Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
elgaucho

Re: Currently Playing

Post by elgaucho » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:45 pm

Raid wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:31 pm
I've finally gotten around to grabbing Hades. I'm a massive fan of Supergiant's visual and sound designs, but it's only really Bastion that clicked with me on a gameplay level. Hades is definitely strong on the aesthetics, but I'm not quite convinced of the gameplay yet. There's a good chance I'm going to end up loving it, but my biggest successes so far have come from spamming attacks and dashes, which is kinda fun but not particularly deep (and I dread to think what it's doing to my spacebar). I got to the boss in the third level that way - I think I had one of Poseidon's boons which makes your dash do damage and knockback, combined with the Shield weapon that does short range damage.
I think this was my game of the year. I absolutely love Hades, and i think it's the best supergiant game to have come out.

Bear in mind that early on you don't get access to all the gods or their boons, and that you're probably farming darkness to unlock some of the boons etc. This system alone gives you a huge amount of replayability.

You'll also unlock all of the different weapon types - there's definitely some stronger than others. And within each weapon type you have the aspects to be unlocked.

What it ends up meaning, eventually, is that you have a lot of possible combinations to progress. Hades isn't about finishing it once and being done with it. It's about enjoying each run, and going along with the randomisation of boons, gods, duo pairings etc.

When you've eventually cleared the game on normal, you can repeat it, increasing "heat" levels, so you get a challenge that is commensurate with your skill. Eventually you get pretty familiar with the biomes and enemies, but for me at least it hasn't gotten dull.

I genuinely hope you enjoy it. Take the time to enjoy the little stories and the characters too - they're sooo well done! :D
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:01 pm

I'm certainly going to persevere given that a lot of people have said it's a GotY contender. Clearly the skill ceiling has to be higher than it looks at the moment.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:11 pm

Shadow of the Tomb Raider
I've spent some time this week invested in a good old story driven game, and the last of the new Tomb Raider games.

I'm way behind getting to this third one, but it's the first time in a very long time I've had enough time to delve into a game without having to eke out time at weekends and on evenings.

I think the whole trilogy is excellent. They really hit a good balance between decent (passable) storytelling and gameplay.

I generally find that these games have done everything... well. Not Excellent. But well. And it's the aggregate of all the well done things that make it an overall great game.

Combat isn't the best, but it's good. The story isn't particularly, but it keeps you rolling through the story without pulling you away from the gaming. The movements are sometimes irksome and you'll die an accidental death due to how Lara interacts with the environment, but it's good enough, with reloading times that aren't too bad. The skill system is enough to give you some diversity, and level scaling is smooth throughout so you're constantly getting new skills at a steady pace for the time invested. This prevents it from ever feeling grindy.
Sound is excellent. And the environments... wow... I love them. I think the art and game design team are absolutely incredible.

For all these reasons, I think this series is fantastic, and sufficiently predictable in its direction that I'd definitely buy more of them. Shame that in the time it's taken me to catch up there isn't yet any news of another game! boo!
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:35 pm

Mad Max
I've only played a tiny bit so far but first impressions are pretty bad. Very dated visuals, unbelievably bad control scheme and trying to drive a car is like steering a drunk brick. This is from the guys who made the Just Cause games so I'm genuinely perplexed at the over all quality. I know some people hold this in high regard so does it improve as you level up or something?

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:23 pm

I mentioned it in a previous post, but I'm going to give a second shoutout to Gunfire Reborn.

I'm finding a lot of replayability on this, and a lot of fun. I just got to the third world on it, I had a monstrous build that was decimating everything, but I got arrogant and deservedly got my butt one shotted by an elite. The bird dude is savage!

For the price this game is excellent value! :D

A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:52 am

Animalmother wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:35 pm
Mad Max
I've only played a tiny bit so far but first impressions are pretty bad. Very dated visuals, unbelievably bad control scheme and trying to drive a car is like steering a drunk brick. This is from the guys who made the Just Cause games so I'm genuinely perplexed at the over all quality. I know some people hold this in high regard so does it improve as you level up or something?
The car control not so much, a bit better but my car is approaching all the upgrades and you still can't control the slide at times. The fighting and foot controls are better with experience and upgrades.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:02 pm

REmake3
Maaaaaan this feels real rough after just finishing TLoU2! Reallllllly rough! :lol:
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:17 pm

Rossell wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:52 am
Animalmother wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:35 pm
Mad Max
The car control not so much, a bit better but my car is approaching all the upgrades and you still can't control the slide at times. The fighting and foot controls are better with experience and upgrades.
I've out about 20 odd hours into this since that post and am really enjoying it now. Have my car pretty highly upgraded, the explosive spears make car combat much easier now. Is this game even set in Australia, apart from Max pretty much everyone sounds American?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:42 pm

Glad it's grown on you AM, have to say I really enjoyed Mad Max, enough to have played it through a couple of times.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:45 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:42 pm
Glad it's grown on you AM, have to say I really enjoyed Mad Max, enough to have played it through a couple of times.
Yeah it's definitely something you need to give a chance. I've grown strangely fond of my little man goblin Chum Bucket :lol: Dinky Di is a yappy pain in ear holes though..

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:19 pm

Heh also glad you're enjoying it too. Shame I can't get the platinum trophy now because the servers have shut down otherwise I'd have a crack at it. Chapter 3 done, got some wasteland missions to do than it's on with finishing the story 😁

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:34 pm

Mass Effect
I swore to myself I'd wait until the remasters came out but I started playing the first game again last night. It's the 360 version so it looks pretty jank on a 4k TV but it sucked me straight in like it did 12 odd years ago. The combat is a tad iffy but it does the job and the cover system works. I'll probably won't finish it again but it does make me want the remaster even more now.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:13 pm

REmake3
Yeah this is rough. With the originals I dont like 2 much bu I really liked 3, in the reakes I loved 2 and 3 was just a bit shit. Nemesis isnt as fun as MrX, the area design was quite annoing and the voice work seemed really quite bad. It had some fun dumb moments for sure, it wasnt awful but it just wasnt that good either. The opening C&C style cinematic is quite timely and also the best thing about it really....

A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:05 pm

Finished Mad Max after. Felt the final boss fight was a little underwhelming but there it is.

Splitting time now between Infamous Second Son and going for a Plat on Shadow of the Tomb Raider. This involves the Deadly Obsession difficulty which throws you back to the last base camp if you die. And the devs decided finishing this is only worth a bronze trophy the bastards. Thankfully my Lara is almost fully upgraded with the dlc skills as well so we'll see.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:05 pm

Made it to Gastown finally in Mad Max, still don't have a V8 engine for some reason :/