General Gaming News

Steam, Deals & More.
Alan

Re: General Gaming News

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:24 pm

Ubi points do give a nice 20% anything in their store so their launcher has that going for it. Id still rather pay 20% more and get it on steam using the slim uplay though so.... :-k
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:59 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:39 pm
Raid wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:09 am
Were it just Steam (I suspect that's the only launcher we all actually like)
I used to like GOG Galaxy, but as of a year or so ago it's become an unstable mess with constant drops in connection, failed installations and other crap.
Huh, I uses GOG Galaxy every day to launch Genshin and Old School Runescape through and it works live a charm. It is mostly just third party stuff I use it for though. That and keeping a collection log of what games I am playing and have completed.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:15 pm

There are some angry threads on the GOG forums about the state of Galaxy. I've had the problem with it going offline frequently (internet connection is solid, it's just Galaxy) which means large unattended downloads are liable to stop at a random point. Very frustrating.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:48 pm

Well here's something I didn't expect in a million years. Dark Forces, the mid-90s Star Wars FPS, is getting a remaster, and it's by Nightdive Studios!

Not only was this originally by the defunct LucasArts, but it's pre-Disney so no longer considered canon, and actually directly contradicts Disney's own content. Jan Ors and Kyle Katarn are no longer the Rebel agents who stole the Death Star plans, they were replaced by the barely renamed Jyn Erso and Cassian Andor, and the Dark Troopers which were created for this game (and which are central to the plot, so not just side characters whose involvement can be glossed over) have a different origin story ever since they appeared in The Mandalorian. I'm genuinely surprised it was given the go-ahead as Star Wars content is quite tightly controlled by Mickey and friends.
Last edited by Raid on Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:05 pm

Dark Forces was the game that introduced me to Star Wars. I hope it still plays well!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:14 pm

I think it plays just as well as any of the other major 2.5D FPS games from that era. It was never quite as good as Doom, but it's still a great shooter.

Dark Forces was just one of the many 90s Star Wars games that made me a fan of the franchise, and I still fondly remember many of them. Hell, I flew Jan Ors piloting the Moldy Crow in one of my X-Wing:TMG squads a few weeks back.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:26 pm

Nice. Maybe Nightdive can look into getting Dark Forces II remastered as well, as im reading reviews complaining of techincal issues with modern systems.

I never finished the Dark Forces II expansion pack, the Jedi temple near the end with the reanimated fighters with lightsabers spooked me out a bit too much.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:06 pm

Wow, Mimimi, who developed the excellent Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, Desperadoes 3 and most recently Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew... are closing down :(

They say they've burned out and don't want to commit to any more gruelling development cycles:

https://www.pcgamer.com/shadow-tactics- ... -families/

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:56 pm

Noooo, was hoping for them to get the license for Commandos one day and do a remake.

Shadow Tactics is an absolute classic. Definitely my favourite of theirs.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:03 am

Well that’s ruined my day :(

They are saying they’ll support Gambit with extra content. I feel they should have held off on the announcement for a few months and let Gambit breathe.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:29 pm

https://www.ign.com/articles/saints-row ... acer-group

Another gone. Shame they focused all their effort on their worst ip for the last decade.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:40 pm

This is coming along amazingly! There’s no way to import new animations at present so all the new looking animations are other ones already in the game spliced together to make new ones. They’re putting a lot of effort in to breaking life into MvC3!

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:25 am

Stargate Timekeepers

So it’s a kind of a Mimimi game :-k

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:54 pm

Ooh! Stellaris Trek!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:12 pm

I'm still nerdily amused that they're using the Cardassian Union as the fourth power worthy of making playable, when the other three would squash them like ants if challenged.