Baldur's Gate 3: developed by Larian Studios

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
arqueturus

Re: Baldur's Gate 3: developed by Larian Studios

Post by arqueturus » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:41 pm

well, that fills me with trepidation :shock:

Problem with dropping to the lowest dificulty level is that you (currently) can't multi-class and I have plans so I need to be able to do that.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:09 pm

If you're going to throw something for a dog to fetch, save beforehand! Don't do what I've just done and accidentally aim at the spot the dog is running to, thereby causing damage and causing the dog and half my own party to turn hostile against me. #-o

This reminds me of an engagement do I went to where I accidentally trod on a dog during someone's speech, because the dog had stealthily laid down right behind where I was standing. I got glowering stares the entire night.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:21 pm

Who's playing with or without Karmic Dice?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:30 pm

Without - I prefer as close to random dice rolls as possible. That said, I have had a few streaks of ones and twos that have resulted in expletives.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:35 pm

Genuinely didn't realise how they worked so left them on. I'm wondering if that's why I'm not suffering much so far.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:05 am

With - again simply because I hadn't realised they were a thing :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:22 am

Absolutely loving the way time works in this game.

Being able to switch on turnbase whilst just wandering around is helpful. I was trying to do some specific timing on super jumping and turning buttons off before a fight and found doing it turn base style helped a lot.

Being sneaky and getting 2 people in a fight but leaving the other 2 members free to walk around and flank before joining the fight. Brilliant.
-- To be completed at some point --

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:03 am

Quick useful tip which I've only just discovered: you can right-click to immediately halt your selected character, which is a life-saver when you detect a trap. There really should be an option to automatically halt on trap detection, but this is a useful alternative.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:30 am

Apparently you can pick up locked chests, teleport them to your camp storage and open them later when you have the skills/tools. That's genius.

Looking forward to playing this again, it's killing me this week reading all the fun people have been having while I'm in a log cabin in Scotland :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:50 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:03 am
Quick useful tip which I've only just discovered: you can right-click to immediately halt your selected character, which is a life-saver when you detect a trap. There really should be an option to automatically halt on trap detection, but this is a useful alternative.
And on the flip side, don't end a character's turn before they've made it to their destination. On a few occasions I've given Astarion a double dash command and hit space immediately because there won't be anything more to do when he gets there, and he just stops in place. It ended up getting him knocked out once because he didn't retreat far enough.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:23 pm

It's a strange game. I don't know if I have somehow gone too far too soon (I don't think that's the case, I have done most of the map now for the opening act) but it does have a habit of throwing enemies a good 2-3 levels up from me, and in numbers. I am certainly not averse to a scrap, but fuck me throw me a bone will ya?
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:31 pm

Snowy wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:23 pm
It's a strange game. I don't know if I have somehow gone too far too soon (I don't think that's the case, I have done most of the map now for the opening act) but it does have a habit of throwing enemies a good 2-3 levels up from me, and in numbers. I am certainly not averse to a scrap, but fuck me throw me a bone will ya?
You could try going turn-based just before they spot you, so you effectively get a full turn to attack them before they can act?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:42 pm

My default tactic when faced with overwhelming odds is to haste Karlach and have everyone else ensure she can keep battering the enemy to smithereens.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:58 pm

I've only just met Karlach. In my first fight with her in my party, she ran out of movement at a critical moment, so I threw a brazier at the enemy. Fun times.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:26 am

My good-natured, rakish bard has taken a nosedive into some dark territory. I've unintentionally and semi-accidentally caused... not genocide, exactly, but certainly mass-murder. I can't go into detail without spoilers, suffice it to say it was a classic D&D "whoops!" moment with catastrophic consequences. :lol:

I did get some sweet loot out of it, at least. The many, many lives it cost were not entirely in vain.