Crusader Kings 3: on Steam and PC Game Pass

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Snowy
Local

Re: Crusader Kings 3: on Steam and PC Game Pass

Post by Snowy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:59 am

RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:38 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:04 am
Glad you're enjoying it! :)

I've now united the British Isles (and Iceland) under the Empire of Britannia, and I'm turning my eye to France to steal all their croissants.
One interesting discovery was that in the Stewardship perk tree there's one that allows you to get people to pay you for the hooks you hold on them, which has been a great source of income. Even though it caused my king to get stressed because he's Just.
The perk trees weren't in CK2 and I really like them as a new addition, as you can provide some level of direction to your ruler. My last few rulers have either been stewards or intellectuals, which gives some useful advantages, but my first ruler was an out-and-out schemer. You get all sorts of wonderfully horrible options to inflict upon your subjects.
My king is 59 now and won't be around for too much longer I suspect (the previous ones all seemed to die around 65), but his heir has just come of age and I've noted that he is pretty high in the intrigue stat (and is also deceitful and vengeful), so I suspect I'm going to soon get the chance to play around with these systems a bit more :twisted:

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:55 pm

This is one of those games that, considering my game and non-game interests, should definitely be up my street. Learning curve was too severe for me though.

Did everybody else just dive in?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:49 pm

I bounced off CK2 when I first played it because I had no idea what I was doing. I forget what drew me back several months later, but once I accepted that failure was part of the game, I found it much easier to figure out how to do things very gradually. I used a lot of YouTube tutorials to explain stuff. If ever there was a game to demonstrate the old adage that nothing worthwhile is easy, it’s this.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:52 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:49 pm
I bounced off CK2 when I first played it because I had no idea what I was doing. I forget what drew me back several months later, but once I accepted that failure was part of the game, I found it much easier to figure out how to do things very gradually. I used a lot of YouTube tutorials to explain stuff. If ever there was a game to demonstrate the old adage that nothing worthwhile is easy, it’s this.
Okay well they can write this on my headstone, because it frustrated me to the point I probably had a mini stroke.

Not that it'll stop me having another go. If I gave up everytime something gave me a mini...etc.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:18 am

I don't know if this is actually true or just true because I persevered and finally cracked CK2, but CK3 I found nowhere near as intimidating. I remember on my many rebounds from CK2 sitting wondering how when I start the bloody game, suddenly I have some weird De Jure guff to unravel that I don't understand, plus my line of succession is apparently knackered but I don't know why. It was that kind of thing that pushed me away initially, and CK3 doesn't do that to you. Or maybe I am used to CK2 now and so slipped into 3 like a warm bath?

Not to say it doesn't still catch me out. Last night, continuing as the King of Sweden and Norway (and now also Britain despite only owning a bit of it, and Brittany), my succession path was clear. Bjorn my son and heir had been expertly schooled, married to a nicely fertile princess which would secure a useful alliance, I was winning the wars that had popped up and was setting up a very nice kingdom for him to take over.

And then, undoubtedly due to something I did but I don't know what (I think I was just executing Christian prisoners) my heir suddenly changed to my brother-in-law, a shy and generally insipid member of the family that had barely registered on my radar until I realised that once my current king died, this waste of DNA would be mine to command. Fuck. I promptly disinherited the chisel-jawed viking superman Bjorn and fucked him off mightily in doing so, before realising that more drastic action had to be taken and the brother-in-law had to go. No way could I entrust all the hard work in clawing my lands together to this gurning simpleton, it would be like Alexander the Great handing over the reins to Nigel Farage ffs. Thankfully the rest of the world seemed to agree - no sooner had my murder plot been put in place than oodles of my vassals and court members were jumping on the "murder the pecker" bandwagon and I think he was disposed of inside a year.

My new heir, my next youngest son from Bjorn, is a far better fit and unlikely to fall foul of his father's cadre of assassins...

That said, he may not have an easy run of it. I started this game at the earliest point, wanting to get my viking on. That is exactly what has been happening, but last night the legend "Crusader Kings" popped up on my messages, advising that the Pope had had enough of the heathens out in the world and would be corraling those of his feeble faith against us mighty pagans. Suspect my rule is about to get somewhat more tricky!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:13 am

CK3 has the same depth as CK2 but it does a better job of surfacing the information you need in a more player friendly way, it also has a better tutorial. The best way to play is just play the tutorial and go with the flow, not worrying too much about what happens and try and learn the systems.

My journeys in Ireland and Wales continue, I managed to form the Kingdom of Ireland with Munster holding out and the Duke of Northumbria continuing to be a pain in my side as he took two provinces off Lapland. I decided enough was enough and set out to assassinate him, unfortunately the plan didn't go smoothly with him finding out a few months in and multiple people dropping out. Once the opportunity arose to do him in it was at 39% but i thought sod it and it was successful, this left his young daughter in charge.

On the home front I have been running two mistresses with one of them being the Queen of England who has given me two children so far. Things went a bit wrong though as one of my vassals exposed that I was having an affair with his wife and put her in prison, this led to the Queen of England demanding I dump her so that she was my only lover. Shortly after my wife finding out I had been having an affair she caught the plague and although it seemed that she might recover she ultimately succumbed. This left me free and single so I thought I would take a run at the Duchess of Northumbria which would hopefully solve my Northumbria problem for good. She was unwilling to listen at first but after I poured 250 gold into her coffers she accepted, now I just need to get her pregnant and time is of the essence as I am 58.

After I had wrapped up this alliance the King of Scotland decided he wanted the one piece of Scotland not under his control so declared war on me, due to my new Ally I wasn't too concerned and was able to beat him back. However the King of Munster saw this as an opportunity to declare war on me, this was probably because I had unsuccessfully tried to murder him a few years back. This is when a quirk in the game currently screwed me over. We are both allies of Northumbria and suddenly the 3k Northumbria troops I had fighting for me in Scotland switched sides and went down to Ireland to help Munster. This left me in a really sticky situation as I didn't have the numbers to win the war so had to surrender which cost me over 300g. I hope that they patch this alliance issue as someone shouldn't be able to steal your ally away from you in the middle of a war like that. It wont do Munster much good though as it makes me even more determined to take his kingdom.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:24 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:13 am
CK3 has the same depth as CK2 but it does a better job of surfacing the information you need in a more player friendly way, it also has a better tutorial. The best way to play is just play the tutorial and go with the flow, not worrying too much about what happens and try and learn the systems.

My journeys in Ireland and Wales continue, I managed to form the Kingdom of Ireland with Munster holding out and the Duke of Northumbria continuing to be a pain in my side as he took two provinces off Lapland. I decided enough was enough and set out to assassinate him, unfortunately the plan didn't go smoothly with him finding out a few months in and multiple people dropping out. Once the opportunity arose to do him in it was at 39% but i thought sod it and it was successful, this left his young daughter in charge.

On the home front I have been running two mistresses with one of them being the Queen of England who has given me two children so far. Things went a bit wrong though as one of my vassals exposed that I was having an affair with his wife and put her in prison, this led to the Queen of England demanding I dump her so that she was my only lover. Shortly after my wife finding out I had been having an affair she caught the plague and although it seemed that she might recover she ultimately succumbed. This left me free and single so I thought I would take a run at the Duchess of Northumbria which would hopefully solve my Northumbria problem for good. She was unwilling to listen at first but after I poured 250 gold into her coffers she accepted, now I just need to get her pregnant and time is of the essence as I am 58.

After I had wrapped up this alliance the King of Scotland decided he wanted the one piece of Scotland not under his control so declared war on me, due to my new Ally I wasn't too concerned and was able to beat him back. However the King of Munster saw this as an opportunity to declare war on me, this was probably because I had unsuccessfully tried to murder him a few years back. This is when a quirk in the game currently screwed me over. We are both allies of Northumbria and suddenly the 3k Northumbria troops I had fighting for me in Scotland switched sides and went down to Ireland to help Munster. This left me in a really sticky situation as I didn't have the numbers to win the war so had to surrender which cost me over 300g. I hope that they patch this alliance issue as someone shouldn't be able to steal your ally away from you in the middle of a war like that. It wont do Munster much good though as it makes me even more determined to take his kingdom.
That said, while annoying, that kind of backstabbing is at least in keeping with the era.

Bit annoying, when my last king died my heir took over who I'd married to a Scandanavian giantess, partly so he could breed a new line of uber-Welshmen, and partly because I thought it would be funny.

Then, no sooner was he on the throne than, to my dismay, she had an affair with one of my knights and gave birth to a bastard. My king looked the other way, but then a year or so later I hear a rumour she's been sneaking off late at night. I confont her about it and she denies anything untowards, which again I take at face value. Then nine months later she pops out another bastard of the same knight. I've had enough of this, and feeling vengeful I launch a murder plot against my own wife, which is successful, and I marry another Nordic princess, this time with the beautiful trait.

Funny story, it was after the above spousal homicide that I discovered the 'divorce' option... :oops:

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:27 am

It would be OK if they broke the alliance and there was some kind of penalty but they were still allied to me just not helping me anymore.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:11 pm

Can anyone explain to me the benefit of creating a kingdom?

The game keeps urging me to create the Kingdom of Ireland, which yesterday I did. Then my ruler, who was king of Wales and Ireland, died, and his heir didn't inherit Ireland, which instead went to his uncle (the dead king's brother, who held some of the Irish titles). Effectively, that halved my kingdom, and I ended up loading up an earlier save prior to that decision, not least because it also cost me 500g.

Am I missing something?

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:09 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:11 pm

The game keeps urging me to create the Kingdom of Ireland, which yesterday I did. Then my ruler, who was king of Wales and Ireland, died, and his heir didn't inherit Ireland, which instead went to his uncle (the dead king's brother, who held some of the Irish titles). Effectively, that halved my kingdom, and I ended up loading up an earlier save prior to that decision, not least because it also cost me 500g.

Am I missing something?
Creating a Kingdom allows you to pass that on to your heir once you have passed the requisite laws to allow High Crown Authority and changed succession laws. If you click on the green crown on the left it will show you what authority you have and you can click on Succession to see the options. You need to discover certain Innovations which you can find under the Culture menu which is the candle icon in the bottom left. If you are the leader of your culture you can set the Fascination which will boost research for that item.

Creating a Kingdom also gives you De Jure over all counties in that kingdom which allows you to wage war to reclaim anything you have lost or don't already have.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:20 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:09 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:11 pm

Am I missing something?
Creating a Kingdom allows you to pass that on to your heir once you have passed the requisite laws to allow High Crown Authority and changed succession laws. If you click on the green crown on the left it will show you what authority you have and you can click on Succession to see the options. You need to discover certain Innovations which you can find under the Culture menu which is the candle icon in the bottom left. If you are the leader of your culture you can set the Fascination which will boost research for that item.

Creating a Kingdom also gives you De Jure over all counties in that kingdom which allows you to wage war to reclaim anything you have lost or don't already have.
Thanks. It's clear I still have a lot to learn in terms of the mechanics!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:32 pm

Ok, think I've found the relevant things. Looks like it's going to be another 20 years before I can increase to High Crown Authority (1216), which isn't too much of a problem because I can't research primogeniture for a while either.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:21 am

Well, it's taken 200 years, six rulers and a vast amount of scheming, diplomacy and knocking seven bells out of people, but I've finally been crowned Emperor of Britannia.

And goodness, it's been challenging in places. Not least when I changed my succession laws so that the eldest member of the family would inherit all my titles (I'm still researching the innovation that allows you to set a single heir yourself), and half my kingdom rose up against me in protest. I was already at war trying to conquer the last duchy when it happened, and fortunately I'd made some powerful alliances, but even so there were some huge 11k v 11k battles, some of which we lost, some we won by the skin of our teeth. At one point the battle score was sitting at -68% against me (while I was fighting in Kent they assaulted my capital in NW Wales), but eventually we were able to put down the rebels.

When my last king died (during said siege of Kent), and his nephew came to the throne, for some reason I also inherited a swathe of territories in Northern France, not sure how. I went through a phase of arranging matrilineal marriages wherever I could for my daughters and granddaughters, so maybe that was it.

The one fly in the ointment is the single Brittanic territory, roughly around London, held by the Holy Roman Empire, which they took from the Queen of England some decades ago. I can't start a war with them as they're a vast superpower (without allied armies they can field 30k+ troops, compared to my 11k), so I'm not sure what to do about it. I was hoping there might be a way to simply buy it - I've got loads of cash with a 30g per month income - but I can't see anything obvious. I can buy a claim, but again, I can't fight for the title as I'll be crushed.

I should add that the lord of the above territory has no kids to set up betrothals with, and a murder scheme has only a 7% chance of success, so too risky.

Any ideas?

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:17 am

No it isn't possible to buy territory. Your best bet is to have a look at the succession for that area and see if you can do a bit of murdering so that it falls into the hands of someone less powerful. I've sort of reached a similar point in my game where I will have to take on England in order to unify Ireland and Wales and I'm not sure it is possible.