Re: Star Wars The Rise Of Skywalker - the last film in the saga

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:44 am

Finally....it is here. The long awaited video and oh boy does it deliver

Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:25 pm

Just to get this straight... you’re happy to spend 70 minutes watching a video that shits all over something you already apparently hate?

...Why? Disliking a film I can understand, but spending half the length of the film itself watching a group of guys sarcastically ripping it to pieces? I don’t get it.

Did you even watch the film?

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:55 pm

I must admit, I clicked to see what the video was but didn't make it past the first 30 seconds. I don't need to hear a bunch of folks whine about something I am indifferent to.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:45 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:25 pm
...Why? Disliking a film I can understand, but spending half the length of the film itself watching a group of guys sarcastically ripping it to pieces? I don’t get it.
Validation I guess.
I'll wait for the cinema sins video, at least that is tongue in cheek and will just be the entire film unedited ;)
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:42 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:25 pm
Just to get this straight... you’re happy to spend 70 minutes watching a video that shits all over something you already apparently hate?

Did you even watch the film?
not yet and for fun !

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:22 pm

Seen it. Better than Last Jedi, not great overall.

Absolutely nonsensical plotting.
Spoiler
Okay, so Palpatine is alive somehow, I can deal with that. He sends Kylo to murder Rey. Except Kylo fails and Rey finds her way to Palpatine, which was apparently his plan all along because he wants her to murder him so that she can become the next generation of Sith and his spirit can live on through her.

Except she refuses and Kylo (now turned good guy again) turns up to help her fight the Emperor. Which was actually his plan all along. So Palpatine uses some newfound anime power to drain all their life force to regenerate himself to his final form where he miraculously has the ability to lightning bolt a whole rebellion fleet before being killed by Rey in a Voldemort style spell reflection showdown.
Even for Star Wars, that is some next level bullshit excuse for a story.

The rest was enjoyable enough.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:35 am

Mantis wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:22 pm
Seen it. Better than Last Jedi, not great overall.

Absolutely nonsensical plotting.
Spoiler
Okay, so Palpatine is alive somehow, I can deal with that. He sends Kylo to murder Rey. Except Kylo fails and Rey finds her way to Palpatine, which was apparently his plan all along because he wants her to murder him so that she can become the next generation of Sith and his spirit can live on through her.

Except she refuses and Kylo (now turned good guy again) turns up to help her fight the Emperor. Which was actually his plan all along. So Palpatine uses some newfound anime power to drain all their life force to regenerate himself to his final form where he miraculously has the ability to lightning bolt a whole rebellion fleet before being killed by Rey in a Voldemort style spell reflection showdown.
Even for Star Wars, that is some next level bullshit excuse for a story.

The rest was enjoyable enough.
you skipped about ten star destroyer's worth of nonsensical writing before that, but it about sums it up, yes. :lol:
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:08 pm

I gave the rest a free pass because none of it was as bad as the Palpatine plot.

Overall it was enjoyable enough, though the lack of any decent saber duels in the whole new trilogy is pretty disappointing. The only time it looks like something half cool is happening the camera cuts become so erratic and close up it's almost like they asked Michael Bay to direct the fight scenes.

Force Awakens still the best in the new trilogy by a long way. And I'm going to court controversy here and say that the prequel trilogy was better overall than the new one.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:21 pm

Spoiler

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:35 pm

Mantis wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:08 pm
Force Awakens still the best in the new trilogy by a long way. And I'm going to court controversy here and say that the prequel trilogy was better overall than the new one.
Agreed, I'd go release order for best to worst for the new trilogy, but I'm gonna have to disagree on the prequels being better.
That being said, I will have to go back and watch them all in sequence over a few days, just to say I've done it :)
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:56 pm

Force Awakens still the best in the new trilogy by a long way. And I'm going to court controversy here and say that the prequel trilogy was better overall than the new one
Have you watched them recently? The prequels have equally large plot holes but are also poorly acted, at times massively boring and look terrible. At least the acting is decent in the modern trilogy and it looks good even if the story on the whole isn't that much better.

One of my biggest issues with this new film was...
Spoiler
Palpatine has been controlling the New Order from the shadows through Snoke but for some reason gets them to waste time, energy and resources on a Death Star in a planet when he has had a load of Star Destroyers fitted out with planet destroying weaponry sitting around.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:00 pm

Should they put the film's on the shelf for the next 5 or 6 years (or longer) until they have a plan for a story? Maybe stick to TV shows for the future.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:28 am

They could just stop making them because they're shit?

Joking aside - as long as they keep taking huge sums of money, they'll keep making movies in some form or other.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:14 pm

They're going to keep pumping out films, of course they are, but if they intend on doing new trilogies they need to rethink their process. Coming up with a coherent plot that spans the entire trilogy feels like such a no-brainer, but it sure as hell didn't feel like there was one with episodes 7-9.

My guess is we'll get one or two one-off films in the same style as Rogue One and Solo, before they launch into a new saga.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:26 pm

its a good thing it was a trilogy as the rumour has it that the actors have totally burnt out on the franchise and cannot wait to move on....