Baldur's Gate 3: developed by Larian Studios

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Baldur's Gate 3: developed by Larian Studios

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:25 am

Asherons wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:11 am
I want to be excited about this game but i am very worried they will turn it into real world politics platform rather then just making a good story and gameplay
Where are you getting that from?

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:39 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:25 am
Asherons wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:11 am
I want to be excited about this game but i am very worried they will turn it into real world politics platform rather then just making a good story and gameplay
Where are you getting that from?
from the video game industry in general.

taking things that have been great and turning it into a political platform rather then just trying to make a good game. its everywhere

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:49 pm

Perhaps I'm not buying enough games, but I haven't seen a lot of politics in them so I'm really not sure what you mean exactly.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:51 pm

Yeah I'm not sure what you mean there, if anything games do a terrible job of dealing with politics like the nonsense that Ubisoft and Activision always come out with about how their games aren't political.

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:55 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:51 pm
Yeah I'm not sure what you mean there, if anything games do a terrible job of dealing with politics like the nonsense that Ubisoft and Activision always come out with about how their games aren't political.
"games do a terrible job of dealing with politics"

Thats what i was saying.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:57 pm

No, you were saying it was bad that games were being political. At least that is what it sounded like.

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:31 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:57 pm
No, you were saying it was bad that games were being political. At least that is what it sounded like.
I do not want politics pushed on me when I am playing games, and yes, when they do the game suffers...

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:12 pm

Can you give a specific example?

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:04 pm

Raid wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:12 pm
Can you give a specific example?
Really not looking to debate but here is a comment made by story writer of the last of us 2

"That's not how we work," he said. "Everything is in service of the story. Getting better diversity gives us better story, gives us fresher perspectives on conflict. And I hope once they play the game, they'll realise it."

He adds: "If you somehow have a problem with that, well, then that sucks, but the story's gonna win for us. It's ironic or maybe sad -- I think the people [who] will benefit the most from this kind of story are the ones that are yelling the loudest right now, but I hope there's enough in the game to draw them in and just normalise stuff that is normal."

so they are using the basis of the game to preach to its players and normalize things that are abnormal. No thanks

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:06 pm

I feel i am just derailing this thread which was not my intention. And also... everything does not need to be "normal" for it to be okay. I dont have a problem with people being themselves

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:17 pm

Ok, much as I think that deserves a response, I agree that this is derailing the thread so I'll refrain.

Is there anything about BG3 that suggests that's the approach they're taking?

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:26 am

Raid wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:17 pm
Ok, much as I think that deserves a response, I agree that this is derailing the thread so I'll refrain.

Nope, just know I am a big fan of the first two and hope that when I play it I can delve into the game without being pulled out of it by people trying to influence my political leanings.

I have played the first two on PC and looking to buy the 1 and 2 combo for the switch before this comes out. I bought the icewindale/planescape for switch instead and while they are fun enough I think I would of preferred to of replayed the 2 baldurs gates.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:26 am

Asherons wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:26 am
Raid wrote:

Nope, just know I am a big fan of the first two and hope that when I play it I can delve into the game without being pulled out of it by people trying to influence my political leanings.
As part of the wider D&D Live events going on this weekend (which opened with the BG3 stream), Wizards of the Coast explained that they’re reconsidering some of the oldest and now most controversial racial stereotypes in D&D. As an example, they’re abandoning the idea that, say, orcs and drow are inherently evil with exceptions, and that their portrayal in WotC products will be more complex and nuanced. That’s not to say that there won’t be evil drow - it’s more that they won’t point to a drow and go “look, he’s evil because he’s a drow”. I imagine the focus will be more on cultural evil instead, which I think is a good and necessary change.

Games do not live in a vacuum and are not exempt from real world politics, even when that world is fantastical. Fantasy is and always has been a reflection of reality. In fact given that D&D is a game where players explore characters (and potentially aspects of themselves) in ways which could be deeply personal to them and to the other players, it’s more important than ever that things like outdated racial tropes are properly addressed.

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:31 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:26 am
Asherons wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:26 am
Raid wrote:

As part of the wider D&D Live events going on this weekend (which opened with the BG3 stream), Wizards of the Coast explained that they’re reconsidering some of the oldest and now most controversial racial stereotypes in D&D. As an example, they’re abandoning the idea that, say, orcs and drow are inherently evil with exceptions, and that their portrayal in WotC products will be more complex and nuanced. That’s not to say that there won’t be evil drow - it’s more that they won’t point to a drow and go “look, he’s evil because he’s a drow”. I imagine the focus will be more on cultural evil instead, which I think is a good and necessary change.

Games do not live in a vacuum and are not exempt from real world politics, even when that world is fantastical. Fantasy is and always has been a reflection of reality. In fact given that D&D is a game where players explore characters (and potentially aspects of themselves) in ways which could be deeply personal to them and to the other players, it’s more important than ever that things like outdated racial tropes are properly addressed.
sounds like my concerns are not baseless then.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:02 pm

I don't understand why it's a concern. If the possibility of meeting a goblin who isn't inherently evil is going to ruin the game for you then I'm perplexed.