Star Wars: Squadrons

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Rusty

Re: Star Wars: Squadrons

Post by Rusty » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:38 pm

Aha. It appears that I was diverting power to shield. Even though the icon looked like an engine and is blue which is shield colour, surely?
Grr. Right, back into it..
-- To be completed at some point --

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:55 am

This game is suspiciously 'cheap' for a new EA game. Is it because there is basically nothing in it?

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:49 am

How’s the VR? I’m thinking just getting Access and playing the 10 hour trial.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:43 am

Pew-Pew wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:55 am
This game is suspiciously 'cheap' for a new EA game. Is it because there is basically nothing in it?
It's mostly just a multiplayer game with the solo stuff basically a tutorial, it's also lacking in maps with six in total I think.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:50 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:43 am
Pew-Pew wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:55 am
It's mostly just a multiplayer game with the solo stuff basically a tutorial, it's also lacking in maps with six in total I think.
So a typical EA game then..

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:54 pm

I can't play in VR for too long. It's a bit jerky. It's amazing when I'm in there though. Prefer flying the X-Wing purely for the extra views. Tie fighters can only see ahead.
The missions are pretty samey but still fun.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:55 pm

So this is getting both B-Wings and TIE Defenders in December. This is important because B-Wings and TIE Defenders are both awesome and they're two of my favourite sci-fi fighter designs.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... n-december

I still haven't actually played it, partially because it's on gamepass, and the PC version of gamepass doesn't get the EA content until December. As I'm wanting to play in VR, I'm waiting until then.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:20 am

Tie fighters are awful in 'real life'. In VR they have no peripheral vision. Just a little window up front.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:07 pm

Available on the Xbox on Game Pass or Games with Gold, one or the other. Downloaded but haven't had a go yet.

Had a quick go. The single player portion is ok, more a tutorial really. My very brief experience of MP was a disaster, got minced pretty much immediately by much better players. Having your view limited to cockpit only is a very tough and basically I'm just shit at flight sims. Might just finish the SP bit then uninstall, no money lost anyway.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:24 am

I picked it up at a discount a while back, just for the chance to fly in VR. It was OK, although I absolutely hated the movement of the ships, no feel whatsoever. Never tried multiplayer and never will, the whole concept doesn't interest me at all.

I just want a TIE fighter remake tbh.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:20 pm

Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:07 pm

I remember playing around with either X-Wing Alliance or X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and discovering that you could actually just stick mission files from TIE Fighter into the later games and they would run. Seemingly they kept the same scripting language between at least the first three games.

Either way, TIE Fighter is one of those games that absolutely needs a modern remake. I just wish they were basing such a remake on a more modern game. I know XWA has some very impressive mods, but the base game just doesn't play well with modern peripherals and it's a pain in the arse to set up.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:24 am

I played around with that remake the other night, looks nice enough thats for sure. Also bound itself nicely to my X52 Pro and controls worked well enough. What I did not recall was the utter flimsiness of the basic TIE, I remember them being able to take at least a few hits before blowing up and weaving being an effective way to avoid enemy pewpew.

I did the first mission - it involved scanning and blowing up some containers then blowing up some fighters, the latter group of which fired back (a different mission to the original familiarisation mission in TIE fighter, presumably added by the mod team). I eventually killed all the enemies but died many times in the attempt (rather than death meaning back to the start, you now get respawns, about 20 in all I think). I then had the option of stay on and blow more enemies up or end the mission, but because it is an XWA setting you had to fly back to the space station you took off from and then hit space to dock. I eventually managed to get back, after endless swooping around to find the station visually, then flying there trying not to get killed. I died over and over and came very close to a ragequit but eventually made it back. Not tried it again since though.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:18 pm

I'm meaning to give it a try at some point, purely because as it runs on the upgraded XWA engine, it also has VR support.

And yeah, the original TIE Fighter was rock hard; despite the name you barely ever fly in an actual TIE Fighter (or TIE/ln as I think it's now canonically referred to as), from what I remember you spend far more time in the Assault Gunboat (Alpha-class Star Wing) and TIE Advanced (TIE Avenger) because they have shields. I remember trying the game a couple of years back, and my first mission ended when I collided with a wingmate and was instantly killed.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:29 pm

It’s the TIEin the sporty one with the bent wings? Not sure if Vader’s was one but like that but pointy on the front.

TIEs don’t have light drives but TIEins do? Maybe…. might be talking out my arse.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.