The F1 thread

Running around and stuff.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: The F1 thread

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:09 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:01 pm
As far as the public were concerned, they needed to prevent teams having a direct line to the race director, that's it.
Yep. I can understand a desire to have an appeals process during the race for decisions by the race director, but if every ruling needs appealing (beyond the expected protests by whichever team is being penalised) then the problem is with the rulings, not the appeals process. So on those grounds I agree that they should simply stop teams from contacting the race director during a race. Maybe they can have an intermediary who gets whinged at the entire race and can decide if any matters are actually valid concerns that need taking to the race director.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:33 pm

I wonder if the idea is to have two race controls working in parallel, one of which won't have any contact with the teams and thus can't be influenced. Then they... average out the rulings? Or do they mean that the two control rooms are going to be doing two different jobs, and the "latest technology" bit just means that they'll have a copy of the rulebook in a wiki so they can actually look things up? It wouldn't surprise me with an organisation as old as the FIA that the "rule book" is an actual book about two feet thick.

Did Charlie Whiting not keep a diary they could read? I know things weren't always smooth during his era, it never would be with so much money at stake, but I don't remember it being quite this farcical.

eny

Post by eny » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:21 pm

The rules were perfectly fine for that last race, they weren't followed because money. They are quite happy for the illegitimate champion because they have a new audience for "2022:Justice".

Interesting: Massi will have another role within the FIA...
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:22 pm

Not that surprising. Firing someone is a lot of effort when you can just side-mote them instead.

They couldn't leave him in that role though, he'd fucked it up beyond all saving.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

eny

Post by eny » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:39 pm

It's worth remembering, without a Halo, lewis would have been decapitated by Verstappen...

2:20 on the timeline:

This is the edge of what needs to be clarified for me—just how much bulldozing through corners is or is not acceptable? This is Max's MO, and "is it reckless or racing" is the debate.

– Abraham Lincoln

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:14 pm

Don't be so dramatic. The blow came from above, he'd merely have had several vertebrae and maybe his skull crushed.

Joking aside, that's exactly what the new race controller needs to make clear. Last season was exciting, but the driving standards were shocking in places. I know it's not an easy thing to do, racing drivers aren't going to back down if they think they're in the right (and part of the problem is that Verstappen is always convinced he is), and I'm guessing we'll still see plenty of controversy this year. I just don't enjoy seeing races being decided after the drivers have passed the chequered flag, or indeed being driven to the pits on the back of a moped pulling bits of carbon fibre out of their race suits. If the new regulations have done their job and we see cars more capable of following one another, we're going to see plenty of them alongside one another in spots that maybe aren't usually seen as overtaking areas.

I don't know how you'd prevent cars from coming together really, the only thing I can think of is some sort of penalty for it. Maybe it could be a financial if not a sporting one - with budget caps becoming more important, costly wrecks are going to add up. Drivers aren't going to want to end the season using old spec front wings because they've destroyed all of the new ones.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:29 pm

Massive u-turn from the FIA, will be interesting to see what is in the report that they are now agreeing to publish.

eny

Post by eny » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:37 pm

Mercedes W13 revealed:

– Abraham Lincoln

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:52 pm

I think it's disappointing they've gone back to their older livery. I know it's traditional for the brand, but that gloss black car was really aggressive looking, while the grey (it's not even silver) just isn't very inspiring. It's also pretty funny that they revealed two separate cars on the same day. The renders they released don't match the car in that presentation; the sideplates on the front wing are a different shape, the sidepod intakes look a little squarer on the render, and the diminutive shark fin is entirely different.

But as a whole, this is a great looking set of cars, probably the best looking field in the time I've been watching. I'm not even talking about the liveries (which are pretty strong this year), the cars themselves look so much less boxy. I just hope that the reasoning behind all of it works out, and the racing improves.

eny

Post by eny » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:55 pm

Just missing a bumper rail on the sides.... :-"

– Abraham Lincoln

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:55 am

eny wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:55 pm
Just missing a bumper rail on the sides.... :-"
True, but have you seen the James Bond-style caltrop containers at the back of the car? At least I assume that is what all those spiky logos at the back of it means.

"Here comes Verstappen, looks like he has enough speed to get past Hamilton here.... Wait! No! Verstappen seems to have picked up four punctures!"
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:11 am

The Red Bull countermeasure for this season is just an inflatable Michael Masi they can deploy to spook Mercedes drivers.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:46 pm

Sooo, testing is underway, and it's been... interesting, more for the politics than the performances (which as ever can't be read into too much).

The biggest story is that the Russian GP has been cancelled, Haas have removed the Russian flag livery as of this morning, and it's possible that Mazepin will lose his drive. As much as it's a shitty situation for him (I don't like the guy but I'm not prepared to throw him under the bus because his country's leader is a despot), I have a feeling that the team itself may fold as it's being propped up financially by Mazepin's father, and it's the entire reason he has the seat. I'd be very surprised if the Uralkali deal isn't being wriggled out of by the team's lawyers. I can't imagine Gene Haas is going to fund the team, and Gunther Steiner is probably down to his last few strands of hair by now. Expect a wig come Bahrain, if they actually make it there.

I've been watching Ted's Notebook (Sky F1 publish it to Youtube these days), and he seems to think that Ferrari have really made up some ground on the leaders. He did of course explain their interesting sidepod design through the medium of cheese, as he's known to do in pre-season testing. It's one of those things that seems to be a win or lose philosophy, as it's not something you can change your mind on at a later point. I seem to remember Ferrari getting their front wing design wrong a few years back (it was good initially but couldn't be developed afterward), and they would have had to change their entire aero package to fix. Hopefully that's not the case here.

Mercedes seem to be on the back foot, but the same thing happened last year and they still (ought to have) won both championships.

All of the midfield and front-running teams seem to be covering enormous distances, with Ferrari and Alpha Tauri both doing the equivalent of three race distances yesterday alone. The engine regs haven't changed as far as I'm aware (other than a new change in fuel regulations with a switch to 10% biofuel), so hopefully reliability isn't too big an issue despite the radically different cars.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:27 pm

Some people have said Andretti may buy the Haas assets if it comes to folding time as they've expressed an interest from 2024 onwards. Would be a nice way to get cosy with Ferrari.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:13 pm

I take it Mazipan's father is the reason why he might lose his seat because to kick him out purely for being Russian seems terrible.