Star Trek: Lower Decks

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Local

Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by Raid » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:21 pm

Hmm.

The reaction seems to be decidedly positive, but it didn't grab me at all. The one redeeming feature for me is that the showrunner said they wouldn't do it unless it was considered canon. The showrunner, incidentally, is one of the producers from Rick and Morty, which is high-concept sci-fi comedy done right, so it may well turn out to be decent. I remember my first reaction to The Orville being overwhelmingly negative and that turned out alright.

Can't think of one

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by Can't think of one » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:28 am

Looks shit ¬_¬ and it's cannon :? At least the pishy reboot trilogy isn't cannon...

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:49 am

Hmm, I actually liked that trailer. Might be ok
-- To be completed at some point --

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:55 am

Raid wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:21 pm
The showrunner, incidentally, is one of the producers from Rick and Morty, which is high-concept sci-fi comedy done right, so it may well turn out to be decent.
This is my hope. The trailer has a feel of a less-edgy Rick and Morty, which might not be a terrible thing.

Can't think of one

Post by Can't think of one » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:26 pm

This just came out today on Amazon Prime

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:13 pm

Amazing; thanks for the heads up.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:58 am

Watched the first two episodes. It's... fine? I like the concept and see the potential, but it's a bit too excitable from the start, like it's immediately cranked to 11 when it hasn't earned that yet. The comedy doesn't work as well as it should because it doesn't establish the norms before sending them up. It's a constant stream of "Here's a thing from Star Trek! Let's use it irresponsibly!"

I'll stick with it because it's not a disaster and it could get better, but my early impression is that it's so frantic and garbled and not as funny as it thinks it is that it makes me feel old.

EDIT - I think Rick and Morty is a fair comparison, because although they're different beasts, they are both animated sci-fi comedies. And it also highlights the reason why Rick and Morty works from the get go while Lower Decks struggles: R&M has excellent sci-fi at its core, and the comedy is built around that. Lower Decks (in episodes 1 and 2, at least) has questionable sci-fi, which means the comedy relies on Star Trek references.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:23 am

I tried it, also watching the first couple, just can't get into it. None of the characters are that appealing, the jokes fall flat and my attention was constantly wandering to my phone throughout. It's a swing and a miss, for me.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:04 pm

I've watched 8 of the 10 available, and my thoughts are pretty similar. There aren't many great jokes in it, and the few that have elicited more than a silent titter have been non-sequitors.

But it does at least feel like a Star Trek production, which is more than I can say for Discovery or Picard. Yes, it relies too heavily on referencing, but at least the characters act like they went through the same academy training as the TNG era shows, even if they're much more inept.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:22 pm

Ok, I'd say the final two episodes were worth watching the rest of the series for, and I hope they're getting another.
Spoiler
It's nice to have a reason to dig this beauty out of storage. I've actually spoken to the guy who designed the Titan (I think it was for the cover of one of the novels featuring the ship); he was always pretty giddy to see his creation being admired, and I'm delighted it's finally made a canon appearance.

I mostly want another season for all of the "Captain Riker's sex barge" jokes that will inevitably feature.
Star Trek as a franchise is so ripe for parody, it's nice to see it happening officially and Lower Decks definitely has promise. They could do with upping the quality of the dialogue and not relying so heavily on referencing stuff for the sake of it. I genuinely think it's a better Star Trek show than Discovery.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:46 pm

Season 2 of this has started, we're getting it a day behind the States this time so it's one episode a week rather than the entire season months later.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:31 pm

Wish I'd read this thread before we dove in.

Had no idea the season had only recently started and now our binge has come to a grinding halt. Boo!

Fun show, I like it!
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:27 pm

So that's season 2 over with, and I've really enjoyed it. I think there may have been one duff episode in there, but as a whole it stands up as a pretty good pastiche while still existing alongside the stuff it's referencing. I still think it makes far too many references to previous shows that don't add anything. Tendi mentions Jadzia Dax in the latest episode, only for the character she's speaking to say she doesn't know who that is, and it makes absolutely no contribution to the conversation except for the asinine expectation that the audience will go "oooooohhhhh!".