Local

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 [PC, PS4, XBone] - out September 17 2020

Post by Raid » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:23 pm

I see somebody's a fan of Vanquish.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:07 am

Having clocked about 30 hours since Christmas, I can safely say I love this game. It’s also a hot mess in places, which hasn’t seriously spoiled my experience (except for one side mission which I now can’t complete because it’s broken). I remember a while back saying that Breath of the Wild works so well because the core mechanics and experience of exploring the world are fun, and I think that’s true here as well. Just wandering round the city, picking up jobs and sneaking through a building is a fun, rewarding process. I like looking up and marvelling at the vastness of the city above, or scanning random people on the street in a stark invasion of privacy.

The one thing I don’t like and has disappointed me is the cars. Bikes are great for the most part, even if turning with a keyboard at 190 mph is a bum-clenching experience. But the car handling is pure shite. The big advantage with bikes is that you can safely ride them in first person, meaning you don’t have to suffer the complete jank of the third person camera which doesn’t auto-turn with the vehicle for the first few seconds (why?!). Driving a car in first person is near impossible without crashing into everything and everyone. Reversing is a sure way to get an NCPD bounty on your head by mowing down multiple pedestrians. Considering how much the game pushes car sales at you, they really need to fix and improve them early in their post-release development plan.

Complaints aside, I really am having a blast with it. I’m already considering my next run through and I feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:46 am

Agreed (and on the bikes v cars point as well)... 55 hours in and still loving it. I've found I'm enjoying it most when I sprinkle a few scripted main/side missions in with the side gigs, which, while quite fun, become a bit samey if you only focus on them for long spells.

The scripted missions have been almost entirely great, in fact if anyone hasn't already done so I'd urge them to pursue the side mission whose name I've forgotten, but in the description says something about a femme fatale. As well as being a good mission in itself, it introduces you to one of the more interesting characters who you then go on missions with, one of which was one of my favourites in the game so far.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:05 pm

I honestly have no idea how people are getting this crazy bugs in-game.

I put in 64 hours into the game to completion with no crazy shit like that happening. I kinda feel left out now.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:36 pm

I’ve had a couple of howlers. One time I was going full speed on a bike and hit a wall, and somehow I was sent about 500ft into the air propelled across the entire city. Great views; sudden death on impact.

The other time, I was in a car with an NPC who was driving and a pedestrian crossed in front of us. The NPC wordlessly plowed into him, causing him to get impaled on the antenna on the bonnet. We went a good minute or two with the poor pedestrian flopping about like a skewered fish, until eventually he was flung loose and fell under the wheels.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:47 am

I've had stuff happen similar to that video, mostly the air walking.

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:09 pm

I completed it last night. Turns out I got what is widely regarded as the absolute worst ending :lol:

Seriously, though. Never before has a game left me feeling so depressed. It hurt my soul.

[EDIT] No bugs for me, though. Just some vehicle-summoning hilarity - a couple of times I'd call my bike and it'd zoom up to me, honk furiously and ramp right over me :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:53 pm

:lol: yeah, that happened to me once as well.

One time I was riding along a road in the Badlands, when suddenly my bike started dipping below the surface of the tarmac. When it was up to the handlebars I dismounted, somewhat alarmed, only to appear back on the surface. My bike was not so fortunate and remained lodged beneath the earth. I had little choice but to shrug and summon another ride.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:10 am

I totalled my car by taking a wrong turn at ~ 140mph / 5 fps. I hurtled down a small set of stairs into a market, took out about 6 civilians and ended up on my roof. Got out, car exploded... absolute bedlam :lol:

Moments later (having ran past said totalled car back to the main road), I summoned that very same car again... and there it was, showroom condition!

Anyway, I upgraded today. I've gone from an i5 4690k / 16GB DDR3 to an i7 10700k / 32GB DDR4. The performance difference is (well, obviously I guess) staggering. Very pleased.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:57 pm

Jesus, I started reading that first sentence and paniced thinking this was real life! The read the 5fps bit and then glanced at the title again.... phew, only Cyberpunk...
-- To be completed at some point --

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:30 pm

... and finished.

Took me just shy of a month, playtime of 112.5 hours to complete... that's doing every gig, side and story mission that I came across, and a good portion of the street crimes (I didn't seek these out, but if I did go past one I tended to stop and deal with it).

Have to say, I completely loved my time in Night City, some great moments and missions, but ultimately it's a lot of the characters that stick with me. Most were very well-written and many had some very touching moments in their storylines and in particular I'm going to miss hanging with Panam, Judy, Jackie... heck, even Johnny, who I'd started to become good buddies with.

Bug-wise, the two that caused me most annoyance throughout were the texture pop-in for people and vehicles, and the one where lip-sync stopped working when riding in vehicles, resulting in many conversations that looked as though I was telepathic. All in all, though, the bugs didn't detract from my enjoyment of what is an excellent game.

I'm also chuffed with the ending I got, which, looking around, seems to be the best one available. There was a fantastic setpiece finale with my BFFs, a satisfying payoff and very touching final moments.

From Paul's description above, I'm guessing he
Spoiler
went with Arasaka's plan? I was going to go that route in a second playthrough, but having read how it plays out I don't think I want that to happen to me!
I'll definitely play it again in the future, but I'm probably going to wait until a good number of the free DLCs CDPR is working on have been released.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:12 pm

I finished the other day and also got the ‘good’ ending, I’m led to believe:
Spoiler
I left NC for good with Panam to start a new life and find a cure for myself, while Johnny chose to pass beyond the wall with Alt.
I decided about 50 hours in with tonnes of side quests open that I wanted to see the end and then restart as a new, different character. I’m now about 20 hours into the second run and I’m very satisfied with that choice, as I’m not concerned about whether certain missions will time out, or whether doing things in a particular order will impact the ending. I’m now cruising around doing jobs as and when I want to, and I’m taking a different approach to the first run where I was very stealthy/hacky. This time I’m focusing on body and reflexes and going mostly combat-based with a bit of stealth. Both approaches are equally fun, which surprised me. It’s also great to have an RPG where every stat frequently opens up new dialogue options, rather than just the cerebral and personality stats. I don’t feel like I’ve compromised my role-playing opportunities by creating a bruiser instead of a smooth operator.

Bug-wise, the biggest nuisance is when subtitles freeze on screen if the game loads as someone is speaking, which is doubly annoying as I don’t even have subtitles turned on. That in itself led to another problem which I’d kind of clocked but ignored on my first run: foreign languages are translated to English if you have subtitles on, but if they’re turned off then you don’t get any sort of translation. There are some crucial cutscenes with extended Japanese dialogue, and it’s only on my second run that I’ve actually seen what was said (I remembered to turn subtitles on briefly). A few things make more sense now! :lol:

Honestly, though, it’s one of the best RPGs I’ve played in ages, despite the jank.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:26 pm

Yeah, same ending as me WB.

If you're going for a combat run, I heavily recommend going with mantis blades, was a lot of fun just wading into crowds of enemies and going ham on them.

Started down a stealthy hacky route also, and for the most part kept that up, but towards the end in particular to mix things up my go-to weapon became my legendary Carnage shotgun, which just turned everything into paste. It even made short work of a certain boss fight right near the end.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:28 am

I had to cheese that boss fight. :oops:
Spoiler
I’d invested literally nothing in weapon skills, and despite having some great weapons they weren’t doing anywhere near enough damage. Quickhacks couldn’t be deployed frequently enough either to rely solely on them. Using regular tactics, I was being annihilated by the time I’d got him down to about 90%.

By chance I found myself on the far balcony opposite the entrance, where Adam was apparently stuck in midair, and if I fired on him from there then he wouldn’t fire back. So I spent about 5-10 minutes slowly grinding his health down from that position using a light machine gun, eventually finishing him off with a synapse burnout.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:32 am

Ha, yeah, I hadn't put much investment into combat skills (largely as the perks all sounded so underwhelming), however I did make sure to keep my main three weapons as powerful as possible, and by the end of the game was able to craft legendary versions.

I was probably also helped by having 2.4k armour... as with the weapons, I kept them at a high level and was equipped with either all orange or purple level clothing, plus high-level armadillo mods in all the slots. I was basically a walking tank by the end, belying my sneak approach throughout much of the rest of the game :lol:
Spoiler
I was also dressed in all of Johnny's clothes, which was quite cool, and it felt fitting to finally finish Smasher off with Johnny's gun.
One useful thing for anyone who wasn't aware - because the game neglects to tell you this - but if you have iconic weapons or armour, then regardless of what 'colour' is it when you pick it up, you are automatically able to craft the next level up, and so on until you have legendary versions (of course, you have to have levelled your crafting ability enough to be able to do so, think it's lvl18 to be able to pick up the legendary crafting perk.)