The Room 102 thread - for things you love or just having a bloody good praise!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Lenny Solidus

Re: The Room 102 thread - for things you love or just having a bloody good praise!

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:51 pm

The things we tend to use each and every day without so much as a second thought how long they have actually lasted us.

Our ever-trusty many times a day used Morphy Richards electric tin opener died last night and as we decided to go look into buying a replacement we contemplated how long it had served us and had served us so well. We thought maybe a good four or five years at the very least but then we matched the exact same model on Amazon...

Thank you for your service soldier!
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Wrathbone
Local

Re: The Room 102 thread - for things you love or just having a bloody good praise!

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:16 pm

Lennyquantum wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:51 pm
The things we tend to use each and every day without so much as a second thought how long they have actually lasted us.
I was going to post something related to this in the 101 thread, but you've reframed it somewhat. My fridge packed in yesterday, immediately after the big weekly supermarket shop had been delivered. £25 of fresh food gone to rot, which I found strangely distressing - not just from the cost, but from the waste. Suffice it to say, I have been in a fairly foul mood for the last 24 hours.

But the reality is that the old fridge was a real trooper. It was the cheapest fridge available at Currys when I bought it 12 years ago, so cheap that it was unbranded and listed as "GENERIC FRIDGE" or something equally Soviet. Until it finally perished, it never gave me a moment's grief, plodding on through extremes of temperature, power cuts and user negligence (I realised yesterday that I'd never found the need to defrost it until now). It certainly earned its £150 price tag.

RIP you durable white goods beast.

eny

Post by eny » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:21 pm

*awaits next post about the cost of a new one*

It is more than alarming what white goods cost now...
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:13 am

Guys, are our standards lower for longevity now or something? 9 and 12 years for a tin opener and fridge respectively doesn't sound like a very long time for either...

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:19 am

I don’t think 12 years is an unreasonable lifespan for a decent fridge, let alone one that was so cheap that Curry’s wouldn’t even name the manufacturer.

A quick Google suggests 10-15 years is average.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:52 am

Fair enough. I think a tin opener should definitely last longer than that though!

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:23 am

Considering every single one of us has no doubt bought something that didn't even last the week I must graciously disagree.

Anyway, I carefully placed the old guy in the fresh new box threw in a couple of flower petals and lit a candle for it.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:30 am

Then returned it to amazon saying "dis came broked".
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:16 pm

As those nightmare neighbours the street had put up with for a year and a half have now finally vacated the property (not before clogging up the sink flooding the kitchen and breaking every cabinet unit because shit sticks that they were who would have expected anything less) we have now another family viewing the property looking to buy. A very nice family who I have already talked to more than the previous occupants which should tell you a great deal about them. As I closed my gate and made my way back to the house a small voice appeared in the air that I couldn't quite locate. It uttered the following unexpected words to me...

If you build it...- actually no it was more along the lines of - Can I get a safe? Safe being the habitual slang greeting term around these parts for anyone unawares.

I turn around and see nobody, then spot a tiny head over the other side of the gate, fist outstretched toward my seemingly giant self at a considerably low proportion to the ground. This kid must be no more than a day over 5 - 6 and as the parents were watching laughing I obviously obliged the young man with a firm intentionally not too-strong fist bump as I'd rather not knock over the new families on the street kid right before them on our first ever meeting. He was just adorable and thankful that a giant bearded man acknowledged him and duly ran back over to his parents with a huge grin and a skip in his step. And ok yes, I did appreciate that he went with this action - I felt like the cool friendly neighbour walking back into the house, which I very much am if you remain on my good side showing respect for the street and all of its occupants.

Something tells me that our battle-worn little street is about to take a turn for the better based on first impressions. Fingers crossed at the very least.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:59 pm

Fingers crossed indeed mate
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:33 am

Bringing the dog for a walk yesterday during an airshow yesterday was really great. This year they had a WW2 flying boat and the Lancaster bomber made a return, it circled the area for a good 30 minutes. It was slightly ruined by some knobend who decided to start using his lawnmower near where I was standing just as the bomber did a flypast (almost drowning out the sound of the engines), apart from the noise the Edwin never even looked up once at the 80 year old marvel flying above us. I believe there is a Mustang and Spitfire today but the weather is rapidly turning to pish so thats a real shame :(

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:56 am

The engine sound is the best thing about a Lancaster flyover. I live under the Memorial Flight's usual flightpath when it attends the Morecambe airshow, and if I have my window open on the day I can hear them over anything else - they have such a distinctive engine note that's instantly recogniseable. All of the Merlin-engined aircraft sound great, but 4 of them on one aircraft is a glorious noise.

eny

Post by eny » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:50 am

Same, all the London/Windsor flypasts go through the valley here, and little gets me perked up more than the sound of a Merlin or two.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:43 am

This made me chuckle, from the sheer audacity of it. My niece (14) was briefly excited about the possibility of a school trip to Costa Rica, which had been proposed in a presentation to the students by some starter business. I get the impression it had an insipid "Hey gang!" energy to it. Naturally it raised immediate suspicions, because I remember my most extravagent school trip when I was a kid was a drizzly week staying in a disused army barracks in Hornsea.

Anyway, the proposal was that kids who wanted to go to Costa Rica should raise £4500 by the summer, which would then allow them to spend four weeks painting fences, building houses and doing general DIY for under-priveleged Costa Ricans. If the prospect of paying £4500 to be shipped off for a month's manual labour seems insurmountable (and bear in mind this school is in a particularly impoverished area of the north), not to worry! They suggested that students simply needed to start their own independent business to raise the funds, using the example of some hypothetical boy who made a fortune from selling herbal tea. :lol:

My niece was apparently quite enthusiastic about it at first, having heard Costa Rica (she later admitted she has no idea where it is) and then giving no consideration to the rest of it. But my sister pointed out to her that they have big spiders over there, which dimmed her enthusiasm, and then suggested that if by some miracle of business flair she somehow managed to raise £4500 by June, she could use that money to do literally anything else.

She has decided not to go to Costa Rica.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:50 pm

Putting off doing my taxes for weeks and weeks, leaving it right until the deadline today, starting to do them and then realising that in fact I'd been super-organised and did them way back in May and then had completely forgotten doing so.

It's the same feeling of finding a tenner in the pocket of a jacket you've not worn for ages :lol: