Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Solitaire

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Solitaire » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:22 pm

Raid wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:22 pm
So I finished Arcane. I think this has been my biggest TV surprise of the year, at least partially because I'd had no intention of watching a TV series based on a game I've never played from a genre I don't care for. It's excellent, and not just because it looks phenomenally good (there's not a single part of the aesthetic I didn't love). The story's better than I was expecting, and the ending of this first season doesn't disappoint. My only minor complaints were that a couple of elements felt a bit rushed;
Spoiler
Vi's relationship with Caitlyn comes out of nowhere, and Jayce goes on one clandestine mission and suddenly he's known as the guy with the hammer?
I'm very much looking forward to a second season.
Pulling this out from the nether regions because my daughter and I just watched it. We binged three episodes a day, and we very well might watch it all over again. The art style is utterly fantastic and the animation is the best I've ever seen. The only niggle I have is with the direction they take Powder:
Spoiler
nobody ever gets psychosis done properly, in any movie or tv series, ever. This writing and animation for Powder, when she's "acting crazy," is truly cringe-inducing.
Other than that, and what you've mentioned, Raid, it's top notch stuff.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:08 pm

Rick & Morty season 6
Now up on Netflix. It's not everyone's cup of tea and the fan base have a reputation of being complete cockholes but I do really love it. I'd only watched season 5 once over a year ago so I remembered next to nothing, this was like getting 2 seasons for the price of one! What can I say...it's the usual completely off the wall insanity you come to expect. The episodes weave into ones from past seasons and they've somehow managed to get stranger. This is the last season with Roiland involved and seeing as he voiced both the main characters it's going to be difficult to see how they continue.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:00 pm

On the last bit, I disagree. There’s a voice actor guy who does such a good version that Roiland himself said it was scarily close.

But also, given the nature of the show they could easily have the voice change explained in-universe or just go meta like Iron Man did when Rhodey changed actor and said “I’m here now, deal with it”.

That said, how much of the writing he does might affect things, maybe not.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:12 pm

Drarok wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:00 pm
That said, how much of the writing he does might affect things, maybe not.
It honestly sounds like since the first series he does basically fuck-all else except record his dialogue drunk at home and email it to Harmon.

Not gonna lie, it definitely takes the shine off watching R&M knowing what a shitbag Roiland is. I'll still watch it, mind.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:19 pm

It's definitely enjoy the art not the artist these days.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:22 pm

Meanwhile, S6 of Black Mirror is out now as well :D

Only seen the first episode but thought it was fucking brilliant!

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:49 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:19 pm
It's definitely enjoy the art not the artist these days.
Yeah, but I have no choice but to draw the line at Ian Watkins' of Lostprophets. The songs capture a particular time for me and I'd love to have a good nostalgia listen, but I just can't shake the ICK hearing him sing about love and stuff.

Scum.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:25 pm

Drarok wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:55 am
I've enjoyed Mythic Quest overall, yeah. Agree about Jo, bit of a shit character but bearable.

I really enjoyed the depiction of Poppy getting into the zone, fingers flying, everything's awesome… then someone interrupts. I was like that Leo DiCaprio pointing meme, it's so true.
Jo starts season one as a fairly funny character. There's a bit where she's describing being bullied at school that I thought was hilarious. But yes, she becomes far too much.

Boring one but I'm watching Game of Thrones (years too late). And have loved it, though I'm not up to the final season. Is House of the Dragon any good?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:52 pm

House of the Dragon is surprisingly decent, especially compared to the last season of GoT. Worth a watch, certainly.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:38 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:22 pm
Meanwhile, S6 of Black Mirror is out now as well :D

Only seen the first episode but thought it was fucking brilliant!
I binged the new season over the course of two days. Definitely a different feel to these - some real horror stories happening. Best season yet, imo, though I wish they had more than five episodes.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:04 pm

Just finished watching The Gryphon (Prime).

Really enjoyed that. It's a German adaptation of a book series, that despite having serious overtones of both Stranger Things and Supernatural, actually predates both. And instead of the 80s it harks back to the 90s, so everything a bit grungier (and the soundtrack kicks ass).

I won't spoil the plot, but I'd give it a recommend and a solid 7.5/10. Some of the effects are a bit ropey, but the storyline and the fantasy world created are interesting. Oh, and make sure to watch it in German with subtitles :)

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:04 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:52 pm
House of the Dragon is surprisingly decent, especially compared to the last season of GoT. Worth a watch, certainly.
I really enjoyed it.

Also, not to beat a really old well-beaten drum, but the final season (or final half of the final season in particular) of Game of Thrones. Wow - utterly terrible.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:27 pm

Have either of those ass clowns worked since the end of GoT, I mean the 2 show creators?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:35 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:27 pm
Have either of those ass clowns worked since the end of GoT, I mean the 2 show creators?
Weren't they involved in the most recent Star Wars films?

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:40 pm

The theory went that when they got Star Wars, they wanted to wrap GoT up quicky, doesn't it?

Doesn't really explain why it's wrapped up so poorly though. I don't get how it could drop off such a cliff and anybody could go 'Yep, nailed it'.