Fighting Fantasy

For your eyes and ears.
Achtung Englander

Fighting Fantasy

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:44 pm

As a huge fan of the FF books (I have the complete set bar 9 books) and bought them since the original print (I was really into fantasy when I was 10 and it actually helped me to get into books big time that since that age I have never been without a book on the go) I am off to FF Fest 3:

https://www.fightingfantasy.com/fighting-fantasy-fest-3

The added advantage is that it is at my old Uni as well when I went there back in the early 90s. It will be nostalgia plus for me.

If anyone wants to go I would be happy to hook up with you.

edit - Mantis you probably want to move this to Literature folder !
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:48 pm

I saw other kids reading these when I was a child. I wanted to get involved too, but for some reason never did.

I briefly took an interest in 2013 when there was a bit of commotion surrounding the 20th anniversary of The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. I got caught up in the excitement, collected all the modern re-prints and bought tickets to the very first Fighting Fantasy Fest. However, I very quickly lost interest again after actually meeting other fans of the series and finding them to be, on the whole, a most unpleasant crowd.

I never went to the first FFF in the end -- I gave my tickets away to some Italian bloke -- and I sold all the books.
Last edited by Stormbringer on Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:50 pm

Read quite a few of them when I was a kid, our local library had a good stock of them so was able to get through a fair few.

I always cheated though, auto-winning the combats and keeping my fingers in the pages so if my choice didn't work out I could go back.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:54 pm

Me too. Cheat ahoy.

It's nice that my son has now gained interest in these so I'm always on the look out for these books at charity shops.
-- To be completed at some point --

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:28 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:44 pm
As a huge fan of the FF books (I have the complete set bar 9 books) and bought them since the original print (I was really into fantasy when I was 10 and it actually helped me to get into books big time that since that age I have never been without a book on the go) I am off to FF Fest 3:

https://www.fightingfantasy.com/fighting-fantasy-fest-3

The added advantage is that it is at my old Uni as well when I went there back in the early 90s. It will be nostalgia plus for me.

If anyone wants to go I would be happy to hook up with you.

edit - Mantis you probably want to move this to Literature folder !
Which ones are you missing? I amassed most in my youth. If you let me know and I have them, I'll send them. I think I have all of those in more recent print plus a few more, though I'll have to check which when I'm back home.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:50 pm

wow, really !

Are you looking to get rid of them ?

My missing books are

25 Beneath Nightmare Castle
28 Phantoms Of Fear
32 Slaves Of The Abyss
33 Skylord

actually it is just 4 books. Listen Tommy I will only take these off your hands if you do not want them otherwise I will feel dead guilty.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:04 pm

Honestly it’s fine. I’d rather you got some enjoyment from them.

I think I have or had two of those. I think I have Phantoms if Fear and Skylord. I’ll check next time I’m at my parents.

They could’ve given them away, in which case apologies for getting your hopes up.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:53 am

:D

No worries. I will send the you some cash for P and P if you still have them

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:12 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:53 am
:D

No worries. I will send the you some cash for P and P if you still have them
No you won't, It'll be minimal.

I used to love them when I was young, so if there's someone I can pass them to who'll enjoy them then as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy to pay it. Who knows, it might spur me on to look at some of the others. For me it would be purely for nostalgia now I think.

Good times. I remember the first one I bought, and I remember the first time I ever encountered them.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:54 am

Update on this one. I was back at my parent's over Easter and I couldn't find them, though my mother insists she hasn't thrown them out. I'll have another go next time I'm back.