VR!

Steam, Deals & More.
Raid
Local

Re: VR!

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:51 pm

There's now a way to add custom songs to the Quest 3 version of Beat Saber. It's surprisingly easy, just selecting a few things from menus in a couple of PC apps, but once it's done you can do all of the song downloading from inside Beat Saber itself. I'd honestly forgotten just how user-friendly mods can be when they're not hamstrung artificially by needing to exist in a developer's ecosystem. I was expecting to need to source your own copies of the songs, then pair them with the game maps and hope they sync properly. The difficulty does vary enormously so there's a bit of trial and error needed, I swear some of these are programmed specifically for those with an amphetimine drip, or maybe General Grievous.

It's probably super illegal as it involves downloading music, so I'd feel a bit off posting a link to it, but it's not hard to find the instructions on Reddit and the like.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:05 pm

Tried out powerwashing VR.

That is one addicting game. Shame it runs so crap on the Q3.

Might have to download that game optimizer thing see if it can bump up frame rates or resolution.
Anyway, still love it :)
-- To be completed at some point --

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:22 pm

That reminds me... How the hell do I create a referral link so peeps can save 25%?
I also got Vampire Masquerade but haven't played it yet.

The Meta site is awful for even just finding my games I have installed.

Edit: Which now makes me wonder. Is oculus store and Meta store one and the same or separate?
What a bad website

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:21 pm

Rusty wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:22 pm

Edit: Which now makes me wonder. Is oculus store and Meta store one and the same or separate?
What a bad website
I haven't been able to work that out. I own a few things on the Oculus store from my Rift days, and I'm fairly sure I'm using the same account, but I don't seem to be able to install them. That may just be because the versions available for the Quest are *slightly* different so owning the PC version won't mean owning the Quest one, but then I had the Quest version of Robo Recall available so I can't really tell.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:57 pm

So the Quest just became a native Steam VR headset.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110 ... 5991825336

I've given a couple of titles a try (I haven't installed a lot of PC VR titles since my system refresh during the summer), and it's clearly better than Virtual Desktop. VD's compression causes some very obvious ghosting when bright areas meet dark ones (say, the racing line guide against a racing track surface), but this doesn't seem to suffer from the same problem. There's also absolutely no setup required beyond just selecting your PC to start.

HL: Alyx will be the big test, given it's full of dark areas and quite demanding on your PC, I just didn't have it installed.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:03 pm

Wowsers. Just fired up Steamlink and Alyx... perfect. Like playing it in my index.

So simple to get working too. I haven't gone anywhere dark yet but so far it's soooo clear.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:31 pm

Yeah, holy crap, Alyx looks incredible on this thing, and I don't remember seeing a single compression artifact. I had one or two stutters, but as they seemed to happen when I was leaning in close to something (ie: only in certain situations that I doubt were network related), it could just have been the game. I think it even uses less battery than Virtual Desktop, likely because the codec used requires less on-device decoding.

Valve have absolutely knocked this out of the park. It's not just useful, it's a selling point for the headset.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:22 am

Some Amazon vouchers for my 10 years anniversary at my company got my wallet prised open and I now also have a Quest 3 - what a piece of kit. And yes, Half Life Alyx is bloody incredible.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:09 pm

Noice.
Did you get Asgards wrath 2 with your headset?
I haven't started it yet but loved the first one (it was a pcvr thing that I also got free with the headset)
Mini golf is also fun. Have a laugh yesterday playing it. Especially if you unlock the hard levels you then get a treasure trail thing to find some things hidden around the courses.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:28 am

I did indeed get Asgards Wrath 2 - I have redeemed it but not installed or tried it yet. Funnily enough I saw an advert on TV for the Quest last night with some footage of the game and it looked really good, so will be having a dabble at some stage.

So far I have been playing Alyx, Beat Sabre, the new version of Pokerstars (it used to be on the Oculus as a virtual poker game where you could play with pretend money or real money, now they have a new version in Beta where the real money element has been removed - it is just fun to play poker with a bunch of strangers) and a cool little ten pin bowling game. Will look up the mini golf :)
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:24 am

Is it just called Mini Golf? There are quite a few mini golf games to choose from.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:51 pm

https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/gbr ... p_referral
Walkabout mini golf.

Potential money saver link if its not on sale.

Shout before anyone buys anything and I'll check my list of bought ones for referral codes

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:16 pm

I'd gone and bought it before I thought to ask for a referral link :lol:

Lovely little game. Snowy and I played a round earlier. I've bought the handful of courses that are on sale individually. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Upside Town and Shangri-La are only 79p each right now.

Out of interest, has anyone ever managed to purchase literally anything from the Meta store and have the transaction go through first time? Every single time I've bought something, I've had to make multiple attempts (and I know the PIN's right).

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:49 pm

Raid wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:16 pm
Lovely little game. Snowy and I played a round earlier. I've bought the handful of courses that are on sale individually. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Upside Town and Shangri-La are only 79p each right now.
Just to echo this, a really nice little game. A lot of fun to play as a co-op experience, Raid and I were chatting the whole way through and amused the whole time - mostly at seeing each others physical exasperation and (less frequent) jubilation from the avatars movements mimicing our own following shots :D
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:01 pm

It didn't occur to me until after our session that I'd started doing Cloud Strife's victory animation with my golf stick.