Outcast - A new beginning

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Rusty

Outcast - A new beginning

Post by Rusty » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:33 am

I'm torn on this one. The original voxel based game was weird and fun (once you worked out what you had to do).

This new version is pretty generic but yet beautiful in places. It's easy to control then it suddenly isn't (when trying to do a 'platform' puzzle)

The gunplay is fun, the jetpack is fun.

There are too many cutscenes. The start of the game I probably controlled my character for 3 minutes and had to watch loads of cutscenes for an hour (exaggeration).

The UI is horrible - probably a console thing.

I'm still playing it loads though, go figure
-- To be completed at some point --

Raid
Local

Re: Outcast - A new beginning

Post by Raid » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:39 pm

As a fan of the original, I was interested in this until I saw it in action. It just looks cheap to me; the animation has no fluidity to it, and I hate that they've swapped the primitive-looking civilisation of Adelpha for a generic-looking James Cameron's Avatar high-tech-meets-lush-wilderness aesthetic.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:45 pm

I played the demo during Next Fest, it was... fine? It felt ok pottering about, doing a couple of tasks and assaulting a base, but from what I've read it's incredibly repetitive and while those were ok first time around not sure how keen I'd be to keep doing the same things over and over. Also, maybe because I was using M&K, but I had real trouble controlling the main character during flight, which meant struggling to do all the side activities based around that mechanic.

I feel like they're taking the piss a bit with the £50 launch price tbh.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

Agreed. I think contrler is thegi to device but I literally can't do anything with controllers so also played M&K.

I got it quite cheap from a cd reseller so saved 20 quid that way.
-- To be completed at some point --