I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Local

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Raid » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:12 am

Live. Die. Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow - Time loops are a bit of a favourite sci-fi concept of mine ("then put your little hand in mine", three pips on Riker's collar, IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?! and so on), and I think this is probably the best representation of one. It allows more time to see the characters improving, it doesn't go over the same material to the point of tedium, and it has mech suits. Tom Cruise is excellent in this, and it's nice to see him play an abject coward for a change, even if the film ends with him being an unkillable military badass. My only real gripe is that while the mimics are an amazing design that would be genuinely terrifying, their random motion and effects don't lend themselves particularly well to being able to understand what you're actually seeing (although frankly that may have been down to having had most of a bottle of wine by the time I started the film).

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:31 am

Back to the Future trilogy

This has just been released in 4k, so I gave it a binge over the weekend. The 4k transfer is good, especially in the third film as the vibrant outdoor scenes really come through sharp and vivid. It's another example of how 4k can give old films a new lease of life. There is also a tonne of bonus material included, which I've not delved into yet.

As for the films themselves... It strikes me that even taking into account that I grew up with BTTF and have watched them I would guess almost every year of my life, they haven't diminished a bit. Even with the likes of the original Star Wars trilogy and Indiana Jones, I find my attention drifting when I watch them these days due to over-familiarity, but BTTF still keeps me enthralled the entire way. There are so many elements that are perfect - the rousing soundtrack, the astounding performances from the leading cast, the expert pacing, the iconic direction and cinematography, and the mind-boggling attention to the smallest details. God, it was only a few years ago that I noticed the ravine at the very end is renamed to Eastwood Ravine, for good reason.

And for my money, Part 2 is the best. ;) I can't name another film where I spend as much time with a gigantic, involuntary grin on my face.

I award this boxset 10 out of 10 hoverboards.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:48 am

Part 2 was definitely my favourite of the three; it's the one that did the most with the time travel concept.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:52 am

I'd agree with you both, what's odd though is that I've always had the impression favouring the second was a bit of an outlier, most seem to prefer the first or third films.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:00 am

I know some people who claim that the second one is too confusing. I don't see the problem: After returning from 1955, they go to the future to help Marty's kid, but Biff goes back to 1955 to give himself the sports almanac which makes him rich, so when Marty and Doc go back to 1985 it's a dystopian hellhole, meaning they have to go back to 1955 to retrieve the almanac that Old Biff gave Young Biff so that Biff doesn't get rich but still gets biffed by George McFly, meaning the alternate 1985 is restored to the good 1985 where George is successful and Biff is reduced to low-economic servitude, except Doc accidentally gets sent back from 1955 to 1885, so Marty has to go find 1955 Doc as he sends Part 1 Marty back to 1985 so that 1955 Doc can send Part 2 Marty back to 1885 to rescue Doc and bring them both back to 1985. Perfectly simple. Doc even draws a chart!

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:20 am

It's not a bad film by any means, but I do actually still think 2 is the weakest overall - I couldn't shake off the feeling the direction and performances were a bit sloppier all round. The ageing make-up effects didn't work particularly well either. I wouldn't say I thought the plot was confusing - a bit too convoluted perhaps.

I think the first film was driven by the characters and had real heart, while the sequel was driven by plot mechanics. I never really connected with any of them 2nd time round.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:54 am

Maturin wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:20 am
I think the first film was driven by the characters and had real heart, while the sequel was driven by plot mechanics.
I don't know, I'd argue that the second one has just as much heart and strong characterisation. Both Marty and Doc struggle with guilt over the consequences of their actions - Marty due to his greed with the almanac and pride when he faces being seen as a coward, and Doc for building the time machine in the first place. Marty's pain is palpable when he realises he caused the death of his father. Doc's horror when he realises he could inadvertently unmake reality is hilarious. And Biff's pure evil enslavement of Lorraine is powerfully awful to watch.

I will say that if it falters anywhere, it's the third act where they re-tread old territory at the dance, but it's still remarkably clever. And that ending... when Doc vanishes and the car rolls up with the letter, followed by the superb cliffhanger where Marty runs round the corner and scares the shit out of Doc. :lol: That might be my favourite film ending of all time.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:28 pm

I don't think Part 2 is in any way confusing, in fact the explanation Doc gives Marty in his workshop in alternate 1985 illustrates the plot so well that I've used it to explain other films via "Back to the Future" time travel rules.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:12 am

The Matrix Reloaded

As part of my continuing foray into 4k, I've rewatched the Matrix trilogy for the first time in a while. Right off the bat, unlike other films from that era, I can't recommend the upgrade from blu ray to 4k - it's underwhelming, which surprised me.

I don't want to talk about the first and last films, since one is still great and the other is still an abomination. Reloaded is a weird one, though, because I can never tell if I'm enjoying it or not. The fight scenes are wonderfully choreographed and sort of dull. The car chase scene is exhilarating in the same way that an extended stretch and yawn is. The philosophical musings teeter on that brink between thought-provoking and meaningless drivel. I'm not sure whether it's a bad film that occasionally shows moments of brilliance, or a good film that frequently shits the bed. Either way, I always come out the other side feeling like I've got raging heartburn from eating too much of a decent cake.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:25 am

The Gentlemen (Guy Ritchie film on Prime)

Started off hating Hugh Grant's acting but after a while he sold it brilliantly. Story bumps along, it's all a bit silly but fun. Typical Guy Ritchie fare. Would recommend it.
-- To be completed at some point --

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:27 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:12 am
The Matrix Reloaded

As part of my continuing foray into 4k, I've rewatched the Matrix trilogy for the first time in a while. Right off the bat, unlike other films from that era, I can't recommend the upgrade from blu ray to 4k - it's underwhelming, which surprised me.

I don't want to talk about the first and last films, since one is still great and the other is still an abomination. Reloaded is a weird one, though, because I can never tell if I'm enjoying it or not. The fight scenes are wonderfully choreographed and sort of dull. The car chase scene is exhilarating in the same way that an extended stretch and yawn is. The philosophical musings teeter on that brink between thought-provoking and meaningless drivel. I'm not sure whether it's a bad film that occasionally shows moments of brilliance, or a good film that frequently shits the bed. Either way, I always come out the other side feeling like I've got raging heartburn from eating too much of a decent cake.
I actually quite hate both the sequels. If they'd left it at one it would probably be remembered as something genuinely special and influential, but the second and third films taint its legacy to the extent where I think less of the first.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:37 am

You probably won't be too chuffed to hear they're making a fourth film then. :lol:

No idea how that's going to work given how 3 ended.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:34 am

I'm with Sly on this one, the sequels should never have been made and left the first film as a bit of unique cinema history.

Riddick
Got the urge to rewatch this bit of a weird trilogy. It's pretty much the same plot as the first film with a small group trying to escape an impending wave of alien monsters. First off everyone in the film is an unlikeable ballbag, except the cgi dog alien. Riddick goes from a cool anti hero to a real creep around the female character which makes him really off putting for the rest of the film. The plot is pretty thin but I still enjoyed it. Most of the visuals hold up surprising well and the alien creatures look great. The head in the box scene is still hilariously fun and wonderfully gory.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:03 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:37 am
You probably won't be too chuffed to hear they're making a fourth film then. :lol:

No idea how that's going to work given how 3 ended.
Reboot....literally
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:27 pm

All three movies were an elaborate scheme by the machines to make the humans think they'd escaped and won their freedom. Easy enough premise to reboot everything.