Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Maturin

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Maturin » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:52 pm

I picked up Slay the Spire on sale. I think it was Sly who recommended it once. Enjoying it!

I was victorious on the 2nd attempt with Ironclad. :D

...but the Silent is taking longer, he's much more squishy. Very nice risk/reward stuff going on when planning which path to take - elite enemies give out amazing relics, but can really screw you over if things go bad.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:15 am

Maturin wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:52 pm
I picked up Slay the Spire on sale. I think it was Sly who recommended it once. Enjoying it!

I was victorious on the 2nd attempt with Ironclad. :D

...but the Silent is taking longer, he's much more squishy. Very nice risk/reward stuff going on when planning which path to take - elite enemies give out amazing relics, but can really screw you over if things go bad.
Absolutely excellent game!

2nd attempt? Methinks you got lucky! :o
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:28 am

I got a relic very early on if I recall which gave me extra energy each round, plus a couple of max health increases. I haven't even got all the unlocks on the Ironclad yet.

Initially I was thinking "is that it?" until I hit the brick wall with the Silent character. You have to be very, very careful (and lucky) with the deck building to stand a chance - but then I think in the standard mode, if I'm not mistaken Ironclad is intentionally a tad easier than the others. The health regen at the end of each battle makes a huge difference.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:24 am

elgaucho wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:15 am

2nd attempt? Methinks you got lucky! :o
Remember he’s only falling asleep ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:22 am

Darkest Dungeon
Had this for ages but only fairly recently started properly playing it and its really good and really frustrating and really arse puckering. The last run I had my healer was so stressed out she kept having heart attacks but luckily her party heal kept her alive by the skin of her teeth during fights and kept pumping food into her out of battle. Mostly playing it on Vita and I think the chap that came up with the controller scheme should maybe be demoted to toilet duty because theyre pretty bad.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:53 pm

Half Life Alyx
So I'm not a big fan of HL. I love the original when youre not fighting aliens and I think 2 and its Eps have great ideas but terrible pacing that runs those ideas into the ground and just become a chore. Up till now the best half life was Uplink but now Alyx is by far the best Half Life. It has fantastic ideas, mostly good, fun and inventive puzzles - though it does get a bit on the running them into the ground front. The visuals and sound just draw you right in like no other VR game. Theres a level in a hotel and the rugs in the hall are bunched up and I was so into it that I thought I was going to trip up on them to the point I had to stop for a minute and gather myself. Gravity gloves just feel great to use, reloading is at first hard in a fight but by the end you feel like Roland Deschain! Bonus points for having a pistol thats always viable and often the best choice. Oh and its also fairly funny at times. Its a very good game.

The tie ins with Half Life 3 are quite interesting too..... :-$

I have never felt so bad for the healing machine slugs :(

Superhot VR is still better though imo ;)

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:19 pm

Enter the Gungeon

I've done it, after three or four years of playing this fantastic game on and off. I've crafted the Bullet That Can Kill The Past, and I've defeated the past self of my favourite character; the Marine (my forum avatar). Admitedly I did this on Rainbow Mode, which allows you to select one of 6 items (most of them high level) at the start of every chamber, but gives you absolutely no loot other than basic pickups (keys which are useless as the chests don't contain anything, hearts, armour and ammo).

So yeah, I got given the Big Shooty Gun in chamber 2, which kills every enemy in the room with one shot. :lol: I survived almost the entire game by clearing rooms and picking up ammo drops when I got lucky. I didn't even get around to using the Marine's free ammo drop item.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:04 pm

Ion Fury

Fuck me this game is hard...

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:50 pm

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Control scheme manages to be both innovative and crap at the same time. However the story has emotionally ruined me. A game you will only need to play once.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:54 pm

Rossell wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:50 pm

Control scheme manages to be both innovative and crap at the same time. However the story has emotionally ruined me. A game you will only need to play once.
Yup, pretty much sums it up for me as well.

If you want to be even further emotionally ruined, I highly recommend Rime as well...

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:59 pm

Rossell wrote:

On top of The Last of Us 2? You'll be a husk sir!!

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:10 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:59 pm
Rossell wrote:

On top of The Last of Us 2? You'll be a husk sir!!
Heh. You're right, I've been on quite the "games that destroy you" bender recently. One of the next games on my list to finish as Sly mentioned is indeed Rime :lol:

Edit: oh but to help me out, I also platted The Order: 1886 recently so I've had some badly written shooty up action in between.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:22 pm

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

I seem to have a knack for putting down games for months right before the end. Turns out I only had a single level of this left, and relearning a fairly tricky combat system by playing the final boss fight was perhaps not the best way to go about experiencing the ending. :lol:

Still, I thought it was a pretty good title, and I don't agree with some of the criticism it garnered. I think the Dark Souls model is a good fit for a Star Wars game; sure, a lightsaber should cut through pretty much anything so it doesn't make sense that some enemies can take a lot of hits, but there's a fair bit of skill involved and you can explain away the respawn-reclaim-your-XP with some sort of force... thing. Either way it's a decent third-person hack-and-slash game. The Metroidvania elements can be a little tedious as there's no fast-travel system whatsoever, but it does at least highlight areas you're both capable and incapable of passing based on your current move set. The story isn't exactly going to make you gasp with excitement, but it takes you to interesting places, Cal has a fairly respectable arc (even if he's as plain a protagonist as you'd expect for Star Wars) and has the odd twist or two. It's pretty lavish, visually (with the exception of some fairly ropey facial animations) and aurally, with one of the better Star Wars soundtracks that doesn't involve ripping off John Williams' original score. I can't help but geek out a little at the variety of lightsaber parts, which allow you to build quite varied designs.

It's on Gamepass at the moment, I'd say it's a no-brainer if you're a subscriber, but it's worth your attention regardless if you're a Star Wars fan. I do hope it gets a sequel.
Last edited by Raid on Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:40 pm

I must be missing something with this EA on Gamepass lark, as I've checked the Xbox app on my PC a number of times and can't see a single EA game at all.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:43 pm

Do you have Gamepass Ultimate? It only comes with that. Fallen Order appears on my Gamepass app, it hadn't occurred to me that it would obviously be locked behind the EA wall.