Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Post by Medicine Man » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:02 pm

Trailer the morra....

Snowy
Local

Re: Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Post by Snowy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:52 am

Oh dear.

A bit of a premature judgement maybe, but the thought of an AssCreed set in the Viking era (presumably?) doesn't do it for me, for a number of reasons.

Where will the parkour come in? It wasn't an era of huge conurbations, let's face it. Most of all though, I dread a sanitised Ubi-mustn't-risk-offending-anyone-Soft of a period renowned for rape and pillage, murder and enslavement and extreme religious intolerance on both sides, Pagan and Christian.

I don't know, I am a big fan of AssCreed titles in general and have really enjoyed the last two in the series. I am also very interested in the Norse era and its history. My brain just can't mash the two together in a way that I look forward to.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:35 pm

Likely a pass for me. A shame because Ubisoft go to great lengths to make these worlds really packed with detail and they're fun to explore. But I can't sit through the same mission again and again for 100 hours anymore. Aside from the added RPG mechanics, Origins and Odyssey (which I didn't play) don't seem to have really added anything to properly shake up the core experience of the franchise and I feel like the gameplay has had it's day. Origins was one of my favourite in the series, but boy was I completely sick of it by the end, and I've heard that Odyssey was even more dragged out.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:22 pm

Didn't play Origins, didn't play Odyssey... I feel like this will probably be the hat-trick.

I've played all the preceding games with the exception of 3 (I even got it free during one of their promotions a year or so back, but meh) and mostly enjoyed them, but for all the fun ship combat was for me personally the series peaked with AC2 and Brotherhood.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:31 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:06 pm

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:09 pm

Good trailer but he’s fucked now....
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:14 pm

Oh good, another game with the English as the bad guys. Also, did the big guy take a sword directly through the tendon that holds the kneecap on and just shrug it off?

I like how they've announced a season pass before showing any actual gameplay.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:21 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:12 pm

So they halted all game development after the Ghost Recon balls up and now they're going balls out with season passes and tatt on the new one? :?

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:12 pm

The series hasn't really been about parkour for a while Snowy, I used to think these games needed a big city but they have got far enough away from that now and added so much other stuff that I don't mind. I have to say that Odyssey is one of the best games of the last few years, Ubisoft have added a lot of cool mechanics to the series over the course of Origins and Odyssey, yes it is straying more into an RPG now but I don't think that is a bad thing. Odyssey was also the first game in a long while that had stuff in that made you feel like an Assassin and that you were hunting people down.

They have said that King Alfred isn't going to be a straight villain and as the game is set during his unification of England and driving out of the Vikings, he's ultimately going to win. As for the raping and pillaging, the Vikings were about a lot more than just that so not having some of that in the game is no big deal. They have said you will get to raid places though.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sun May 03, 2020 6:48 am

I think the parkour ended with syndicate didn't it?

I know it's a lot unlike normal assassins creed these days but Origins and Odyssey are two great games so looking forward to this.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun May 03, 2020 7:02 am

Have they ever made the assassinating more assasinationy? I keep looking at syndicate because I like the look of it but I really only played a chunk of 1 and Black Flag which were... meh.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun May 03, 2020 8:13 am

Assassins Creed has always played the same from an assassination standpoint in that it is always about getting stabby. It has become more RPG-styled with the last two outings, which has been welcome. If you didn't like Black Flag, which for my money is one of the absolute best, then the series probably isn't for you :)

The trailer has lured me anyhow, I think I will buy this, even though my head is screaming that it is going to be a re-skin of Odyssey with the worst elements of the Vikings TV show thrown in. The battle in the trailer - straight out of Odyssey, and with the same total lack of any kind of military formation. For Greece, no phalanx. For ancient Britain no shield walls. I get it, for a rompy stompy runny stabby action game how do formations fit, but at least try it you fuckers :twisted:

Ah well, will just do what I tend to in these games and totally ignore the 'story' and play my own narrative through my imagination while I fight.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun May 03, 2020 11:26 am

Maybe it’s just bad old man memory but I always remember the first being more about stealth in for the kill rather than use wrist blade on waypoint. Black Flag I thought was ok but I got real bored of the ship stuff and I think the console gen change happened and I never went back.