Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:53 pm

Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Drarok

Re: Amazon's MMO - New World

Post by Drarok » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:41 pm

TIL Amazon has games. Any games.
Raid wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:58 pm

Would that not be a fault with the card rather than the game?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:15 pm

Animalmother wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:58 pm
Would that not be a fault with the card rather than the game?
Seems to be what people are saying, sounds like it's a fault with a particular manufacturer as well, EVGA.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:53 pm

Yeah it a fault with the card, EVGA has said they will be replacing all the broken cards.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:17 am

I have signed up for the beta, but I must say I am staggeringly apathetic about the whole thing. I think any desire I had to play the standard school of MMOs is long dead.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:25 am

I've played bits of the game on and off over the years and it has really changed a lot since the first alpha. I'm quite looking forward to it as I think the combat is a lot of fun with a good skill system and the world design looks very good. It also has quite a bit of crafting which I always like in my MMOs.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:25 am

I enjoyed the beta and picked up the game. When you can get in it plays very well indeed, but virtually all servers have a queue in the thousands by the time most people are logging in in the evenings, plus disconnections often drop you from the queue forcing you to the back again. When you consider that AWS is the single largest owner of server farms in the world, their slowness to scale up to meet demand is quite staggering.

Hopefully it will soon be a memory, as it is a real PITA at the mo.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:49 pm

OK I have put a fair amount of time into this now, and I know DJ has too.

All told I like the game, but it is not all plain sailing. The only fast travel available is a teleport system paid for by an in-game consumable you get from questing and kills, the cost of which scales according to your level of encumbrance. No mounts, and oftentimes the quests send you back and forth all over the show - progress is not fast. To counter that, there is loads of shit to keep you occupied, mostly picking up crafting gear but also mobs and world events.

Another bugbear is the quests. Fuck me they show a horrendous lack of imagination. The amount of 'search chests for thing' and 'kill 10 rats' quests I have done now staggers belief, they are SO dull. With the money at Amazon's disposal and all the lessons learned by MMOs over the years, it really is shocking that they thought that was good enough. One main story chain in particular so outstayed its welcome it just wasn't funny.

That said though, it sure is purdy. The crafting is well designed and enjoyable. The combat is a lot better than any other MMO out there, kinda what both Conan and ESO were working towards but done better. It has a lot going on and has only just launched. Not brilliant, but I keep logging back in.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:56 am

Yeah, lack of quest variety would have killed the experience for me, so I'm fairly glad I stuck to my guns on this one. I did start to enjoy the beta once we got through the fairly tedious opening, but the game just wasn't screaming "Hey, look at this cool thing you can do!" and instead we spent the whole time doing fetch quests. It just didn't look like there was much more to it.

It's what, 15 years since World of Warcraft was released? It's incredible that nobody has really challenged them in terms of variety in all that time.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:25 am

Careful with your cards lads -

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:45 am

Huh. I thought that problem had been put down to the GPU rather than the game back when it appeared in the beta, but evidently not. You'd have thought that the driver software would prevent any component on the card from going past the 100% intended load figure.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:52 pm

It's what, 15 years since World of Warcraft was released? It's incredible that nobody has really challenged them in terms of variety in all that time.
I haven't played WoW in a bit but aren't most the quests still go here kill this? If we are talking about quality of storytelling I think FFXIV has WoW beat on that front.

I suppose it depends what you come to an MMO for really, if you want story and questing then New World isn't for you because all that stuff is basic as anything, but if you want an MMO that is very crafting orientated, has good combat and a great PvP side then New World has got what you need.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:29 pm

Nah Eve is what you need for those ;)

Cheers Snowy you saved me the pennies, I almost impulse bought it but it sounds like I’ll hate it .
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:32 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:52 pm
I haven't played WoW in a bit but aren't most the quests still go here kill this? If we are talking about quality of storytelling I think FFXIV has WoW beat on that front.
Admittedly FFXIV I don't know much about (honestly it was stupid of my to generalise without really having played many MMOs in the last decade), but I think any game is going to have a lot of "go here, kill this". What WoW got right was the variety in locations, as they have some really fantastical map designs. It was rare to visit the same location more than twice for a quest.