Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:21 am

Space Force (Netflix)

6/10

Its OK. It started really well with the first episode being very strong. It got steadily weaker as the series went on as the concept began to run out of steam. To its credit I think it got China pretty spot on.

Some giggles. Not worth revisiting. John Malkovich is the best thing in it.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:35 am

Just seen that Netflix have aborted season 4 of GLOW due to covid and have instead cancelled the show altogether. :( Such a shame as it was one of the few cracking Netlifx Originals in an ocean of shite.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:41 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:35 am
Just seen that Netflix have aborted season 4 of GLOW due to covid and have instead cancelled the show altogether. :( Such a shame as it was one of the few cracking Netlifx Originals in an ocean of shite.
That sucks, really enjoyed GLOW :(

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:42 am

Much as I like Netflix and think they're producing a lot of really good original shows, their habit of cancelling something after 2-3 seasons is really starting to piss me off.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:05 pm

La Revolution

French series on Netflix about what seems to be an outbreak of a zombie plague in the 1780's. Only watched 2 episodes but enjoying it, slow buildup so far. Visually it's gorgeous. Bit like Kingdom, except French...

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:50 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:42 am
Much as I like Netflix and think they're producing a lot of really good original shows, their habit of cancelling something after 2-3 seasons is really starting to piss me off.
It's gotten to the point where I'll refuse to watch a programme until it finishes its run, unless it's blisteringly good or backed by another production company. I'm so glad I never got into any of the MCU TV shows because every one seems to have been killed prematurely.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:01 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:05 pm
La Revolution

French series on Netflix about what seems to be an outbreak of a zombie plague in the 1780's. Only watched 2 episodes but enjoying it, slow buildup so far. Visually it's gorgeous. Bit like Kingdom, except French...
Sounds good, we might give that a go once we've finished with Bly Manor thingummybob.

I've also been working my way through Castlevania on Netflix, onto the third season now. I've never played any of the games and know nothing about the lore, but have been quite enjoying it as it happens.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:33 pm

We're watching Bly Manor at the moment. It isn't quite as good as the first season but the further in we get the more I'm warming to it, though I feel like it has been a little more predictable so far.

Seconded on Netflix cancelling shows too, the Marvel ones kind of make sense with Disney forming their own streaming platform, but I'm still gutted about Dark Crystal.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:44 pm

I assume Netflix is doing what Fox used to do, if the ratings drop they just got rid of the show. It's shit.

Castlevania is good fun, I knew next to nothing of the lore but enjoyed it. Fun to see a guy kick a werewolf in the balls then apologize :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:54 pm

Mantis wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:33 pm
We're watching Bly Manor at the moment. It isn't quite as good as the first season but the further in we get the more I'm warming to it, though I feel like it has been a little more predictable so far.
We're still on the first season, four episodes in I think, enjoying it so far.

I also just finished watching the 2013 C4 series Utopia, which I thought was bloody brilliant - and also oddly relevant to 2020, though being made 7 years ago I guess that is mainly coincidence. Managed to be funny and disturbing in equal measure, while also managing the tricky feat of having quite sympathetic villains (once you discover what they're all about).

I've heard the 2020 US remake is pants, though.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:02 pm

Finished La Revolution, it was ok and not that much like Kingdom really. Worth a gander anyway if just for the visual style, beautiful looking people and absolutely stunning horses. The horses really are cool looking...

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:51 pm

For those who don't know, The West Wing is now available on All 4.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:22 pm

The West Wing is some of the best TV I've ever watched, but it's going to seem even more like complete fantasy given the current people in the White House.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:18 pm

Raid wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:22 pm
The West Wing is some of the best TV I've ever watched, but it's going to seem even more like complete fantasy given the current people in the White House.
I was someone make that exact observation, it makes the show look like a load of bullshit now.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:44 pm

Love Death + Robots (Netflix)

9/10

A very good anthology. Some of them were real hits for me like Sonnie's Edge, Sucker Of Souls, When The Yogurt Took Over, Helping Hand, Fish Night, Lucky 13, Ice Age and Secret War. The rest were good. I think the only 3 I didn't like were Shape Shifters, Zima Blue and Alternate History.

I really hope a second season is made. This is Netflix, so you never know.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4