Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - epic RPG out now

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Raid
Local

Re: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - epic RPG out now

Post by Raid » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:21 am

So I've been tempted to pick this up since this thread started, and I think I'm about ready to dive in. I do have a question though; I believe you can set the crusade leading stuff to be done by the computer. I'm really not interested in that side of the game, so would avoiding it lessen the experience do you think? Can you toggle that option if you decide to try it at the start but later decide it's not for you?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:58 am

Raid wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:21 am
So I've been tempted to pick this up since this thread started, and I think I'm about ready to dive in. I do have a question though; I believe you can set the crusade leading stuff to be done by the computer. I'm really not interested in that side of the game, so would avoiding it lessen the experience do you think? Can you toggle that option if you decide to try it at the start but later decide it's not for you?
From reading around it seems like you can miss out on some critical stuff if you set the crusade mode to auto, and I don't believe you can change it mid campaign.

It's... fine, honestly. It's not my favourite part of the game, but it's not horrible.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:53 am

There's a mod which lets you auto-win crusade battles:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderwra ... us/mods/40

I'd try it vanilla first, though - I enjoyed them and they add to the flavour of the campaign.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:08 pm

Ok, I'll give it a go. I suspect you probably start doing this stuff hours into the game, and I'm not going to want to restart if that's the case should I realise I've made the wrong choice.

Anything else you'd recommend changing from the defaults, particularly in terms of difficulty settings? There's a colossal number of options here.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:18 pm

It sounds like they've patched in a crusade battle difficulty setting - they were generally quite easy anyway until the later game, so dialling down the difficulty should make most battles a breeze. I'm assuming the crusade difficulty can be changed at any time like the existing difficulty slider (which I used frequently in the late game - I have no shame :lol: ).

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:13 pm

Raid wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:08 pm
Ok, I'll give it a go. I suspect you probably start doing this stuff hours into the game, and I'm not going to want to restart if that's the case should I realise I've made the wrong choice.

Anything else you'd recommend changing from the defaults, particularly in terms of difficulty settings? There's a colossal number of options here.
Fortunately, the game difficulty settings, as well as being very granular, can be changed at any time. I ended playing most of the game at 0.7 enemy strength or something like that (being more interested in advancing the story than banging my head against every encounter), and then dropping it down again if I came across a big difficulty spike (probably 2-3 of those across the entire game).

Class-wise, it's incredibly daunting initially as there's so much damn choice, so I would recommend either reading an online guide or rank-list to try and judge what you'll gel with, and/or making use of the free ingame respec, which I did. It's a huge game, and as I said in my GOTY thread post, I love being able to try out a class and then a while later swapping over to something completely different to see how it feels.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:55 pm

They give each class a difficulty rating, so I basically picked something from 1-3/5 that I fancied and see how I got on. I went with a Ranger/Freebooter to start. But you're right; for someone who didn't play the previous game and is a new entrant to this system, the amount of options you're presented with is a little overwhelming. I perhaps ought to have started with one of the pre-mades, but it's an RPG and surely half the experience is making both good and bad choices. :P

It certainly starts dramatically. :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:59 pm

I’d just pick whatever options sound fun or interesting - you could drive yourself mad trying to figure out what an optimal class build is, and unless you’re planning on sticking to the core difficulty no matter what then it really won’t matter much.
Raid wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:55 pm
It certainly starts dramatically. :lol:
Yeah, the campaign tone is not about the gradual rise of a band of merry adventurers. :lol: Kingmaker starts off that way, though.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:13 pm

The way I saw it I'd be able to pick and choose the abilities I wanted my party to have by, well, choosing the party. I picked a fun sounding fiction for my character and went from there.

I think the first thing that struck me was how good the soundtrack is. The track that plays when you're reading through the vision was particularly epic, which definitely fit the tone of the text. The voice acting's decent too, although I always find American accents in fantasy settings just slightly off-putting, although it's better than the completely overdone British regional accents that entirely put me off the first Divinity: Original Sin.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:17 pm

Definitely, first class soundtracks in both games.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:33 pm

Definitely try out other classes (although obviously you'll need a decent few levels to really get a sense for the class mechanics), kineticist feels very unique, while being an alchemist and chucking bombs at people can be quite fun.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:38 pm

Could anyone explain what the penalty for wearing heavier armour is? The game explains that there is one and it's something to do with the dex stat,
but the game doesn't seem to explain it well, and I can't see anything changing on the character sheet.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:04 pm

Raid wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:38 pm
Could anyone explain what the penalty for wearing heavier armour is? The game explains that there is one and it's something to do with the dex stat,
but the game doesn't seem to explain it well, and I can't see anything changing on the character sheet.
I know it affects a few of your skill stats, can't remember which ones (apart from stealth obviously) but if you go onto your skills page for that character and mouse over them it'll show you where the debits are.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:44 pm

I’m hazy on detailed Pathfinder rules, but as I understand it heavy armour applies an armour check penalty (the heavier the armour, the greater the penalty). This only applies to rolls for skills based on dexterity, and it doesn’t apply in combat. However, heavy armour also limits your maximum dexterity bonus, which does affect combat if you’re making dex-based attack rolls or saving throws. Finally, if you have both heavy armour and a shield, the penalties from both stack up.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:15 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:44 pm
However, heavy armour also limits your maximum dexterity bonus
That's the bit that confuses me; what is the dexterity bonus? Is it just referring to when you add your dex stat to a d20 roll?