General Film News

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: General Film News

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:11 am

Hatredsheart wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:19 am
It sounds like it wasn't his decision. Honestly I thought he was better as Geralt than as Superman, but my problems with the DC films have nothing to do with his performance. An unfortunate couple of months for him!

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:14 am

So apparently he's going to be doing Warhammer 40k stuff now...cool.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:03 pm

Wonder Woman 1984
I love going into a film with rock bottom expectations and finding it a pleasant surprise. This is a very bad film, no doubt, but I still enjoyed it for the most part. The action scenes are entertaining if utterly stupid, with most of them involving Diana swinging around on her lasso with all of the realistic physics of a video game from the era in which the film is set. There's zero explanation as to why Steve is inhabiting the body of someone else, and it has no bearing on the film whatsoever, and then he disappears with so little fanfare that I was genuinely surprised that it was his last scene in the film. I enjoyed Steve's sense of wonder when being introduced to a world 70 years more advanced than when he died, yet he can somehow switch on and fly a jet aircraft with no training whatsoever. The villain's plan goes largely unexplained and never really makes sense, and the entire plot revolves around an artefact so unbelievably powerful that it's absolutely baffling why it's some hidden mystery and not the entire basis of civilisation as a whole.

At 2hrs30 it's undeservedly long, but I think if you can switch off your brain entirely (and maybe have a fair amount of alcohol to hand), it's worth a go.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:25 pm

Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:30 pm

How was it Dave? I'm interested to hear thoughts on it, although maybe stick them in the review thread unlike me posting that WW84 one in the wrong place. ;)

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:17 pm

Ha, I did wonder why that was there, you sausage. :lol: ;)
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:29 pm

Looks a wee bit nasty...

Looks dumb as hell but could be good :lol:

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:44 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64576228

Toy Story was supposed to be a trilogy

:lol:

When in doubt - sequelize
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:23 pm

Toy Story 4 was fine but utterly unnecessary (I can't even remember the plot). There's only so many times the toys can get lost and find their way home. Never seen Frozen so no idea if that story is spent as well.
Disney just squeeze and squeeze until there's nothing left of value and then announcing 7000 job cuts. Cunts.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:32 pm

We mainly keep our sub so the kids can rewatch all those films millions of times like kids are wont to do. I'll occasionally use it for Only Murders or Mandalorian (tried Andor but it didn't really grab me). When the kids have come out of their Disney phase we'll probably drop it.

They have some interesting stuff but there's not enough or enough variation to justify the £7 a month or whatever it is now. TBH we'd probably drop Prime as well if we didn't mainly have it for the expedited delivery.

Is anyone surprised that a hyper-fragmented streaming market has meant every service either losing or not hitting their target number of viewers? Just as with the live-service gaming boom and bust, people simply don't have the money or free time to justify having half-a-dozen telly services on the go. We barely get to watch one hour-long episode of a show per night.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:39 pm

Yep, the appeal of Netflix back in the day was that it had an enormous amount of content on and negated the need to subscribe to different TV packages. Doubly so for US users I imagine who have to pay for all the different networks.

Now the providers keep their content licences to themselves so everything is super hived off and the market is more competitive. Netflix's answer to it seems to be cracking down on password sharing to try and squeeze a bit of extra revenue out of people. I hope it backfires on them spectacularly.

I don't think Netflix or Disney Plus are really worth the money. Netflix only seem to renew rubbish nowadays and all their decent series get cancelled after one season whilst Disney are just running all their franchises into the ground with utterly souless spinoffs.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:49 pm

I'm a ball hair away from cancelling Netflix because I just can't find anything worth watching anymore. There's no incentive to watch a new show as it's likely to be cancelled 3 or 4 episodes in. I currently like Disney Plus because of the Stars content and occasionally dipping into some of the Marvel stuff.

I loved Andor, felt like a mature take on Star Wars. Shame you couldn't get into it Sly.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:00 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:49 pm
I'm a ball hair away from cancelling Netflix because I just can't find anything worth watching anymore. There's no incentive to watch a new show as it's likely to be cancelled 3 or 4 episodes in. I currently like Disney Plus because of the Stars content and occasionally dipping into some of the Marvel stuff.

I loved Andor, felt like a mature take on Star Wars. Shame you couldn't get into it Sly.
Honestly I think it's as much my viewing habits now as the show, we're trying to watch more stuff in the evenings the kids can watch with us, which more or less means we only get a few nights a week we can watch stuff just for us, and the wife won't watch anything Star Wars related so I was basically watching an episode a month :lol:

I do still plan to eventually get through the rest...

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:00 pm

Netflix is now basically worthless for films in my opinion. I dropped the 4k sub down to 1080p a few months back as they didn't have even remotely enough content to justify it, but I had a look back through my watch history and I've maybe watched five or six films on the service in the last six months. Given I watch a new film every weekend, that's abysmal. Almost every film has come from Prime instead, which maintains at least a steady trickle of things I want to see.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:14 pm

The one thing Netflix is good at is the non-English language shows, there's been some great ones in the past while. South Korean and German being the highlights.