Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Re: Summer Game Fest

Post by Medicine Man » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:48 pm

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Re: Steam News & Updates

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:13 pm

Steam Game Festival: Summer Edition starts today...

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/gamefestival

Its got demos and shit.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:24 pm

900 demos :P

Downloaded 2 - Builders Of Egypt and Retro Machina
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Lee

Post by Lee » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:34 pm

Iron harvest, Desperedos 3, Everspace 2 and Ghostrunner downloaded so far to try out in a bit. Then go snooping through the list to see what else tickles my fancy :)
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:03 pm

This is what I have tried so far and a few thoughts on them.

Iron Oath: Beautiful pixel art turn-based tactical game. Starts you in a dungeon which has a similar layout to those in Darkest Dungeon complete with a timer that ticks down as you explore. Combat takes place on the usual turn-based grid and was harder than I was expecting. There is a fair bit of story with dialogue choices to be made at various points, writing was decent but had the odd word or phrase that seemed out of place. I already had this on my wishlist and it will stay there but the combat did put me off a bit. (edited)

Colt Canyon: Semi-top down western shooter with roguelike elements. I really like the low-fi style and the combat was a lot of fun, has a really satisfying melee attack that you can use to take out enemies in one hit if you catch them unaware, combined with the dodge-roll it's a pleasure to use. Played enough to know that I'll pick this up at some point.

Disjunction: Stealth-based game where you play a detective investigating the wrongful arrest of an acquaintance. Has a much more adventure game feel to it than I was expecting with quite a few dialogue choices. When you head out on a mission you are basically tasked with making your way through an area that is under heavy guard, you will need to take out most of the guards using either lethal or non-lethal force and whichever you choose impacts the dialogue you get with your client afterwards, I am unsure how this will play out over the course of the game but I thought it was a neat addition. You have a number of skills that you can use to help get past guards which are non-lethal in nature and use of energy which can be replenished via drops. There is a small tech tree that appears to allow you to spec in a few different ways, again focusing on whether you want to by lethal or non-lethal in your approach. My only worry is that I might have seen all that the game has to offer in terms of gameplay and if that is the case it might get a bit samey. Hopefully the story side of the game will be able to pick up the slack.

Grounded: Feels a lot like your normal survival game but the setting really helps to make it feel different. Ants have to be the cutest thing, they run around you chirping when they see you and will also bring you honeydew. The usual rules apply, you grab materials from the world to craft stuff and you can research materials to get new recipes. Grass can be chopped down to form planks that you can then use to construct a home. Combat is a bit iffy when using a pad, there isn't really any lock on so it feels like I am just flailing about trying to hit something, building stuff also feels a bit off when using a pad, a bit like the construction stuff from Fallout 4 where things are supposed to snap together to make it easier but it is actually awkward to get things to line up the way you want. I did appreciate that the walls have an arrow pointing in a direction so that you know how to line them up so that they face the same way.

One final note, I'm not really scared of spiders in games but the ones in this game really put the willies up me, they are massive and although the are cartoony in nature due to the art style the fact that they tower over you and you know they can kill you easily combines to make them a scary prospect.

I'd be interested to see what they turn into when you have the accessibility mode turned on.

Paradise Killer: The game is like a cross between someone's fever dream and a student Unreal Engine project. The dialogue is a bit rough in places and could do with an editor looking at it. Music appears to be being played out of invisible speakers in the environment so it is really loud in some places and quieter in others.It feels very rough but it also feels like there could be something there, it's an intriguing thing.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:19 pm

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:40 am

Pleased to say that steam sales don't excite me anymore. The epic sales (with the tenner discount) were more exciting, plus all the free games from Epic, Gog and Twitch. I think I'm full.
The only game I've spent serious money on is Escape from Tarkov.
-- To be completed at some point --

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:06 am

so you recommend that - I on the fence as it looks like a huge time sink. Is it just a battle royale rinse and repeat ?

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:13 am

No, you don't have to be the last person standing, you can collect a bunch of loot then make your way to a completely unsignposted magical exit that can be seemingly anywhere.

Needless to say I don't really enjoy it.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:59 am

It's one of the hardest games I've played that makes my heart rate go very high even when just starting a round.

Love it. Looting. Shooting. Hiding. Running. It's got it all. Big learning curve and almost impossible without third party websites but I frequent quite a few twitch players who are usually welcoming and instructional.
-- To be completed at some point --

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:53 am

For those looking for a slower paced, smaller scale battle royale game: Hunt Showdown is currently down to £20.

It's one of the single best multiplayer games I've played in years.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:49 am

I picked up the Blood & Wine DLC for Witcher 3 for £6.

I thought I might as well do it now while I've got the main game installed and I'm currently playing through it. Otherwise it would just get added to the Bought But Never Gets Played backlog.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:20 pm

Drarok wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:13 am
No, you don't have to be the last person standing, you can collect a bunch of loot then make your way to a completely unsignposted magical exit that can be seemingly anywhere.

so if you get shot and someone takes your loot - is that gone forever ?

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:02 pm

Drarok wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:13 am

"Hyper-realistic soldier sim"
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:24 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:20 pm
so if you get shot and someone takes your loot - is that gone forever ?
The loot? Yep. If you lose it, poof. Gone.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.