Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:25 am

Yeah, I've put Alice in Borderland on my list, so hopefully get around to watching that at some point. There's also a new South Korean one on Netflix whose name escapes me now, that sounds quite good, something to do with people turning into monsters...

What We Do is brilliant, watch the film if you haven't already.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:44 pm

Also, started watching Harmonquest, which is Dan Harmon (Community etc) playing D&D with his mates in front of an audience, and their sessions are part-animated. It's pretty funny, if you can find it anywhere (I'm watching it on a site called WCOforever).

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:16 pm

The Stand ep1
Wow what a mess! They do completely pointless non-linear edits and some of the acting and dialogue is just bad. In particular the guy on the radio sounds like he must be the directors friend or something. It’s not all bad, I liked the subtle Flagg stuff so it could get better but I’m not going to hold my breath.

His Dark Materials
I feel about it the same way I do about the book. It’s fine, it’s not bad it’s not great it’s just fine. It’s well made but there’s just something I can’t put my finger on that it’s missing. Ioreks big fight was a bit of a damp fart too, the movie version was great!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:26 pm

Alice in Borderland
Starts off pretty good, gets better and then around episode 5 started to lose interest if I'm honest. Worth a look though but be prepared for some Japanese whining and pointless exposition, it is based on a Manga after all.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:55 am

elgaucho wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:00 am

Ted Lasso
I think i said it before, but if you haven't already, watch this show. Wholesome awesomeness. 8-)
Agreed. I think I mentioned it before too. My favourite thing for quite a while. Just funny and nice.

Deadbeat
I'm also late to this one, I think it's on 4 seasons now, but I laughed quite a lot through this one. The second season is starting to get a bit more annoying as they've painted the main protagonist as a real idiot rather than just someone who only thinks of himself and gets most phrases wrong.
-- To be completed at some point --

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:59 pm

Sweet Home

I don't really know how to describe this one. It's a show from South Korea, where shortly after a teenager moves into a tenement block the world turns to shit and people start turning into monsters.

I've watched two episodes, and while I like it and will watch more, it's very gory and quite fucked up. I described it to someone else as David Cronenburg does Rec. You can probably add a dash of Metro, Train to Busan and even Tremors for good measure.

Worth a watch. The characters are varied and interesting, the monsters pretty unique and as well as (admittedly slightly dodgy) CGI they mix in some decent practical effects.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:47 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:59 pm
Sweet Home

I don't really know how to describe this one. It's a show from South Korea, where shortly after a teenager moves into a tenement block the world turns to shit and people start turning into monsters.

I've watched two episodes, and while I like it and will watch more, it's very gory and quite fucked up. I described it to someone else as David Cronenburg does Rec. You can probably add a dash of Metro, Train to Busan and even Tremors for good measure.

Worth a watch. The characters are varied and interesting, the monsters pretty unique and as well as (admittedly slightly dodgy) CGI they mix in some decent practical effects.
Yip this is super weird but enjoyed the first episode. The gore is very like early Peter Jackson or Sam Raimi films, ludicrous amounts of blood and jittery movement :lol:

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:59 am

Hmmm well this is something I didn't expect. Having shivered some timbers to get Letterkenny S9, my wife and I sat down and watched a couple of episodes last night that left me a bit cold.

Everything that you want is still there, but they seem to have made all the scenes about 2 minutes too long, so the jokes and the wordplay really outstay their welcome. The second episode was better, but having Coach tell repeated stories about times he fucked Barb was basically the same joke 4 or 5 times, each taking several minutes to tell and ending the same way.

Fingers crossed the rest of the season is better!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:45 pm

That is the one thing that does annoy me about Letterkenny, the puns, wordplay or whatever you call it goes on way too long sometimes. Glad I'm not the only one.

Finished Sweet Home and its great from start to finish. Korean tv shows and films of late have been pretty great.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:32 am

Animalmother wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:45 pm
Finished Sweet Home and its great from start to finish. Korean tv shows and films of late have been pretty great.
Yeah, just watched ep.7 and it's getting better the more I watch, good show.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:13 pm

Dark
I've only just managed to find the time to watch season 2 in this last week.

I still don't really have more than a vague idea of wtf is going on throughout, and who is related to who, and how many time paradoxes i'm keeping track of... :lol:

So yeah, no clue, but I know without a doubt that this show is excellent, and that the performances by the cast are outstanding.

Here's hoping Season 3 actually gives me a cheat chart and an ending that lives up to... well... everything!
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:49 am

The Mandalorian season 1

This went beyond my expectation and restored some of my faith back into the Star Wars cannon. In fact I would happy convince myself this is the natural sequel to The Return of the Jedi and ignore episode 7 - 9.

Some of the scenes are really superb such as the AT-ST and seeing some of the droids from episodes 1- 3 as well as returning creatures from episodes 4 - 6 with the CGI wholly toned down.

And anything with Werner Herzog must be good

9/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:09 pm

Humans
Robots are used to do all the domestic stuff people don't want to anymore and are better at it. They're also all very fit looking which can cause issues :lol: Only watched a few episodes and it seems good so far. Jen from the IT Crowd is in it so keep expecting Moss and Roy to stroll in at any moment :lol: Similarish to I Robot as in some of them have been illegally given emotions and self awareness.
Music is also very inspired by Deus Ex I think.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:47 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:09 pm
Humans
Robots are used to do all the domestic stuff people don't want to anymore and are better at it. They're also all very fit looking which can cause issues :lol: Only watched a few episodes and it seems good so far. Jen from the IT Crowd is in it so keep expecting Moss and Roy to stroll in at any moment :lol: Similarish to I Robot as in some of them have been illegally given emotions and self awareness.
Music is also very inspired by Deus Ex I think.
Watched this when it was first broadcast and loved it. Raised interesting questions as to whether owning a near-human intelligence is dangerously close to slavery, and didn't go into the salacious side of robots as sex partners as much as it could have been tempted to.
I think it was based on a series originally from one of the Scandanavian countries.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:58 pm

History of Swear Words
Nicolas Cage discussing the origin and use of several swear words on Netflix. It's different anyway and Cage is very funny, the man is totally aware of his legend :lol: Kind of got a bit bored midway through the 3rd episode and haven't gone back to it yet but it's pretty short and could be watched in one sitting.

Ehhh, a funny time killer if nothing else