General Gaming News

Steam, Deals & More.
Hatredsheart

Re: General Gaming News

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:19 am

Alan wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:46 am
Maybe they’re finally making you that Chaser sequel ;)
I'd be in for that, really enjoyed that game.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:26 pm

Anyone replayed it lately? It's pretty bad. Nice music though.

48 minutes of jank

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:05 pm

This is according to an Insider Gaming report that claims the unannounced Far Cry titles were originally meant to be one game until Dan Hay, the former franchise executive director for Far Cry, left Ubisoft to work at Blizzard Entertainment. The report goes on to say that the single-player project is now being referred to as Project Blackbird, and the multiplayer Far Cry is being called Project Maverick, with Ubisoft Montreal being heavily involved in both games.

Although not much is known, the report suggests that the multiplayer Project Maverick will be set in the Alaskan wilderness and is set to be an extraction-based looter-shooter. This does align with a previous poll that Ubiosft did in the past that was originally spotted by PC Gamer, where it asked fans where they'd like the next Far Cry to be based--one of the options was Alaska.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:54 pm

Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:30 pm

That's a quick turnaround for another Forza Horizon game.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:46 pm

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:08 am

*Sound of thousands of people removing the game from their wishlist*

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:38 am

I wouldn't say it looked bizarre at all (with the exception of the player character fighting zombies in yoga clothes), it's just boring. Not having followed any of this prior to the story from the other week, there's nothing there for me to buy in to, but I think there's room for something that plays a bit like The Division but in a zombie apocalypse scenario. The Division is a pretty decent co-op game, but the most recent release is unplayable as one because everyone playing it randomly crashes at least once an hour and you need to wait for five minutes every time for them to reconnect.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:08 am

Alan wrote:
When someone mentions your beloved Chaser but others manage to jump into the comments first...

I would still love and yes still dream of a Chaser 2. You can't take that away from meeeeeeeeee!

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:14 am

Lennyquantum wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:08 am
Alan wrote:
When someone mentions your beloved Chaser but others manage to jump into the comments first...

I would still love and yes still dream of a Chaser 2. You can't take that away from meeeeeeeeee!
Me and you both mate. We can dream!

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:58 am

Fantastic to hear, man. I knew I wasn't alone. :D

I mean I get it, I get why the game is kind of reviled and everyone is of course very much entitled to that particular opinion. To me though, Chaser was very much a building you could tell was built with love only on a somewhat shaky unsettled foundation and structure - it was to me strengthened however by a core development team who were attempting to give something extra over your then ever so typical actioner first-person shooter. At its heart in terms of character, story development and more importantly the ending's memorable revelation, I always thought they did a highly commendable job.

Sure it has aged greatly since but at the time I was deeply invested in it all on top of what I felt was a set of more than competent enough exploration /gameplay / shooting mechanics with some cool arse slo-mo shooting and yes, yes I know I always mentioned them - the slow motion reloads I was so obsessed with at the time. And the soundtrack even now still gets a consistent replay from me, especially Little Tokyo (Entrance) which always takes me right back to playing the games demo which I instantly fell in love with and must have replayed well over fifty times the week it released.

I know I may be seen as someone who only thrives on pure nostalgia, but Chaser really did have an impact on me as a game that really genuinely felt a bit special as undercooked as much of it came across to the masses - and it has stayed with me ever since as a one time direction someone in the genre fold tried to take that was different, and I will forever applaud them for trying. It may be looked upon with disdain by many, but for some of us it's a game that manifested in us a little more than just move shoot and kill and that's exactly why it has stayed with us as it has.

You don't remember, do you.

Addition - Oh and I loved the games multiplayer too. In fact, Chaser multiplayer was some of the very first games I ever played with long since forgotten PW members such as AtomicMatter, a whole group of us running around in the forest map with the meaty double barrel shotguns blasting each other to smithereens. :lol:

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:17 pm

The main problem with Chaser is I think the studio had big ideas but not the time or budget to see it through. The voice acting is shocking in places, but if English wasn't your first language it probably sounded perfectly fine during production (that's why the voice acting in Resident Evil was so famously bad). The levels are sprawling and confusing to navigate, perhaps the intention was to fill them with more content that had to be cut. It also came out the same year as Splinter Cell, Call of Duty, GTA Vice City and KotOR. Didn't really stand a chance. Then Half Life 2 came out the following year...

The first time I played I did enjoy it but found it very frustrating, I tried another replay a few years later and just gave up near the end. The music for Nippon Hotel (Penthouse) is great, has a Deus Ex vibe.

It's a 20 year old game that was unfortunate to be in development just as some massive gaming legends were about to be released. I still think it's a bad game but no worse than some others of the era.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:54 pm

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:42 pm

It's clearly more of the same, but that's not a bad thing in my opinion. Given that Jedi have arguably never been cooler than in the Clone Wars series, it's great to see Cal fighting the comically useless Battle Droids, at least on this planet. Jedi are used to pushing the things around as if they weren't there, and they're evidently giving Cal more force toys to use against them to make it even more satisfying. The Super Battle and Assassin droids are clearly more of a threat so I doubt it'll feel too easy.

I don't think there's a game I'm more excited to play, although it's not one I'm expecting to be "best game ever" material.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:26 am

Looks fine. I was subbed to the EA subscription service when the first one came out which is the only reason I played it at launch. I was never a fan of Cal as a character and thought the story wasn't the best so I'll probably end up waiting till the game gets discounted before playing it.