Star Trek: Picard

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Alan

Re: Star Trek: Picard

Post by Alan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:06 am

I couldn't resist.

Spoiler
Well the last 10mins was the biggest pile of utter pish. It wouldnt have been the best send off for Picard but I would so much rather they left him dead that have that written by a tumshie garbage. It was a genuinely emotional moment, it really got me. Its Picard, hes been a monolith for 30 years but now hes what? A copy of dead man in a stupidly frail android body? It doesnt change the fact that hes dead its just that Raffi and Rios have a Picard real doll to stop them feeling bad. Way to ruin all the emotional heft you built up in the previous scene.

The one thing I can say for it is that it was nice to have a send off for Data that he deserved after how dirty they did his character in Nemesis buuuuuuut when they have Data inside a box all those years why the shit didnt they bother building him a body? I also loved seeing Riker at the helm but not a chance that shit would have happened! :lol:

Also stupidly underused Cube. It served no purpose at all.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:34 am

It felt very much like shoehorning in everything/everyone they could.

Overall I thought the season had it's good and bad bits, but was pretty Meh.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:37 am

I enjoyed it, but it definitely had issues.
Spoiler
I completely agree on the last ten minutes - I don't understand what the point of any of the "Picard is dying" subplot was if they were just going to kill him for five minutes before resurrecting him in an identical but artificial body. And it's not like it was a surprise either; the unused golem was a Chekhov's Gun in the previous episode. I just hope that they don't ignore this pretty significant development for the character. They need to allow Picard to go through some of the same development Data did, and show it from his unique perspective. If they just carry on and do nothing with it, it'll be hugely disappointing and a kick in the teeth to anyone that hates deus ex machinae.

I have mixed feelings about Data existing in a simulation. On the one hand, allowing Picard to say goodbye was quite poignant, but Brent Spiner is just too old now to portray a character that shouldn't age, and de-aging him with anything less than a Disney budget was a constant distraction. Besides, there's a popular fan theory based around a deleted scene from Nemesis that perfectly ended Data's character arc. It's not strictly canon, but it's too good to ignore. The scene has Geordi and Worf going through and packing up Data's belongings after the climactic battle with Shinzon's Scimitar. At one point Geordi picks up Data's emotion chip from the desk and considers it for a second. Data did not have his emotion chip installed when he died. Think back to the final scene where Data saves Picard by transporting him back to the Enterprise. After Picard dematerialises, Data says "Goodbye." Nobody was around to hear it except for Data himself. That was an emotional response. Data had grown to the point that he was capable of expressing feeling without the hardware hack. It added a huge amount of significance to an otherwise pointless death and they sodding cut it from the film.

And what was going on with the relationships aboard La Sirena? It's as if the showrunners forgot which characters they were trying to match up, and right at the end they decide Seven of Nine needed to get in on this? Wha?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:43 pm

Can't really disagree with the critical comments. At least Data good a good ending.

Make it so-so.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri May 15, 2020 4:52 pm

Some trek news to cheer you up. Anson mount as captain pike was imo one of the best things about Discovery season 2.

He gets his own spin off with Ethan Peck back as Spock, called Strange New Worlds. I'm all over that one :D

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri May 15, 2020 5:12 pm

I really think they should have done this in the first place. They tried so hard to shoehorn in references to TOS in Discovery that they should have just started with a show set during Pike's command of the Enterprise. I agree that Mount was the best thing about Discovery's second season, and I'd prefer to see Peck's Spock without all of the Red Angel weirdness (and beard) affecting his character before I really cast judgement (though my initial thoughts are that Quinto did the character better).

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:37 am

Random aside which amused me. I just had a look at Wil Wheaton’s Twitch channel (don’t ask) and there was a lengthy advert for Picard. I’m familiar with targeted advertising, but that seemed particularly brutal given how he was relegated to the after show. :lol:

Can't think of one

Post by Can't think of one » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:49 pm

out of curiosity is anyone else here a big deep space nine fan and was a bit annoyed there wasn't a single reference to that show nor the domininon war?

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:46 am

I read an interview that said that was a deliberate thing, although a quick reference would've been nice.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:19 am

Oh look, Discovery is back. Didn't even realise another one was due.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:50 pm

So Season 2 of Picard is on the way, but not until next year. But John de Lancie is going to be resuming his role as Q, and it *is* going to be dealing with the situation Picard found himself in by the end of the first season. That sounds promising.

https://www.engadget.com/star-trek-pica ... 24720.html

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:50 pm

And the trailer is out, and all of my hopes are dashed.

Christ, we're really only going to be getting that wonderful, positive future that Star Trek used to give us in the animated comedy show, aren't we?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:04 pm

I like that Q has a Riker power beard now.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:53 am

Is Patrick Stewart playing a doddery old man or is he really like that now? I thought that in the first season he'd get re-energised and we'd see the old authoritative Picard but no, we kept the old, infirm bed wetter (guessed that last bit :) )
-- To be completed at some point --

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:58 am

Yeah, aside from the other problems with the first series, I found it a bit off-putting how old he is now.