The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:49 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:42 am
Any TV or film scene where someone has to swear an oath and they slice right across their palm like a madman. If you really feel the need to make a blood oath, which is weird in itself, make a cut somewhere unimportant like the back of your arm. But no, it's always "I pledge my sword to your cause, which I can no longer hold for a couple of weeks..." ](*,)

I had a tiny cut on the back of my knuckle a while back and that was a right nuisance. I can't even imagine how annoying a massive gash across your palm would be as it healed, not least because you stupidly chose to do it to yourself. No wonder all these heroic types are all sullen and brooding - they're in constant, self-inflicted discomfort!
My eldest impaled himself on a wire fence by the palm of the hand during the summer last year. By all accounts it was a trifle nippy.

I'd post pictures of him getting both sides stitched up, but I'm sure nobody in their right mind would want to see such a thing.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:51 am

During the blood test scene in The Thing they slice open their thumbs and squeeze the blood out. Getting a paper cut on your thumb is agony, getting it sliced with a scalpel would be beyond understanding :-&

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:02 pm

Oh hell yes, your hands have a massive concentration of nerves in them, so why would you choose to cut yourself there? You want my thumb? Sod off and nick my forearm please!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:27 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:42 am
Any TV or film scene where someone has to swear an oath and they slice right across their palm like a madman. If you really feel the need to make a blood oath, which is weird in itself, make a cut somewhere unimportant like the back of your arm. But no, it's always "I pledge my sword to your cause, which I can no longer hold for a couple of weeks..." ](*,)

I had a tiny cut on the back of my knuckle a while back and that was a right nuisance. I can't even imagine how annoying a massive gash across your palm would be as it healed, not least because you stupidly chose to do it to yourself. No wonder all these heroic types are all sullen and brooding - they're in constant, self-inflicted discomfort!
It always amazes me how a hangnail or small cut on a finger or hand seems to bump into gd everything - just makes me realize how often every part of our hands touch anything and everything.

Funny story I have about a large cut on my palm. I worked at a golf range way back in the day. One morning I was attaching the "golf ball picker-upper" to the front of the golf cart and ended up smashing a significant portion of my left palm - like, across the skin of the palm, smushed into itself, which then busted open. A very strange traumatic injury which oddly didn't hurt that much at first. I sat down in the golf cart, felt myself starting to pass out, and had just enough time to make sure the parking brake was set. Next thing I knew, I found myself laying on my right side, and as I sat up I not only couldn't feel my right arm, which had been stuck under my body, but I couldn't hear. I also didn't know who I was. I had some strange temporary amnesia, it felt like I was being reborn. Light was extra bright. I didn't know where I was. My first thought, trying to understand what had happened, was that I'd been shot. I had laid there long enough to make my arm go completely numb. I have no idea how long I was passed out, and I was the only one there, pre-morning, before opening, so no witnesses and no sense of time.

And that sliced up palm hurt for days and days. I still have a scar underneath, over thirty years later.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:37 am

I’ve had similar experiences of coming round after passing out or being knocked unconscious, which happened a lot when I was 13 and 14 (I grew tall very quickly and the doctor said my heart hadn’t grown fast enough to keep up, hence frequent passing out for about a year). Usually it was just hearing loss and everything in black and white for a minute, but a couple of times I hit my head when collapsing and gave myself a concussion. It’s the weirdest thing when you realise you’ve no idea what time of year it is, or what you’ve been doing recently or how old you are, but then over a few hours it comes back. It’s like a BSOD for your brain.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:39 pm

Had a bad dose of the flu a few years ago and foolishly though I was getting over it. Ended up blacking out on an empty train platform and banging my head. Not sure how long I lay there but it felt like ages (30 seconds probably). Nice bit of concussion and a very slow laboured journey back home was the result. At least I didn't fall onto the tracks.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:43 pm

The Youtube app on iOS suddenly wants me to verify my age via a copy of my passport or my credit card details. Turns out I've had a sudden change of heart about watching something on Youtube.

They can fuck right off. There's nothing on there that I wont miss watching or even be remotely willing to send them a scan of my passport for.

I miss the days when being born in 1901 was enough for these people.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:17 pm

Yeesh. Fuck that shit.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:38 pm

It's to do with complying with recent EU regulations apparently. It's mostly just people in Europe who are being hit by it. Algorithms are gradually switching off all videos which could potentially have content that needs to be 18+. So it's only going to get worse and worse as they continue to bar more videos.

I don't even know whether they differentiate the UK from the rest of Europe, since not being in the EU I'm assuming we don't share the same regulations any more.

I guess Youtube could end up becoming a site we have to go through proxy servers/VPNs to view properly.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:42 pm

It's mental. You can be up to your eyes in absolute hardcore filth completely hassle free, but if you want to watch daft Russians stick stickers on cars parked on the pavement they need to see your birth certificate and a up-to-date high resolution rectal scan.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:44 pm

Of those choices I’d rather they regulated the latter
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:46 pm

I dunno, I'm not sure I'd want a "High Resolution Rectal Scan" booth in every supermarket and Post Office.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:05 pm

:lol:

At least not without some accompanying wipes.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:38 pm

"Please adjust the seat to align your anus with the probe."

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:13 pm

just seen this, and also seen this as a result of looking for some music for Solitaire. They can fuck off with their requests, I am not giving them any of that info.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=