Baldur's Gate 3: developed by Larian Studios

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Baldur's Gate 3: developed by Larian Studios

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:32 pm

New major update notes:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/ ... 8170325231

Individually nothing earth-shattering, however taken as a whole it sounds like things are really heading in a nice direction. Very much looking to playing the full release (which sounds like being next year).

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:03 am

New playable class about to land, they've not specified but hinted at it being a magic-user. Sorceror?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:22 am

Either that or Bard, but I think Sorcerer is probably what more people are waiting for.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:21 pm

Another class added, barbarian this time:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/baldurs-gate ... till-2023/

Now raise the level cap, cowards! :x

Also, won't be out this year.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:17 am

Bah, I can't say I wasn't expecting that, but it's a a pain to have to wait so long regardless (considering when it first hit early access, I think they were hoping it'd be done by the middle of 2021).

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:50 pm

Did we have a launch date for this prior to last night's Playstation thing? Well, it's August 31st. And it's coming to Playstation, seemingly with a third-person control option which is a nice idea for a gamepad user, even if it looks vastly better from isometric.

Pretty sure that's JK Simmons voicing a baddie too.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:32 pm

Is the 3rd person PS5 exclusive? I can imagine if it was on PC there would be a 1st person mod in no time.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:05 am

That looks fantastic.

My issue with the Divinity games is how they condense everything into a handful of incredibly dense areas, because you never get a sense of travelling or world scale - something about it always feels distractingly off to me. But having the city of Baldur's Gate being in one vast area is such an obviously perfect fit for that style that I can't believe it never occurred to me until seeing it. I almost wish the whole game was constrained to the city.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:03 pm

It's certainly impressive looking, but I'm not really convinced that having everything on one map is really all that necessary, given what a technical hurdle it must have been. I can't say I've ever been especially bothered by loading screens every now and then in big environments like that, just so long as they don't happen each and every time you enter or leave a building.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:43 am

The PC release date has been moved forward from 31st August to 3rd August, which I'm very happy about because now it doesn't come out the same week as Starfield! :D

Was going to take a couple of weeks off for Starfield, but now I think I might take a week off for that and one for BG3. Despite all my grumblings about Larian's rules implementation, I'm stoked for it to finally release.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:54 am

I'm a little annoyed as I was planning to play it on my channel upon release and I go on holiday to Scotland for a week on the 4th :lol:

I might have to prerecord a few depending on what time it's released on the 3rd...

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:23 am

Take your PC out with you in Scotland, like Moss in the park.

Apparently there will be a level 12 cap, which presumably leaves room for some DLC going up to higher levels.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:25 am

:lol:

Is that level cap a little worrying given this appears to be a 100+ hour game? I hope the levelling isn't too slow...

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:36 am

I think levelling will probably slow the higher it gets, which is in line with XP levelling (as oppposed to milestone levelling, which is whenever the DM feels it's appropriate). But yeah, you could be looking at 8+ hours between levels. For a feature-heavy class like wizard or cleric, that's not so bad because you have lots of spells to experiment with between levels, but for a class like barbarian where some levels all you get is more HP and a proficiency bonus increase, it's going to be a long and barren wait.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:38 am

On the Steam forums some are saying Larian have said that saves from 31st July to 3rd August will carry over to the full game... wonder if that means Early Access owners will get early access (lol) to the final build?