Red Dead Redemption 2 [PS4, XBone] - PC in November

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Snowy
Local

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [PS4, XBone] - PC in November

Post by Snowy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 am

Oh nice - have drifted off onto other stuff but will pop back online for some posse action.

Around this evening?
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:12 am

Should be!

Trying to save up enough gold to get started on one of the professions.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:01 pm

Best route for getting yourself gold is running the dailies (at least one per day), soon you are up to half a bar for each.

I have all of them, so you are welcome to try them out :)

Will be online from about 18:00-ish
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:40 pm

Cheers for that, Ian. Nice to get a little taste for the other bits of content that I haven't worked my way up to yet.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:10 am

No worries Dave, RDO is such an enjoyable co-op experience was an absolute pleasure. Given the current house-arrest state of the world I will be about today too, just let me know if you and Piers are planning to put another session in.

I was thinking while I had my dinner last night, I gave you duff advice. To become a collector you need to seek out Madame Lazar whose location changes daily. The day's location can be found by filtering for her on here.

I told you that you needed the shovel - that is true but you also really need the metal detector or you cannot find the majority of buried items to unearth with the shovel. It is the metal detector that is expensive, the shovel is...less expensive but still a fair bit. I think you need probably going on $1000 to kit yourself up but they often discount the role items. Once you have the metal detector and shovel you are in business and the collector is one of the fastest ways to grind money (it isn't much of a grind really, you are just riding about collecting things and I still find just mooching around in RDO quite therapeutic).

Also well worth you both picking up is the Wheeler and Rawson Outlaw Pass. These are timed and the second pass has just expired earlier this month. I am sure that the Outlaw Pass 3 will be along soon. You have to stump up a load of gold bars for it, 40 I believe the second one cost. However once you have it, you go through 100 outlaw pass levels and these pass really quickly, and you get your gold bars drip-fed back to you as you level it up as well as loads of other goodies - outfits, discount vouchers, horses, cosmetic stuff, guns, ammo, all sorts.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

eny

Post by eny » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:31 am

Still haven't really touched online with this after my 'spawn killed by wolf' incident....but am thoroughly absorbed in the SP....my god what a game this is. I've been raped, had a vampire incident, been robbed a couple of times, seen a ghost....I think....and so many other great moments. Brilliant game.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:51 pm

eny wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:31 am
Still haven't really touched online with this after my 'spawn killed by wolf' incident....but am thoroughly absorbed in the SP....my god what a game this is. I've been raped, had a vampire incident, been robbed a couple of times, seen a ghost....I think....and so many other great moments. Brilliant game.
I think I may have had a similar incident yesterday Eny. I was checking the status of everything before picking up with Mantis (hadn't been on in a while) and did a mission to get some materials for Cripps to make goods. I was sent to 'liberate' a broken down trailer of gear, headed to the location and gunned down the NPCs guarding it. I had just cleared it and was about to head in and grab my ill-gotten gains when out of nowhere a grizzly leapt on my back and mauled me to death - I nearly shat my pants with the shock of it. Just to add some salt to the wounds, I was about to have a few virtual ales with some mates over Zoom and was sharing my screen so the one mate who like me was early had something to watch while we waited. He absolutely killed himself laughing, said my face was a picture :D
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:57 pm

I haven't seen the "battle pass" style things available anywhere at all on the menus yet. Though I'm significantly a ways off having the money to invest in it yet anyway.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:03 am

The first one I missed, but picked up the second when I started the online game. It closed on 10th March so I would expect to see a third one drop soon.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Turns out that linking my Twitch Prime to my Rockstar account has unlocked the collector role for free! Got my first couple of maps and sold a few bits I've already found but don't have enough for the shovel yet so am going to hold off from using the maps until then just in case I waste them.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri May 08, 2020 11:36 am

Putting some time into this now and really enjoying it. Still struggling with the controls though, a bit messy on the controller but getting there. Managed to hunt and kill a legendary bear yesterday, on way back to camp with the hide I was ambushed by 3 random npc's and killed. Lost the hide and nearly rage quit at that point, all that effort :cry: Also got shit faced drunk in the saloon and lost my hat.

Gave online a quick blast. Assumed it would just drop you in a town and off you go fumble about, good luck dipshit. Instead there's a detailed intro and story background for your character before you venture off. Spent a ridiculous amount of time coming up with a character name that wasn't flagged as inappropriate. Finally settled on Trixie Goodgobble because I'm a child... :|

Can't think of one

Post by Can't think of one » Fri May 08, 2020 11:39 am

Animalmother wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:36 am
Putting some time into this now and really enjoying it. Still struggling with the controls though, a bit messy on the controller but getting there. Managed to hunt and kill a legendary bear yesterday, on way back to camp with the hide I was ambushed by 3 random npc's and killed. Lost the hide and nearly rage quit at that point, all that effort :cry: Also got shit faced drunk in the saloon and lost my hat.

Gave online a quick blast. Assumed it would just drop you in a town and off you go fumble about, good luck dipshit. Instead there's a detailed intro and story background for your character before you venture off. Spent a ridiculous amount of time coming up with a character name that wasn't flagged as inappropriate. Finally settled on Trixie Goodgobble because I'm a child... :|
:lol: :lol: :lol:

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat May 09, 2020 10:30 am

Started playing this on Xbox the last few days, really impressed with the visuals, can see where all the blood sweat and tears went, would have been nice if they had spent a bit more time on character faces as apart from the main men everyone looks like they have had their souls drained away.

Other than the visuals though everything else is very Rockstar and by that I mean the game is full of archaic mechanics and dumb design decisions. Whoever designed the inventory wheel and thought pressing and holding multiple buttons to select something was a good idea must be some kind of masochist. Having the same button do different things depending on the context isn't great, shooting being the same button as talking to someone ](*,) The combat is at best fine, everything is so muted that I can't really pick people out in a fight and the cover system is awkward. I mainly just rely on the generous auto aim as I sweep the reticule in the vague direction that I think an enemy might be hiding. I don't mind the slow pace of the game as much as I thought I would, so far it hasn't been as bad as I expected, there are times when Morgan takes just that bit too long to do something that I think the button press hasn't been registered but it has yet to get annoying, it might do if I end up playing the game for 30+ hours.

It's clear that the people in charge of development watched a lot of Western films and basically wanted to recreate that on screen and they have certainly nailed the atmosphere and mise en scene but as with all Rockstar games nowadays I find the gameplay really lacking and with every new game they put out they somehow seem to fall further and further behind the rest of the industry. Whether this is a deliberate ploy or just boneheadedness I don't know but it makes it difficult for me to enjoy their games.

I'm unsure how much more I will play of the game, I'm also playing through the Yakuza 3 remaster and it is interesting contrasting the two, both have outdated/misguided mechanics but one was made in 2009. I also find myself more willing to forgive Yakuza 3, partly because it is an old game.

It's a shame because I love the Western genre, I just wish the game was a bit more fun to play.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat May 09, 2020 11:14 am

The weapon/item wheel thing is a pain in the nuts alright. Hold LB to open wheel, use RS to select item, release LB to use that item...sounds simple until you actually have to do it during a gunfight and you accidentally select the wrong gun and it gets you killed. I'm also still not sure how to reload, I seem to do it by chance :?

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun May 10, 2020 9:12 am

I won't pretend I haven't accidentally shot people in the face when I meant to talk to them, but in general while it takes a little learning I haven't struggled much with the controls.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018