The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Animalmother
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Animalmother » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:28 pm

Fuck them. People should have to get a licence and insurance before getting an e scooter, might stop the amount of the cunts who treat the footpath like a racetrack around where I live. This might be an old man shakes his fist at cloud type thing but it's really fucking annoying.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:59 pm

Where I live being very rural we have shitloads of cycle tracks. Which equals a shitload of cyclists who take the piss. Double breasted on a narrow road, not signalling, riding the bike across the road when they should be walking it.

Do respect them though and the good ones give a thumbs up after an overtake but still...

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:29 am

Oat milk. I bought some out of curiosity, only to discover that it's cloudy water that tastes slightly of porridge. If you put it in coffee, what you get is black coffee that tastes off. Soya milk is a much better alternative to cow's milk.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:06 am

After realising I'd become lactose intolerant I went through a range of milk alternatives - oat, rice, soya, almond, soya was probably the most palatable. But in the end I settled on lactose-free milk, which tastes exactly the same but doesn't adversely affect me.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:21 am

Was it supermarket own brand stuff because that is lumpy shit. Oatly, especially the barista is lovely in coffee. The chocolate one is nice as a drink. Soya is fine in drinks but is rank to drink. Almond is the most inoffensive and neutral and the best one for cereal. Rice milk is disgusting.

Oatly is full fat milk.
Soy is uht.
Almond is skimmed milk.
Rice is sour milk.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:38 am

It’s Oatley. My coffee did not taste good with it.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:58 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:06 am
After realising I'd become lactose intolerant I went through a range of milk alternatives - oat, rice, soya, almond, soya was probably the most palatable. But in the end I settled on lactose-free milk, which tastes exactly the same but doesn't adversely affect me.
Can you just eventually become lactose intolerant then?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:05 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:58 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Apparently it's fairly common, yes.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:30 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59373237

The end must surely be in sight now.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:02 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:58 pm
Sly Boots wrote:

Why do cows have hooves instead of feet???

Because they lactose
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:10 pm

I somehow accidentally factory reset my phone earlier. Was trying to fix a flickering screen issue and next thing I'm getting menu options in Chinese and apparently chose poorly. Fuck :x

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:25 pm

Overpackaged things.

There are 8 AAA batteries in this pack. Why is the packaging 3 times the size it needs to be? It's all cardboard thankfully, but this is a bulk item that retailers will buy in the thousands of units, and they need to transport and store them before sale, meaning more warehouse space and more lorry trips. Batteries aren't exactly fragile, I can't imagine they need all of the extra padding.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:29 pm

That is a tad excessive alright #-o

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:31 pm

That sort of thing is improving in some cases and getting worse in others. Last week I ordered some wrapping paper (sheets, not a roll) which arrived in a huge box filled with packing paper for reasons I can't grasp. It'll get recycled, sure, but it shouldn't need to be. I mean wrapping paper is a waste in itself to me, but social expectations demand someone rips it off a present for the mild thrill of momentarily not knowing what wonders lie within.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:28 am

So a couple of weeks ago I started a fairly significant diet and exercise plan. I put on a fair bit of weight when I moved into a work-from-home job, and I've now managed to ditch most of it, but want it to continue as I've always been unhappy with my weight. But then my Galaxy Watch that I use to track my exercise had a software update, and the exercise that I've been doing quite consistently for a month is now apparently burning some 40% fewer calories than it was prior to the update. That's a pretty massive swing, and removes the entire safety margin I'd planned into my diet (some days I just need an emergency chocolate bar or beer).

I don't know whether it's a software bug (I've looked at appropriate subreddits and it's not just me experiencing this) or if the watch has been miscalculating calorie burns for the entire time I've had it, which frankly would explain a few things. I don't really have the expertise to assume either way, but I now need to go back and rejig the exercise plan that I only put together two weeks ago.