on PS5 :shock:

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:27 pm

My theory is that after the first party being quite floppy MS have told XBox to start making money back on all the billions they've dropped trying to throttle Sonys sales. Ironically the best way to do that is to use Sonys install base :p

That or they think the best way to punish Sony is to give them Starfield.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:36 pm

:lol:

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:38 pm

I think most of it is conjecture and the worst of internet sleuthing.