Remand and ReConquer?

Steam, Deals & More.
Asherons

Re: Remand and ReConquer?

Post by Asherons » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:04 pm

yeah i picked this game up as well, It's been fun replaying it as I used to only be able to play it at a friends house when I was a kid. I have been playing on easy difficulty and still lost a few missions, would prob just stress me out playing it on hard lol.

Lee

Post by Lee » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:48 pm

Mantis wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:49 am
It used to be one of my top genres, one of the few I actually played competitively on ladder modes too. But MOBAs killed it off really, no big developers have wanted to touch it for years. I'm a bit too old and impatient to spend valuable time practicing them now too. StarCraft 2 was pretty good but I cannot be bothered with something so twitchy and focused on clicks per minute.

I think the last truly great RTS that came out was the first Company of Heroes and that was over fifteen years ago!

Grey Goo and Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation are two great RTS games as well :)

If it this is on sale in the Steam sales in I think a week and half will probably snap it up to replay. I do own CD's and the big box collectors edition already. Would have liked if they fixed the old pathfinding issues though.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:55 pm

Ok, this has to be the first game in years to make me actually, properly rage quit. GDI Mission 8. Dr. Mobius. Destroy two NOD bases at opposite sides of the map, while defending a civilian village plagued with Tiberium. There's a hidden limit as to how many civilians can die before you fail the mission. I think I must have failed the mission 30 times altogether.

NOD will, seemingly at random, decide to target the civilians. They fly Chinooks in full of flamethrower troops entirely at random; you can load a mid-mission save game multiple times and sometimes a chopper will spawn and sometimes it won't. You have two bases constantly throwing tanks and dirt buggies and flamethrower troops at you. There is only a small supply of Tiberium at any of your ideal base locations. You cannot control the villagers and they randomly walk around the map. Occasionally they'll run into a field of Tiberium and just die. I've seen a NOD tank drive halfway across the map just to squish a civilian who was standing in the middle of bloody nowhere for no reason, powerless to stop it. The only static base defense you have at this point is the guard tower, which is basically useless, so you need to position troops at every possible location that you'll be attacked from, and there are just too many.

The only way I can see to do this blasted thing is to cheese it with the sandbags exploit.

Edit: Yep, did it first time with the sandbag trick. No thanks to this dickhead, standing smack bang in the middle of the map that NOD troops would randomly kill when I couldn't lose one more civilian:

Incidentally, the excellent soundtrack has been uploaded to a variety of streaming services: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... k-released

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:54 pm

I've burnt out on it quite hard and taken a break too. As classic a game as it is and regardless of how lovingly handled this remaster is, boy does the design shows its age.

I don't really recall much of the Red Alert campaign so I'm hoping that some of the super basic issues that I've rediscovered with the first game are fixed.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:08 pm

As for soundtrack, I forget if I posted this before but a mate linked me a few weeks ago:

Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:47 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:54 pm
I've burnt out on it quite hard and taken a break too. As classic a game as it is and regardless of how lovingly handled this remaster is, boy does the design shows its age.

I don't really recall much of the Red Alert campaign so I'm hoping that some of the super basic issues that I've rediscovered with the first game are fixed.
I'm determined to finish at least the GDI campaign, but yeah it's a real slog sometimes. This was by far the most egregious example of poor mission design though; having to defend so many places at once (there simply isn't time to react to threats as they emerge, you absolutely needed to leave units in place despite your resources being severely limited) with a hard limit in how many extremely vulnerable civilians that you have no control over was just crap. It was also blatantly obvious how much the AI was cheating. Their unit production was in no way linked to their harvesting operations, and they would occasionally just spawn in four vehicles in quick succession (ie: one cargo plane one after another) when there was no way their airstrip could have produced them that quickly.