The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Mantis » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:36 pm

I hate these places that seem to think that the trend of serving food in jars can be haphazardly applied to anything so that the business appears more current and hip.

I went to a very well reviewed dessert place in the city a while ago and tried their chocolate brownie whatever-the-fuck, where they'd encrusted the brownie itself all around the outside of the jar and filled the inside with ice cream and other gubbins. I had to forcibly chisel the brownie off the side of the jar and only managed to eat about half of it. It was shite.

Still wasn't as bad as the ice cream cone pizza place that popped up a few years ago though. Thankfully that one didn't last very long.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:11 pm

Good grief. I've seen these milkshakes where they stick half a dessert cart on top, but that's ridiculous. I'm betting the brownie itself was horribly overcooked?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:31 pm

Absolutely. It was rock hard, that's why I ended up giving up on it because I was expending more energy trying to get it off the side of the jar than the food was actually providing for me.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:01 pm

I'm slinging people who refuse to speak on the phone into Room 101.

I don't even mean in a work environment, though that's also irritating. When did people forget how to communicate using their voice? I don't understand why anybody would prefer to text their friends when they could ring them.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:31 pm

Messaging can be much more convenient than phone calls though. Sure, phone if you need someone ASAP, but don't call me when I want to go and have a shit or something :x

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:35 pm

Yeah, I generally prefer messaging rather than phone calls for that reason. There's no real chance of catching someone at a bad time, and it doesn't force the recipient to give an immediate reply. When I'm at work I prefer things to be e-mailed just so that there's a record I can refer back to, as my short-term memory is so atrocious that by the end of a phone call I can quite easily have forgotten bits.

I absolutely do have an amount of social awkwardness though, so I'm not saying that the initial premise is wrong.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:38 pm

Pew-Pew wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:31 pm
Messaging can be much more convenient than phone calls though. Sure, phone if you need someone ASAP, but don't call me when I want to go and have a shit or something :x
Evening Sir, long time no speak.

I wasn't dismissing the benefits of messaging, they're both valid points. I mean people activley avoiding phonecalls where they are clearly a more practical/nicer way to communicate. For example, sending a chaser e-mail after you've already sent one - clearly giving them a call is going to be more effective.

That's just one example. It infuriates me in work in particular when I ask someone if they've spoken to the client and they say they've e-mailed 'but no response'. Okay...so are we just going to wait?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:02 pm

I have a mate who will only ring and never uses text. It's a real pain in the nuts as he'll always ring at the most inconvenient time and uses a call when a 2 line text was more than sufficient. He will sometimes ring multiple times as well over a few hours. Why don't I tell him to stop? I have many times but he just brushes it off saying he prefers to call.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:00 pm

Tommy wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:38 pm
That's just one example. It infuriates me in work in particular when I ask someone if they've spoken to the client and they say they've e-mailed 'but no response'. Okay...so are we just going to wait?
Oh man this. Anyone who works on one of my projects will only ever say this to me once. I even make a point when I start working with a team that an email does not constitute communication. Call the Edwin, then email them a follow-up of what you have agreed will happen by when, but an email only? Fuck right off. I insist my teams see the whites of eyes and had positive verbal affirmation before they ever say they have spoken to someone.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:29 pm

I don't have as much of a problem with email (probably because I don't get that many at work due to the way we organise stuff), but there are definitely people who will send an email with the fire-and-forget attitude of "I'm emailed someone so it's not my problem anymore".

I've not actually had a work phone (mobile or desk phone) for about 8 years. They ditched them all suddenly and replaced them with VOIP headsets that didn't really work, so inevitably nobody used them. Yet another case of corporate insanity, where sweeping changes are made to save a few pennies without any kind of staff consultation or consideration of how it might change the way the business works.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:58 pm

Raid wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:29 pm
This:

Listed on the menu as a "pie". This is not my photo. I wasn't served this. It makes me irrationally angry all the same.
Sorry I know the thread has moved on but I have to return to this abomination.

The reason there are so few chips is that the stupid pretend fryer basket is actually just a con to stop you noticing that your portion of chips is a child's portion. This is what it looks like emptied out. Little saucepan of veggies? Same con.

The slice of tree is pretentious shite too - I would argue that use of a tray and let the tree stay standing would be a better statement really.

The pie. Jesus wept, get the chef out here this instant. What the fuck IS that? Burnt pastry poking out of a jam-jar of gravy? Whoever decided that paying customers could be treated like this should not work in hospitality.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:08 pm

Told my mates about this. One mates gf mentioned that she logged onto amazon to find he'd asked alexa to put a "pie in a fucking jar" on the shopping list.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:59 pm

Carols from Kings, or choirs singing Christmas carols in general. I very much enjoy traditional carols played by a small band or orchestra so that the music has some energy behind it. But sweet baby Jesus and the orphans, only Kings could sing Joy to the World and sap every last ounce of joy out of it by having a lone choirboy howl it out like a mournful, starving cat trapped in a garage.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:26 pm

I'll be honest the last time I did anything remotely religious about Christmas I was in a church of England primary school which turned out to be a total shitter. My memories are somewhat suppressed so I had no idea what carols from Kings was until a quick Google. But yeah sing the song right or not at all you cunts.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:54 pm

I’m an atheist so the religious angle is irrelevant to me - I just like the music. :)