Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Raid » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:38 am

I think I got half-way through the most recent series of Better Call Saul and then stopped to allow them to finish publishing it so I didn't need to wait so long between episodes. It's a tremendous programme.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:44 am

Band of Brothers

Haven't watched this in a very long time. It's nearly 20 years old now but it still holds up really well and I don't think it's ever been bettered. Funny to see Simon Pegg and Micheal Fassbinder as relatively unknown actors in it. Later you see Tom Hardy and James McAvoy in small roles as well.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:15 pm

Band of Brothers was probably the earliest example of what I'd consider to be a modern TV programme, with Hollywood-level production budgets (that I seem to recall was a big deal at the time, but is relatively commonplace now). It's still a fantastic series. I'd love to see it in 4k; from what I remember it was shot on film, and while it would be a very expensive exercise, it's possible they could rescan the original film and create a higher definition version. They'd have to basically redo all of the compositing and visual effects, but as the Star Trek The Next Generation rerelease a few years ago showed, it's certainly possible. Probably not commercially viable, but possible.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:33 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:44 am
Band of Brothers

Haven't watched this in a very long time. It's nearly 20 years old now but it still holds up really well and I don't think it's ever been bettered. Funny to see Simon Pegg and Micheal Fassbinder as relatively unknown actors in it. Later you see Tom Hardy and James McAvoy in small roles as well.
Got this on bluray and haven't rewatched it since I saw it on sd tv. The Pacific is also pretty good, along the same lines as this.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:35 pm

Some of the episodes are very washed out to the point of almost being black and white, it looks a bit odd. I wonder if this was done to cover up some the early cgi effects or maybe it was just for atmosphere as it does brighten up when they return to England. The Pacific was extremely well made and very good but just wasn't as compelling or interesting. I do believe they are or were working on a series based around bomber crews next.

I'd love to see a few episodes of BoB on a cinema screen to get the full effect.

Give it another watch mate, its still excellent.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:13 pm

I think the desaturation was very much a stylistic choice, a lot of media from that time had a similarly dull colour palette for that gritty feel. I'm glad we seem to have moved past that, but honestly it kinda works for something like BoB.

I really should get around to watching The Pacific.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:25 pm

Where The Pacific falls down is when it shows the main characters at home or on leave, it's not interesting. But there is no expense spared on the battle scenes, each episode must have cost what most films did back then. It also didn't hold back on the gore, eye watering in places.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:33 am

Wow, that is so weird. I've just rewatched the whole BoB (and also threw in a quick Saving Private Ryan) with my son. He was blown away. Loved it.
-- To be completed at some point --

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:24 am

Rusty wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:33 am
Wow, that is so weird. I've just rewatched the whole BoB (and also threw in a quick Saving Private Ryan) with my son. He was blown away. Loved it.
Still remember watching SPR in the cinema when it came out, only time I've seen an entire audience silent leaving the showing. Moving stuff.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

eny

Post by eny » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:43 am

We've been watching Lie to Me, with Tim Roth deciphering micro-gestures, which is from 2009, but a very good watch if times are lean on the viewing front. Also we've found Money Heist, which has been entertaining, if a little annoying with the writing in a couple of places.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:48 pm

Lie to me is enjoyable fluff, I'd put it on the level of Bones and things like that. Its not great but if youre not careful you can get stuck in a one more episode loop.

Hanna Season 2
Fuck me this is irritating as hell. Clemency table flipping is just so frustrating in a way thats terrible for the pace of the story. The story is also really dumb and people do the most stupid of things! The first season was really good but yeah this one I'd probably suggest giving it a miss.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:59 am

Hatredsheart wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:24 am
Rusty wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:33 am
Still remember watching SPR in the cinema when it came out, only time I've seen an entire audience silent leaving the showing. Moving stuff.
Schindlers List was the same, everyone trooped out of the cinema completely stunned into silence. The one and only time I watched it, not one to tee up as a repeat viewing.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:14 am

Barash: My name is Barash
Riker: To me you’ll always be Jean-Luc
Barash: FU Riker, my name is Barash!!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:26 pm

Watching Schitts Creek on Netflix. It's not a classic but has some very funny moments.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:43 am

I've been watching a few shows the last few weeks:

Agents of Shield. Last season of this, and I have to say the whole thing has really been a lot of silly fun. I love how wacky the direction of the show went around season 4, with matrix like storylines, time travel,space and more. They just don't really care for usual tv conventions and take the story to ridiculous places, which actually makes it a lot of fun. Recommended.

Condor season 2. Fairly decent spy drama. It doesn't have explosion and ott scenes or anything - largely a grounded show - few cliches here and there, but very watchable.

Dark. Finished season 1. Very well done show, although i still have no idea wtf is going on, mostly. But that's fine, because it leaves me wanting more!
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!