Baldur's Gate 3: developed by Larian Studios

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Baldur's Gate 3: developed by Larian Studios

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:58 pm

Finally finished my first playthrough today.

I'm... emotionally exhausted, lol. Incredibly satisfied with the way it played out in the end, but was slightly bittersweet in some respects.

The ending I got:
Spoiler
I decided to make the ultimate sacrifice and go full-Illithid to defeat the Netherbrain, I was doing a 'good' run and the other choices - following Emperor blindly, letting Karlach turn into a mindflayer or letting Gale nuke himself - all didn't feel right for my character. Mechanically, it was mostly fun, although it didn't gel particularly well with my gloom stalker build, with the way the actions/bonus actions were interacting.

Shadowheart was my romance option, which was pretty sweet and felt right for my character. But when Karlach was dying at the end, and Wyll came in and said he'd take her to Avernus where she could survive, there was only one option for me lol. Shadowheart may have been my romance choice, but Karlach was literally the only ever-present in my party after she joined in Act 1, she was like my big sis, and when I was given the chance to join them in the hells, I didn't hesitate.

The following cutscene was amazing. Karlach recovered and confident, lighting cigars for us as we waited for a pack of rampaging demons to reach us. Then with a battlecry we all charge into battle together like it was the end of Butch Cassidy or something. I don't mind telling you a bit of dust got in my eye at that moment :lol:
Amazing game, undoubtedly the best of the year and has to be in the discussion as one of the best ever. I haven't felt so touched by a game since Witcher 3, and it's right up there, for me.

Now for my evil playthrough :twisted:

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:10 pm

I'm 200hrs in, nearly at at the end of Act 3. Don't really want the journey to end. But like you mate, Dark Urge playthrough then!
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:19 pm

Sly Boots wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:58 pm
Amazing game, undoubtedly the best of the year and has to be in the discussion as one of the best ever. I haven't felt so touched by a game since Witcher 3, and it's right up there, for me.
There was one particular moment that hit me like a tonne of bricks:
Spoiler
After killing Gortash, Karlach realises that the bastard who ruined her life is dead and... that's it. There's nothing more for her and she's going to die. I thought the way Samantha Beart delivers Karlach's rage turning into grief and fear is astoundingly powerful. Even in Witcher 3, the only moment that reached that level of emotional impact for me was when Geralt finally finds Ciri, thinking she's dead, and then discovers she isn't.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:31 pm

That W3 bit you mentioned had me weeping lol, but agreed, those late-game Karlach moments are amazing.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:45 pm

I'm about halfway through act 2 on my Dark Urge run and while I was prepared for things to get unhinged, I wasn't quite prepared for the complete derailment it's just led me down. :lol:

Not sure if these are warlock-specific spoilers, but I'm both delighted and horrified at the results.
Spoiler
I entered act 2 having purged the druid grove and loosely sided with the goblins, but I took my first opportunity to betray them for the fun of it and ended up siding with the Harpers at the inn. I even went as far as saving the cleric Isobel for the sake of the light blessing.

I later had a visit from my warlock patron's envoy, who suggested I kill Isobel, and being the deranged Dark Urge that I am I immediately obliged, making sure to close the doors to Isobel's room for privacy and to get it done quickly and quietly.

But then I got a cutscene of Jaheira having discovered Isobel's mangled corpse, to which I feigned shock! Shock, I tell you! It must have been the enemy, I insisted, and she believed me. This resulted in her teaming up with me to slaughter everyone else at the inn, as they had somehow become undead suddenly. Every Flaming Fist member, every Harper, dead. The Inn's protection, gone. Whoops! :lol:

The funniest / worst bit was that in the aftermath I confessed to Jaheira that I murdered Isobel for the lols, and then intimidated her into fleeing. I have no idea how the rest of act 2 is going to play out, but it's already completely different to my first playthrough.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:28 pm

Haha, mine didn't play out quite like that (the character that ran away in yours decided to make an ill-fated last stand against me), but pretty similar.

My Durge Act 3 was a little stripped down, as I was doing it for the channel and had already tried to be as completionist as possible in my first run, but even then there were some great moments. And as for the ending... :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:38 am

Sly Boots wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:28 pm
Haha, mine didn't play out quite like that (the character that ran away in yours decided to make an ill-fated last stand against me), but pretty similar.
I let them go in the hope that they'll come back at some later date for a more climatic stand-off, where perhaps I'll be able to do some more gloating. :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:10 am

:lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:29 pm