Hatredsheart

Re: General Gaming News

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:15 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:25 pm

So how about that Hogwarts Legacy 1/10 Review from Wired...
The story is rooted in anti-Semitic tropes. The gameplay feels dated. The graphics feel like they’re a couple generations behind. All the characters are one-dimensional. It doesn’t stay true to the established lore. Every character feels like an off-brand version of the characters we know and love. There’s no sense of place. No magic, no heart.
https://www.wired.com/review/hogwarts-legacy-review/
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:28 pm

Lennyquantum wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:25 pm
So how about that Hogwarts Legacy 1/10 Review from Wired...
The story is rooted in anti-Semitic tropes. The gameplay feels dated. The graphics feel like they’re a couple generations behind. All the characters are one-dimensional. It doesn’t stay true to the established lore. Every character feels like an off-brand version of the characters we know and love. There’s no sense of place. No magic, no heart.
https://www.wired.com/review/hogwarts-legacy-review/
It's not so much a review of the game as it is a review of the author's relationship with Rowling, but it was an interesting read nonetheless. As ever the separation of art and artist is an intriguing discussion, and it when mixed with childhood nostalgia the betrayal can be more harsh.

Edit: reading a few other reviews it sounds like the game in and of itself is competent without being mind-blowing. Given the controversy over JKR's views it's an easy skip for me...

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:30 pm

I think the problem with the whole "separate art from artist" thing in this case is that Rowling is still directly profiting from the franchise, and she's pretty keen to point that out.

I'm a member of a very trans-friendly gaming community that just outright banned discussion of the game because it directly lines the pockets of her and allows her to continue her messages. I suspect that the review linked above isn't going to be the only one.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:42 pm

The separation of the artist and their art argument is something I do believe in, but primarily within the context of non-contemporary works. It is hard to hold someone to modern day standards for views they had when they were born in the 1800s for example. Some do tread a fine line though as even for their time they may have been a little out there; Lovecraft for example was outrageously racist even for the early 1900s. In cases like that it can make for uncomfortable reading, but you can still enjoy the works for their other merits whilst condemning the clearly racist content.

JK Rowling is alive now. She has no excuse for pushing alt-right transphobe conspiracy theories. Either she genuinely believes the bile she spouts or she's a very useful idiot who is being used to further the agenda of even more nefarious actors. I grew up with Harry Potter, I loved the books and never really got into the rest of the fandom with all the merchandise and movies. I will happily never support anything she is attached to or personally profits from ever again.

The new game looks really dull and uninspiring anyway.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:45 pm

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-evil-wit ... aster-egg/

I don't know about you chaps but I really enjoyed 2, although it was a little bit on the short side I felt it a drastic improvement over the first.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:19 pm

That Wired review is a joke and I don't really know what they hope to gain from such a stupid score other than driving traffic to the site, which is probably why they stuck that score on it.

The whole stuff around reviews of Hogwarts Legacy feels a bit performative, much like when reviews started talking about crunch for a few weeks. I think there is a place to highlight issues around a game but I think you also need to be a bit more consistent, not just jump on a hot button issue and then ignore it the rest of the time.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:10 am

TLDW..
Pros: Very well optimized and runs at a high fps. Looks great with unique art style. Combat can be fun in certain situations. Great music by Mick Gordon (Doom 2016)

Cons: Utterly unlikeable protagonist. Terrible writing and weak, predicable story. Enemies are massive bullet sponges and respawn endlessly in some areas. No FOV slider. Character has no run button and moves too slowly. Open world has very little of interest and bad driving controls. Many more...

It's on Game Pass so I'll give it a look as there does seem to be some fun to be had. I've checked a few reviews and everyone hates the main character, complete twat by the sounds of it.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:34 am

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:59 pm

I was semi interested in trying out Atomic Heart until I heard the damn sex bot dispenser on a Twitch stream last night, I have no idea what the devs were thinking on that particular bit of game design. :lol:

https://www.pcgamer.com/after-more-than ... out-today/

You have to give Ubisoft their due, they know how to keep players engaged and engagement increased by over 30% on this one over time, which is certainly good going.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:19 pm

Sounds like Blood Bowl 3 is shaping up to be one of the worst-ever game launches.

https://www.pcgamer.com/blood-bowl-3-is ... king-bugs/

Out in two days!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:37 pm

Sly Boots wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:19 pm
Sounds like Blood Bowl 3 is shaping up to be one of the worst-ever game launches.

https://www.pcgamer.com/blood-bowl-3-is ... king-bugs/

Out in two days!
Lol, one of the first Steam reviews:
Preface: I have nearly 2000 hours in Blood Bowl 2 and about as many across the various BB1 editions. I’m an admin for one of the largest BB2 leagues, I’m the guy who helped make BB2 and BB3(!) modding possible, despite Cyanide doing nothing to support it. Importantly, I’m also a professional game developer, so I do actually have working experience of how difficult game development really is.

In over 30 years of purchasing video games, Blood Bowl 3 is simply the worst launch of a game I’ve ever experienced.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:27 pm

Kill the Justice League loadout screen and requires always online connection for solo play...
IS AN INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED TO PLAY SUICIDE SQUAD: KILL THE JUSTICE LEAGUE?
Yes, an internet connection is required to play Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League solo or via online co-op.
https://www.suicidesquadgame.com/en-us/faq

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:39 am

I find it hard to get upset about always online nowadays. The game itself is the real cause for concern, looked very uninspiring.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:06 am

In the age of the steam deck its very easy to get upset about it if you ask me.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.