Playstation & Sony News/Discussion

Console Country!
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Playstation & Sony News/Discussion

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:14 am

Alan wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:01 am
MM was a PS4 ass looking game in the event footage, real weird they lead with that. Horizon is a bit surprising but wasnt it originally announced as a PS4 title or was that just when it wasn’t officially announced? If they were going cross gen

So the only game on next gen I’m moderately interested in is a game that came out 15 years ago. \:D/
This was the first time they have confirmed that the next Horizon game is coming to PS4. They also said that they are looking to support the PS4 for three or four more years, a massive shift from what Jim Ryan said a few months ago about wanting to get people to shift over asap. My guess is that someone at Sony Corporate questioned why they were just chucking a huge market into the bin.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:16 am

Pre orders went live at 9 ish this morning. They're all gone already but I think we saw that coming.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:48 am

Classic case of FOMO except there is literally nothing that is MO except bragging rights. No massive IP that is exclusive to the PS5. I cannot see the reason to get one this Xmas
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:06 am

Are they backwards compatible? Guessing not.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:31 am

PS5s? Aye “thousands” of games tested and 99% work apparently. No word on if you could stick a PS2 disc in though so probably just to current gen. I’m hoping that Plus (edit- PSNow even) games will all be able to run locally but might be a tall order for PS3 emulation.
Last edited by Alan on Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:47 am

Backward compatible from PS3

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:20 am

It's PS4 only for backwards compatibility.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:45 am

oh....yes...you are right - my bad

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:51 am

Shame but expected.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:32 am

I'm sure the PS1/2/3 classics on the digital store will still be available to play on PS5, it's just that for PS4 games you also have the option of putting your old discs in. I don't really care about backwards compatibility much anymore, it was something I used to think was quite important but invariably I always end up keeping my old console anyway and if I'm buying the latest piece of tech I'm not that concerned with playing the last generation of games on it. The free graphical upgrades for people putting their old PS4 discs in is a nice touch though.

The FF16 announcement is pretty big if they've stumped up the cash for exclusivity again, and Demon Souls looks excellent.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:37 am

Would anyone really have complained if both consoles had been delayed until next year? There would have been more exclusive games available. Global pandemic, people understand shits not going according to plan anymore.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:43 am

Even before the pandemic the half consoles have made this feel at least a year if not 2 too early for me. I’d rather they sunset the launch consoles and new games only came for the half consoles for a year or two then go next gen
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:22 am

Without the pandemic the launches would be looking better so I don't think it was too early to launch when Sony and Microsoft originally set the dates but once the pandemic hit and software was being delayed I think it possibly made sense to push them back. I'm guessing that on a corporate level they wanted them out anyway because it's a few extra months of sales for the financial year. People are going to buy them regardless so you might as well put them out even if there isn't anything really exclusive for people to play on them.

I think I said this before but we here are in a unique position in that we have PCs as well as consoles so the launch looks less enticing when you can get most of the software on PC anyway, but the majority of buyers will be gaming almost exclusively on console so are happy experiencing mutliplatform games like Assassins Creed and CoD on their new boxes. So for most the launch line-up looks pretty good.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:13 pm

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... en-opinion

I disagree with Batchelor's opinions. I agree the release has been badly botched with zero exclusives (except maybe Demon's Souls for the PS5) gamers want the shiny shiny. The late buyers like us will always be there to pick one up at a later date, but for brand loyal gamers there is definitely a market for them.

What do you guys think ?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:26 pm

Blind brand loyalty is the only thing Microsoft have to sell their new machine. It's not hugely different with Sony, though I think they've made a better case. Either way I largely agree with those opinions.

As it stands there's only a single game that I'm sad I'll not be able to play from these next-gen showcases, and that's Demons Souls which isn't a launch title so far as we know and it may even get a PC release; it's bizarre that someone could just accidentally slip "Also coming to PC" into a pre-recorded console showcase trailer and then have that declared human error the next day along with a whole load of other backtracking. My guess is that there is a PC version in development but Sony are desperate to give their audience something to cling on to because they realise how meagre the PS5 offering currently is at launch.