Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother
Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Animalmother » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:58 pm

3 Body Problem
I've seen next to no one talking about this (apart from it's banned in China). Made by the two guys behind Game of Thrones series based on a Chinese sci-fi novel. It's very much in the style of a Netflix series in that it's actually pretty good but will no doubt get cancelled shortly. It's very odd but interesting at the same time, similar in that respect to Dark and 1899. Jumps between time lines with other weird shit going on.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:15 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:58 pm
3 Body Problem
I've seen next to no one talking about this (apart from it's banned in China). Made by the two guys behind Game of Thrones series based on a Chinese sci-fi novel. It's very much in the style of a Netflix series in that it's actually pretty good but will no doubt get cancelled shortly. It's very odd but interesting at the same time, similar in that respect to Dark and 1899. Jumps between time lines with other weird shit going on.
Yeah, just finished it last night, I actually intended to post here about it after finishing the series but just forgot lol.

Really enjoyed it, took me an episode or two before I could figure out what was going on, but after that it's not too complicated, but keeps you guessing about what's going to happen. Looking forward to season 2!

Cue the inevitable Netflix cancellation... -_-

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:30 pm

Episode 5...fucking hell :shock: :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:46 am

Animalmother wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:30 pm
Episode 5...fucking hell :shock: :lol:
Haha, yep! Brutal :lol:

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:00 pm

Space: Above & Beyond
First released in 1995 and made by the creators of the X Files. Set in the 2060's with marine pilots fighting a hostile alien race. Sounds like typical 90's pish but it's actually pretty good and tries to stay grounded. A 90's Battlestar Galactica would be the closest thing but without the budget. Even at the time of release I remember the spaceship effects being just a step above game cutscenes, but it works well enough. Takes a few episodes to find its feet but I'm enjoying the nostalgia of it. As was the style of the time it got cancelled by Fox after 2 seasons.

Found all the episodes on YouTube.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:23 pm

Started re-watching that a while back. I loved it back in the 90s.

The (kinda) twist in the middle was fun.

The fleshed out characters. All very good :)
Last edited by Rusty on Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- To be completed at some point --

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:26 pm

Damn Chigs!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:30 pm

I think some of the episodes were based on events from WW2 and the alien Chigs are almost like Western perception of the Japanese of the era.

What made me laugh are the rogue silicates, basically identical to the ones from Red Dwarf :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:46 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:15 pm
Animalmother wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:58 pm
3 Body Problem
Yeah, just finished it last night, I actually intended to post here about it after finishing the series but just forgot lol.

Really enjoyed it, took me an episode or two before I could figure out what was going on, but after that it's not too complicated, but keeps you guessing about what's going to happen. Looking forward to season 2!

Cue the inevitable Netflix cancellation... -_-
I also enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it blew me away in the same way that the first season of GoT did, but it's some good solid sci-fi.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:35 pm

Haha well that's somewhat different to the potted review a mate of mine sent via WhatsApp:
Snowy's mate wrote:I started watching the latest series by the people who made GoT. It’s called 3 body problem. The first episode was intriguing. The second was confusing. I have just turned off half way through 3rd episode because……. I could make a better TV series with just my dick and a bag of shit. It is quite simply fucking terrible. Avoid at all costs
The mini-review tickled me so thought I would share it :lol:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:28 pm

Snowy wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:35 pm
Haha well that's somewhat different to the potted review a mate of mine sent via WhatsApp:
Snowy's mate wrote:I started watching the latest series by the people who made GoT. It’s called 3 body problem. The first episode was intriguing. The second was confusing. I have just turned off half way through 3rd episode because……. I could make a better TV series with just my dick and a bag of shit. It is quite simply fucking terrible. Avoid at all costs
The mini-review tickled me so thought I would share it :lol:
It is a bit confusing initially, but I think your mate gave up just at the point where it all gets laid out. And honestly episode 5 is some of the best telly I've seen this year...

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:21 pm

Definitely give it a chance but then again if you're not feeling it by episode 3 it's not for you. Episode 5 has the most inventive carnage I've seen in a long time.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:43 pm

I was very skeptical about it given that it is made by the absolute hacks who butchered GoT and demonstrated as it went on that they had no real care for telling a compelling or well thought out story. I know the books are finished so there's less they need to make up themselves with footnotes but I'm not sure I trust them either way with Three Body Problem.

I recently started watching The Expanse instead which has been really excellent so far. Almost half way into season 3 at the moment which is the highest point for the show from what I've gathered with limited reading about it online.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:45 pm

The Expanse is easily one of my all-time favourite sci-fi shows, so well done.

I've also been enjoying Foundation. Both coincidentally starring Jared Harris :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:08 pm

Just watched episode 1 of Fallout.

I... I think they've done it justice. :o