Hatredsheart

How the Entertainment Industry Solved Piracy, Then Made It Popular Again

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:37 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

elgaucho

Re: How the Entertainment Industry Solved Piracy, Then Made It Popular Again

Post by elgaucho » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:40 pm

Indeed. I've long said that there needs to be regulation in the entertainment industry that forces shows (after a "fair" exclusivity period) to be available on all platforms, with some kind of royalties model.

Consumers should be picking the best platform provider to watch shows on, not have to subscribe to 15 of them to be able to watch a gamut of shows.

And before you say it, yes I know it's unrealistic and not going to happen, but it doesn't change the fact that it probably ought to work that way.
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:14 pm

yep just as we suspected. Like the "live service" model in games, people cannot keep on shelling out more and more, something will give. Now ideally we do not actually need this content and that we should pay for it if and when we can, but the world does not work that way. This is internet age when we expect everything for free or paid for that delivers the most convenient and best value. People will just pirate content if they cannot afford to buy it or have no desire to. Given corporations just see as wallets anyway I do not lose any sleep over this.

Until my son begs me to sub to Disney, I will not get it. Unless BritBox expands its library of content I will not bother. With all the original stuff coming out from Netflix and Prime, that is good enough for me (for now).
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:38 am

Just cancelled my Netflix account. I don't use it enough to warrant the monthly fee. Doesn't help that my girlfriend has zero interest in the stuff I like to watch and I only watch TV at hers. I always game at mine :)
-- To be completed at some point --

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:58 am

I download stuff that I want to watch frequently. I have subscriptions - Virgin for a base TV package and also have Netflix and Prime, but it gets right on my tits when I come across the hand held out for more cash, Prime being a particularly bad example.

I also despise adverts. Advertising products to me makes me that much less likely to buy them, adverts annoy me that much. That will mean I download shows that I can easily watch via a catch-up service purely so that I can cut out the endless ad-breaks.

On the subject, YouTube is increasingly pissing me off with it's ever more intrusive ads. It doesn't matter how often you show me the same 5 seconds of War Thunder before I can click past the ad, I am not going to be any more fucking interested and feel sure that the model is designed purely to piss me off and 'entice' me towards a paid model. Well fuck you YT, not gonna happen. When an un-skippable ad comes on, I just mute my sound and bring up another page to read while the shit plays in the background.

Meandering rant over... :lol:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:28 am

Snowy wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:58 am
I also despise adverts. Advertising products to me makes me that much less likely to buy them, adverts annoy me that much.
Yep. If an advert is brief, to the point and unobnoxious, I can accept that. If it fails on any of those points then I'm likely to actively avoid whatever is being advertised. I made a point of avoiding the brilliant Good Omens for over six months due to the terrible advert that was being thrust in my face every time I watched something on Prime.

Youtube ads are getting worse. I tried the free month of Youtube Premium over Christmas, and while being ad-free was nice, there is no way I'd pay the laughable Β£13 a month they're asking. It's not like any of its other offerings are worth anything - downloads can be achieved for free, the premium content is sparse and shite and Youtube Music holds zero interest for me. If I was that desperate to get rid of Youtube ads on the ipad or TV apps, I'd look into router-level ad blocking, but for now I'll just put up with them.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:50 am

I only ever access Youtube on PC browser, so my adblocker prevents any adverts from showing.

Sky is the biggest irritant for me - their subscription fees are immense yet they plaster their shows with endless advert breaks on top of that.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:01 pm

I jacked Sky in a year or two back and have had no regrets. Anything they are showing that I want I will just download. Bought a 3 year sub to NordVPN a while back that was about Β£15 a year - had my money's worth.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=