VR!

Steam, Deals & More.
Raid
Local

Re: VR!

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:39 pm

Soooo I bought a Quest 3. As soon as reviews hit that said the lenses were basically invisible, and that the image was clear almost edge-to-edge, I knew I wanted one. The Reverb G2 I've been using for several years had a great screen, but the sweet spot of the lenses in which even just the centre of your vision is sharp is tiny, so if your head movement shakes the headset enough to move it on your head by even a tiny amount, your vision goes blurry. The cable too is a literal pain in the neck, being both quite thick, and connected in a stupid place (basically at your temple) meaning any time you catch it on something you end up yanking your head to one side.

First impressions of the Quest 3 were extremely positive. It's actually a slightly lower resolution screen than the G2 has, but the lenses are so clear, and the sweet spot so generous, that it's substantially sharper in practice. It's intended for mixed reality as much as virtual, and the passthrough cameras are good enough that you can read your phone screen through them, albeit with a little warping if there's much movement - the algorithm that gives you binocular vision is good at a distance, but anything close to the cameras wobbles a lot. You can also use your hands in place of the controllers, which is useful if, for example, you're doing the washing up while watching a Youtube video and you don't want to dry your hands to click on something. Ask me how I know that. But there's a definite wow-factor in having a virtual display hang absolutely perfectly in space. I can walk downstairs to grab something from the kitchen, come back upstairs, and find my virtual window in exactly the same place that I left it - it's almost spooky, and I don't know how they've made the positional tracking that accurate.

This is, strictly speaking, a different category of product to the Reverb, being a fully-contained standalone console. I've only played a couple of games on it so far; Robo Recall, which was actually released for the original Oculus Rift with a Quest 1 version, but it's something I've played before so I can compare the experience. Being freed from the cable is just straight-up better - you don't need to be conscious of the cable, getting it snagged on something and ripping the headset off or breaking something, and you can twist and dodge to your hearts content. It looks like arse compared to the PC version, but then it was condensed to run on mobile hardware from 2019, but it's every bit as fluid and playable. I'd love them to give it a Quest 3 makeover. I did also play a little shooter called Swarm... something, which has you swooping and diving with a pair of grapple guns and no surfaces to land on - I have extremely good VR legs, but even I felt the odd pang of dizziness playing this, but it's pretty good fun for a quick blast.

And then there's the PC connectivity. You can do it with a cable, but sod that, frankly. You do need to buy Virtual Desktop from the Quest store (about twelve quid), but it's amazingly easy to get working. You run an app on the PC, just make sure you're on the same network, and bam, you have your PC screen mirrored inside the headset. You can select environemts like a cinema to run it in, but as this was intended for my sim racing and flying, I used the passthrough cameras and had a giant virtual monitor sitting atop my steering wheel setup (a video I took to show Snowy the issues I was having with the new Forza's force feedback and controls - don't judge my awful performance). This is fine... until you try to run an actual VR game rather than a 2D one on a virtual screen. I'd been connecting directly to my PC's wireless card as I thought it would help with latency, but Windows just can't replicate a good router, and it was entirely unplayable in games that were pushing the PC itself. I checked the bandwidth, and despite being a Wifi 6 connection, I was only getting a fifth of the needed bandwidth.

I've bought myself a Wifi 6 access point, stuck it under my desk, and it's every bit as smooth as in a wired headset. There's some compromise in image quality (the best Wifi in the world can't come within a fifth of the bandwidth of display port - the image must be compressed), but it's entirely useable, but there are a couple of quality settings above the one I tested with (which Virtual Desktop suggest requires a 3090 or 4090). It's worth a loss of a little fidelity, particularly at a distance in a game like F1 2023, to be able to actually use my wing mirrors. The problems with the Reverb's lenses meant that to focus on anything, you had to move your entire head to look directly at it, and that's just not possible when cornering in an F1 car because you need to be looking for the apex of the corner. Now I can just glance left or right by moving my eyeballs like an actual human being. The field of view is just slightly wider too, meaning I get the full wing mirror without turning my head.

There are a few negatives - the audio pipes that Oculus have used since the Rift S just aren't as punchy as the fantastic speakers on the Reverb or Rift CV1, even if they've gotten significantly better in the intervening years, and the headstrap that comes with it needs immediate replacement as it's head-ache inducingly bad if you don't set it up just right (literally, it's like having your head in a vice). You need to add about £90 to the price of the headset (for Virtual Desktop, the Wifi 6 AP if you don't have one, and a third-party strap that's getting good reviews) if you want to do what I'm doing with it. You do of course also have to hold your nose and enter the Meta ecosystem, though as I missed the period where you had to tie your Oculus account to your Facebook one, there is at least a degree of separation there as my two accounts aren't linked.

Anyway, dissertation over. I'm very impressed with it.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:39 am

I bought one too totally based on a Tested review on YouTube. I've got the Vive, the Index and the Quest 2 all sitting there gathering dust but decided I still needed another headset anyway :)

Having not used VR for months I couldn't see the initial difference as I seem to remember it beinbg good anyway .Quest 2 was my go to.. as you say, it's so much better wireless, I was holding out for the Index wireless add ons but the Quest 2 was just good enough.

I actually really liked the mixed reality demo thingy. Scanned my room, spent a little while telling it where doors and windows are and then I was shooting little 'tribbles' left and right in my actual house. Amazing.

I'm happy with the controllers but actually preferred the slight bigger Quest 2 ones as the angle was better for simulating gun grips and also I like the plastic sensor ring thing on it as it was good for putting them down flat. The new ones just rock too much once taken off.

I see what you mean about the headstrap, it was agony (and still is). I bought a really nice BoboVR elite strap (with spare battery that were hot swappable) made a world of difference for longer play times. Playing Fallout or Skyrim for hours at a time were magical.

I'm hesitant to splash out on another headstrap as the one's I was looking at (including the official one) would mean an extra 100 quid on something I may not use that much. I tend to go through spurts of VRing.

I haven't used the oculus link yet. It was perfect on the Quest 2 (and free to use) but most people do recommend Virtual Desktop so may buy that anyway.

Needs links for your Access point (I need to find something that will play nicely with my Virgin router and my beast PC) and headstrap :)
-- To be completed at some point --

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:51 am

I got the AP recommendation from the Virtual Desktop Discord; https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B098FGSHXH? ... ct_details. Be warned it's at least three times as big as it looks like it ought to be and only comes with a vertical stand. I removed it and stuck it to the underside of my desk as it's quite ugly.

I've gone for this strap, and there's a referral code ADAMSSIMPORIUM (the Youtuber I saw the recommendation from) to save another 15% so it's quite reasonable. They are bringing out a power-bank version at the end of the month, but I dare say it wouldn't be too difficult to mount an existing one to it. I haven't received mine yet, I'll post opinions on it when I do.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:52 am

Do they not have native wireless vr anymore like they added to the 2?
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:56 am

I actually had no idea there was official support for it; everyone I saw talking about it mentioned Virtual Desktop, so I guess that's probably the superior solution? I can't see how Meta's would be any improvement, Virtual Desktop is solid and simple to set up.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:06 pm

You used to have to use VD on the 2 but when they added it natively it was the same quality but slightly more straight forward since it was just a button on the huds settings menu.

The VD boys (hey, they named it) deserve the cash either way since they were doing it for years before Metaculus added it.

Thinking about getting one myself though I tend not to play much because I don’t have a great deal of room and it freaks my dog out. I do have access to an empty warehouse because of work and though I’m not saying I have earned overtime playing Pistol Whipped in said empty warehouse I’m not not saying it. Should have kept my Q2!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:11 pm

Considering this new headstrap was only £26, it's an absolute no-brainer to upgrade from the jockstrap Meta supplies with the headset. It's a vast improvement, given that it cradles the back of your skull like every VR headstrap should, and takes all the pressure off of my forehead. It did ship from China, which is my own fault for not noticing before ordering, but for the price I'm not going to quibble over a few extra days.

I think if I make one other upgrade, it'll be to a new facial interface, as the material Meta's uses is a bit scratchy on the face, but it's less of an issue than the strap was.

This is the store link: https://zybervr.com/en-gb/products/zybe ... lite-strap
Stick this promo code in for an extra fiver off (from the guy I saw recommending it): ADAMSSIMPORIUM

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:57 am

My headstrap turned up yesterday, quicker than I thought it would. The instructions are a bit sparse for attaching it but using slightly more force than I expected, the back bracket finally attached.
Seems comfy enough, I loved my bobovr but recently found the weird 2 pads on the top of my head hurt like hell. Much prefer the nicely padded over strap this one comes with.

I also bought a round the neck charger. Everything else didn't seem to work right and didn't have the oomph top actually charge the headset whilst I was using it.
Did catch a youtube video saying how this headset needs a powerful charger to actually combat the draw requirements. But this neck version works brilliantly and I don't even feel like I'm wearing it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFF97R18? ... ct_details

It's a shame this headset needs so much stuff to make it truly useable :(

Playing Red Matter at the minute and it looks and plays lovely.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:00 am

A battery pack is something I'll consider eventually, but so far I've been reasonably content with the battery life. It'd be perfect with just half an hour extra though.

I have heard that Quest 2 stuff won't keep the 3 fully charged as it has more power draw than the older model.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:18 pm

I heard that too. I decided I wasn't going to bother getting the quest 3 upgrade for the bobovr quest 2 battery pack as it can't produce enough poke.

I'm going to watch a 3d movie tonight (Dredd 3D) so need a little extra battery power to last the whole film.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:27 pm

Dredd's only 95 minutes long, I've been getting over two hours streaming from my PC; is a film really that much of a power drain?

I've finally gone and bought Beatsaber, after years of thinking it looked fun, but not really wanting to play something that energetic with a heavy cable draped over one shoulder. The game is fantastic and I can understand why people rave about it, but the song selection is kinda dire - it's all original stuff, but it's mostly, and I'm almost certainly going to age myself horribly by trying to name these genres, techno and dubstep, which I don't tend to like. There's stuff from well-known artists on the store, but it's pretty expensive (somewhere between £1 and £1.50 per song). I'll investigate the side-loading of custom songs, which I know is possible on the platform, but I understand hasn't been fully sorted for the Quest 3 yet.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:05 am

I transferred the film to play natively so wasn't sure how much extra drain it will cause. I still haven't tried it as I've been too busy staying up playing games (it's half term).

Luckily, despite being a massive metal head, I love that style of music. Must be the beats I crave. Enough that I seek them out on Spotify to play them :)
I added a sideloaded version of beatsaber and added, what is now my favourite song to play in it, Mr Blue Sky, it's so upbeat. But haven't and probably won't try sideloading it again in the Quest 3. I prefer having it updateable.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:20 am

They haven't gotten Beatsaber modding working on the Quest 3 yet, or at least not without some awkward workaround. The community are actively working on it though so hopefully it won't be too long.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:48 pm

RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:12 pm

Yeah, I'm aware of the site, but the Quest 3 version isn't currently modable, and I don't want to buy it again for Steam.