No Man's Sky: The Abyss [PC, PS4, XBone]

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

No Man's Sky: The Abyss [PC, PS4, XBone]

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:43 am

I think a lot of you have this, so what do you make of the last update?

I didn't play it on release so this is my first experience of it and... it's strange. Minute to minute I don't find it that compelling, but then I look up at the clock and realise a couple of hours have flashed past.

I'm at the point where I've just become able to travel between systems, but having done that and landed on a few more planets I started to get a bit tired of the gameplay loop of constantly hunting for materials to power up your tools so you can harvest more materials to build the thing you need to take you to the next planet, where you must harvest materials to power up your tools...

It probably doesn't help that none of the planets I've found yet have been much more interesting than a palette swap of essentially the same thing, with flora and creatures that again appear to be very subtle reskins of what I've found on all the other planets. I'm sure there must be variety out there to be found, but as yet I've not found it.

I'll keep playing... for now. But on the basis of what I've seen so far I'd say MM is better off holding on for that magic £10 price point.

Pew-Pew

Re: No Man's Sky: Next

Post by Pew-Pew » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:45 am

The gameplay loop you describe doesn't sound that different to how it was on release (not that I ever played it...). Are you actually enjoying yourself when you're playing it? If not, maybe cut your losses m8 :P

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:50 am

Yeah, I dunno. I feel like it's still at the point (based on what I've been reading) of grinding through what is essentially an extended tutorial, to get to the good stuff of crafting big bases, capital ships and the like. My dad has also had the game in his library sitting unplayed for ages, so I've been on at him to try multiplayer and see if we can get a joint project going of some kind.

It feels like short bursts is probably the way to go, can't see myself getting sucked in for hours at a time like I sometimes do.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 pm

I knew you should've held off.

Still, it's a hard job to try and cage a born gaming canary. :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:12 pm

What can I say, the world needs people like us to take the bullets for others :lol:

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:16 pm

You're the hero we all deserve.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17 pm

Hey, now steady on! :o

:lol:

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Or is it need? I'm rubbish with Batman stuff. Sorry if my muddled attempt at a profound quote has caused any offence. It was meant to be complimentary. I think... :?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:36 pm
Or is it need? I'm rubbish with Batman stuff. Sorry if my muddled attempt at a profound quote has caused any offence. It was meant to be complimentary. I think... :?
I know, but I flipped it round to subtly insult everybody :D

In any case, my message is clear: stand fast, MM. Stand fast. £10 will happen.

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:56 pm

I've been playing it (got a shiny new PC!). My first experience of it was also the "Next" update. On the whole I've had fun with it for 15 hours (so far), but am noticing the same things Sly Boots mentions.

The same-but-remixed assets situation becomes fairly blatant very quickly, and the various fauna don't really do much other than wander about and make noises... Even the carnivores don't seem to offer any threat to the player. Only the annoying resource gathering police create any planetary conflict. Oddly enough, I think the infinite universe aspect drags it down a bit. Two-three galaxies with varied, well designed/crafted planets would've been better. Maybe a war between the rival factions, a bit of story for those interested. That would've led to greater immersion than "infinite planets of the same stuff".

Still, in five more hours I'd have had 1 hour of entertainment for every £1 spent, which is my benchmark for whether a game was worth it or not. I am still having fun with it and am just at a bit where I can set up my own proper base and fill it with quirky alien staff members. The Sci fi fan in me gets a kick out of just blasting around between places, seeing big fleets beam in, landing on freighters and stations (even if the interiors are all identical). Will see what they add in future updates!

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:09 pm

It doesn't take long to get to a point where the more mundane things become easy to do so they are no longer an issue, like getting fuel and sodium for your bio-suit.

I had a fair amount of fun with it. The building seems pretty extensive and easy to carry out, getting a capital ship is really cool and opens up a load more things to do. I would say progress the story along and you will hit points at which the game opens up and you have a lot more fun things to do.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Gibby wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:56 pm
Still, in five more hours I'd have had 1 hour of entertainment for every £1 spent, which is my benchmark for whether a game was worth it or not.
I reckon my 'cost per hour' for the Baldurs Gate games must be something like 1 or 2 pence.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:14 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:09 pm
It doesn't take long to get to a point where the more mundane things become easy to do so they are no longer an issue, like getting fuel and sodium for your bio-suit.

I had a fair amount of fun with it. The building seems pretty extensive and easy to carry out, getting a capital ship is really cool and opens up a load more things to do. I would say progress the story along and you will hit points at which the game opens up and you have a lot more fun things to do.
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Hopefully will open up some more inventory slots at some point (I'm guessing when I can afford a bigger ship), as that's a bit restricting early on as well.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:15 pm

Apparently there is a vendor on each space station that sells an extra inventory slot, no idea where though. Once you get a capital ship you can send stuff straight up there, you can't get it back the same way though unfortunately.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:16 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:15 pm
Apparently there is a vendor on each space station that sells an extra inventory slot, no idea where though. Once you get a capital ship you can send stuff straight up there, you can't get it back the same way though unfortunately.
Oh, ok, I might check that out next time I'm on a station in that case.