The Game Awards 2022 December 8

Steam, Deals & More.
Lenny Solidus

The Game Awards 2022 December 8

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:10 am

Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Raid
Local

Re: The Game Awards 2022 December 8

Post by Raid » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:40 am

Jedi: Survivor is something I'm quite looking forward to. They're obviously changing the gameplay up a bit as Cal now seems to have a blaster (there are several pre-order bonuses that change its appearance).

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:49 am

I didn't expect to enjoy J:FO as much as I did, because it was described as being a Soulslike and it's not a genre I derive much enjoyment from, but I had a really great time with it. Probably not a day 1 purchase because at these prices I can't afford to do that for new AAA games, but should it hit GP at some point as the first did I'll definitely play it there.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:06 pm

I enjoyed the Fallen Order well enough, doubt I will be jumping in on Survivor though unless the game is drastically different. Found the story rather lacking and the game in general a bit repetitive.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:49 pm

My own personal hopes for a sequel are that it's better in a variety of ways than its unpolished feeling predecessor because I didn't think it was up to the standards that we know Respawn capable of. I've not finished Fallen Order, I perhaps never will because I found the combat movement and parkour so incredibly janky and all a bit too tedious in nature it put me off doing so. I got about half way and decided I just wasn't feeling it. I fully appreciate the effort of what they attempted as a Star Wars inspired Soulslike, though the Star Wars sheen tends to cover up a bountiful degree of flaws for some.

I still don't think it is a particularly good game Star Wars or otherwise, it seems I am very much in the minority though. Anyway, here's hoping it gets altered in a lot of impactful ways I feel would greatly benefit it and that it doesn't just stick to the foot trodden path of J:FO. Soulslikes still are mostly not for me, even if they are based on Star Wars it would seem.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:57 pm

Lol some pretty diverse opinions on FO. However, I've just seen it's £4 on Steam right now so I'm jumping on that, played on GP the first time and wouldn't mind owning it for a future replay.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:22 am

I bounced clean off it. I was enjoying it initially although I thought the damage model was a bit too unforgiving, then I met the big alien frog-thing, got handed my arse a lot, and uninstalled.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:52 am

I didn't enjoy it either and I can't point at one particular reason why. Honestly, I think part of it is that Cal's pug-ugly face annoys me. :lol:

More seriously, I found it difficult to invest in the story. Part of the mythological strength of the original Star Wars trilogy is the idea that Yoda and Obi-Wan were the only surviving Jedi, because Vader hunted them down and wiped them all out. But over the course of a couple of decades, new Star Wars material has crept in more and more hidden Jedi that somehow survived Order 66 and Vader's subsequent Jedi-hunt, to the point where it feels like all the survivors could quite easily have re-formed the Jedi order and taken on the Emperor long before Luke and Leia somehow became their last hope. It cheapens the whole thing.

And then Cal comes along, as yet another Jedi-in-hiding. Fuck off, Cal.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:12 am

Yeah I bounced off it as well which was a shame as it looked like a well made game, it was more my complete inability to get on with any Souls like style of games though.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:08 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:52 am
It cheapens the whole thing.
Honestly it seems to be par for the course with the Star Wars franchise, even extending back to the original trilogy. Obi Wan tells Luke that Darth Vader betrayed and murdered Anakin Skywalker, which was later retconned into them being the same person, and Obi Wan covers his outright lie because it was true "from a certain point of view". Then Ahsoka Tano survives the Clone Wars and Order 66, but she's not one of the last remaining Jedi that Tarkin and Vader discuss because she technically left the Jedi order. There can only be two Sith but Maul survives beyond the point that Count Dooku takes over his role as Sidious' apprentice, and then Dooku himself has an apprentice in Asajj Ventress. Luke tells Kylo that when defeated Kylo won't have killed the last remaining Jedi, but Rey has never actually been made a Jedi Knight. They can't seem to decide whether being bestowed the title makes you a Jedi or not.

Star Wars is a series that seems to survive on technicalities, and I think you have to just accept that it's a convoluted mess and hope that the laser swords and pew pew space battles are enough to maintain your enthusiasm.

I do agree on Cal's face though. I wasn't sure whether it was just the actor or dodgy motion capture of said actor (I had a similar issue with Cere so I'm expecting it to be the latter), but it just didn't look right.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:38 am

Somebody made a very impressive mod where you can play in Mandalorian armor, even the voice was redone.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:27 am

:o :o :o :o
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:49 am

So I had a look down Eurogamer's list of Everything announced at The Game Awards 2022, opening the trailers I was interested in as I went, and by the end of the page I had 14 new tabs open, so there was a fair amount there I was interested in. There's nothing particularly imminent besides a new game mode for Among Us, but it's looking like 2023 might be a pretty good year for games.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:38 am

Quite a lot of good stuff announced. Death Stranding 2 in particular, very very excited about that.
Alan wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:27 am

:o :o :o :o
That is an amazing crossover.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:49 pm

The return of Ken Levine