The F1 thread

Running around and stuff.
eny

Re: The F1 thread

Post by eny » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:09 pm

Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:51 pm

Snowy wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:07 pm
I do wonder how it will work with Leclerc though, he needs a killer season this year I reckon to keep his top placing.
There is no way in hell Hamilton joined Ferrari without the stipulation that he's either number 1, or the drivers will be treated equally. The latter feels unusual for Ferrari, but then there've been plenty of examples over the last couple of years where we've both been yelling at the TV to use team orders, so who knows?

I can't help but feel a bit uneasy about the Christian Horner stuff. For one, he has almost the same name that I do, so I'll undoubtedly have a barrage of tweets calling me scum the next time I need to log into that excrement heap, but the timing on this just feels a bit suspicious. Red Bull's car launch is on thursday, and it's undoubtedly going to take place without the team's leader. I know Horner isn't well-liked here, but he's incredibly successful and the media love him, and this could so easily be an attempt to destabilise the team because it's going to be a talking point. I don't want to think about how Ted will explain the situation using the bag of sweaty cheese he bought on the way to the testing circuit.

And with several of the new cars having been launched this week, it's obvious that this trend of not bothering to paint large parts of the car is continuing, and it's quite ugly. I liked it when there was a single black car on the grid; the Mercs looked aggressive and were easy to pick out from the pack, but now more than half the field is going to be "black with a single accent colour", and it's not only boring to look at, it's going to make distinguishing them difficult.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:04 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if there are minimum painted area requirements from next season. It's not a good look at all.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:42 pm

Raid wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:51 pm
Snowy wrote:
I do wonder how it will work with Leclerc though, he needs a killer season this year I reckon to keep his top placing.
There is no way in hell Hamilton joined Ferrari without the stipulation that he's either number 1, or the drivers will be treated equally. The latter feels unusual for Ferrari, but then there've been plenty of examples over the last couple of years where we've both been yelling at the TV to use team orders, so who knows?

I can't help but feel a bit uneasy about the Christian Horner stuff. For one, he has almost the same name that I do, so I'll undoubtedly have a barrage of tweets calling me scum the next time I need to log into that excrement heap, but the timing on this just feels a bit suspicious. Red Bull's car launch is on thursday, and it's undoubtedly going to take place without the team's leader. I know Horner isn't well-liked here, but he's incredibly successful and the media love him, and this could so easily be an attempt to destabilise the team because it's going to be a talking point. I don't want to think about how Ted will explain the situation using the bag of sweaty cheese he bought on the way to the testing circuit.

And with several of the new cars having been launched this week, it's obvious that this trend of not bothering to paint large parts of the car is continuing, and it's quite ugly. I liked it when there was a single black car on the grid; the Mercs looked aggressive and were easy to pick out from the pack, but now more than half the field is going to be "black with a single accent colour", and it's not only boring to look at, it's going to make distinguishing them difficult.
I don't think it's anything to do with destabilising the team. Horner has always come across as a bit of a tit and up himself, so I would not be surprised if he was a terrible boss on top.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:22 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:42 pm
Raid wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:51 pm
Snowy wrote:

I don't think it's anything to do with destabilising the team. Horner has always come across as a bit of a tit and up himself, so I would not be surprised if he was a terrible boss on top.
Oh I don't know. I mean, he is an absolute meat-whistle and has much too much influence (the appalling decision at Abu Dhabi in '21 where Hamilton was robbed of the title was almost certainly down to his whining and wheedling), but in the early days at least the more laid-back style of the team was a lot to do with his influence. Attracting Newey was partially down to Horner's management style - which also makes for an interesting question: will Newey stay if Horner goes?

Sure Red Bull these days are just as corporate as the rest, and probably more cut-throat to boot. And yeah Horner is a flute and right up himself no question, but you don't achieve that level of success without being able to bring the team together, that's the magic ingredient and he certainly had it at one stage at least.

I really dislike Red Bull though, and I would not shed a tear if Horner got the boot, indeed I would be praying that Newey then retired if for no other reason that to reset the utter dominance of his car designs.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=