Star Trek: Picard

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Local

Re: Star Trek: Picard

Post by Raid » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:29 pm

It's been thoroughly enjoyable all the way through. The major disappointment I was guarding myself for never came, and I think it just about makes up for the dismal failure of the first two seasons.
Spoiler
There was an episode in the first season, the one with Troi and Riker, where the characters felt familiar, but that was one episode in 20. Every other occasion prior to season three felt like it was fanfiction written by a ten year old who knew how to swear. I mean the sheer fucking hubris of pretending this was the continuation of TNG.

And then comes season 3, and with the possible exception of Beverly in the first couple of episodes, it was like putting on your favourite slippers. I get the distinct impression that Michael Dorn has been practicing his Worf in the mirror for the last 20 years, because even with the genuinely entertaining changes to his character, he still felt the same. The whole cast just immediately had the same chemistry that they had 30 years ago.

There are some questionable script choices in the first half, and the story feels just a little too much like a greatest hits album (and for some reason the first disc is a bunch of cover songs for another band), but this third season was clearly made with reverence to the source material that has been sorely missing in the preceding two.

And I'm happy to see them setting up a spin-off. I'd guessed it was happening a few weeks back because of how much screen time the Titan's bridge crew were getting. It's a damned shame they killed off Shaw though; despite him coming across as a complete arsehole in the first episode, he really grew on me.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat May 06, 2023 9:28 am

There is a power cell in the holodeck that is so important we would literally rather die than use for anything else. Turn off life support but if you fucking dare touch the fantasy battery I'll put you out an airlock!

Its daft but its no too bad so far ¬_¬
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Can't think of one

Post by Can't think of one » Sat May 06, 2023 9:45 am

WOW :shock:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat May 06, 2023 12:00 pm

Alan wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:28 am
There is a power cell in the holodeck that is so important we would literally rather die than use for anything else. Turn off life support but if you fucking dare touch the fantasy battery I'll put you out an airlock!
In fairness to the Picard writers, it is at least consistent with how holodecks were written on Voyager where they still wanted to do holofantasy episodes despite the ship supposedly being extremely limited on power reserves. For no logical reason, holodecks are powered by generators that are entirely incompatible with everything else on the ship.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat May 06, 2023 6:54 pm

Can't think of one wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:45 am

WOW :shock:
Don't watch Star Trek nor care about it but that was beautiful.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun May 21, 2023 4:01 pm

I have now finished Picard and man there is some garbage writing, some convoluted leaps of logic, massive plot holes, lots of plot armour, Jack was rubbish and I absolutely loved it! It’s the most I’ve enjoyed Trek since Harry Kim got blown out an airlock. My only major gripe was the final 2mins, that was crap.

Not a perfect send off for my beloved crew but a very very very good one. It redeemed all the shite Treks been putting out this past 15-20 years. (still to watch SNW)

Spoiler
Honestly, when the D showed up it was getting me right in the feels. If I was in my period I may have shed a wee tear.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.