Local

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:53 pm

Nice one.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:40 pm

Does anyone think that every time we go into these situations with unfathomable evils, rather than learn from past experiences and come up with a sound plan, we actually come out progressively worse off every time?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:41 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:40 pm
Does anyone think that every time we go into these situations with unfathomable evils, rather than learn from past experiences and come up with a sound plan, we actually come out progressively worse off every time?
All I know is it wasn't an unfathomable evil that banished me to another plane of existence -_-

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:41 pm

I'm actually disappointed the lich didn't take us up on the deal, though, I think it sounded pretty sweet :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:47 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:41 pm
Mantis wrote:
All I know is it wasn't an unfathomable evil that banished me to another plane of existence -_-
It seemed like the best course of action at the time to stop you giving him the staff and without actually physically harming you!

Also, just saying, but we were actually doing alright up until the point you came back. -_-

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:57 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:47 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:41 pm
Mantis wrote:
It seemed like the best course of action at the time to stop you giving him the staff and without actually physically harming you!

Also, just saying, but we were actually doing alright up until the point you came back. -_-
Ha, it was ok, I was actually pleased to be safe for a while :lol:

I did actually think the compulsion thing had worn off, though, if I'd known what would happen I might have asked Barnabus to hang onto it for a bit. That'd have been ok, right?

Did I mention Slythe has 10 intelligence?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:12 pm

I saw the compulsion thing like a wifi connection that had gone out of range and then autoconnected when you came back.

I mean, you could look at it in the sense that your souls have been trapped by an unimaginably evil creature, which admittedly is not great. :lol: But on the other hand you’re inside its only true vulnerability...

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:35 am

I was thinking that there was a trick to the fight, and we weren't going to be able to kill Morgur without destroying the phylactery. We knew that we couldn't touch it ourselves, a blast of chain lightning had no effect, and even my genius idea of smashing it with masonry didn't seem to do anything. My last remaining idea was to stab it with the Lich's own dagger, but that was in a pocket dimension possibly inside another pocket dimension. I only had one more cast of chain lightning as a damage spell, as fire makes up the majority of my arsenal (and Charr is now scared of using that). Blight doesn't work on undead, and that's my only big single-target nuke. I was pretty stumped for ideas to be honest.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:16 am

The chain lightning was effective - he just successfully healed himself afterwards. A couple of well-rolled blasts could have taken him out. The fireball was unfortunate as he saved on his roll and used his avoidance ability to take no damage, but a failed save would have done half damage at least.

It was intended to be a very tough fight, but he was beatable. Unfortunately there were various factors (most completely unanticipated by me) that meant it went sideways. It's not over yet though!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:27 am

Yeah, I know the lightning damaged Morgur himself, it was the phylactery I was also trying to destroy in that same attack.

Also, I was gutted that the level up didn't give me another spell.... which lead me to discover that I could have been swapping my spells out every time I levelled up. I had no idea. #-o

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:32 am

Ah, hadn't realised about the spells! In that case feel free to swap them round as needed.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:32 am

Raid wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:35 am
I was thinking that there was a trick to the fight, and we weren't going to be able to kill Morgur without destroying the phylactery. We knew that we couldn't touch it ourselves, a blast of chain lightning had no effect, and even my genius idea of smashing it with masonry didn't seem to do anything. My last remaining idea was to stab it with the Lich's own dagger, but that was in a pocket dimension possibly inside another pocket dimension. I only had one more cast of chain lightning as a damage spell, as fire makes up the majority of my arsenal (and Charr is now scared of using that). Blight doesn't work on undead, and that's my only big single-target nuke. I was pretty stumped for ideas to be honest.
The Apocalypse dagger was in the bag of holding, which Sage still has. I'm sure Slythe only snatched the Blackstaff from his hands, not the entire bag of holding.

I don't have the stats for it noted down anywhere, but wouldn't it have basically caused a nuclear explosion that would have destroyed most of the sword coast if we'd used it?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:46 am

Mantis wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:32 am
Raid wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:35 am
The Apocalypse dagger was in the bag of holding, which Sage still has. I'm sure Slythe only snatched the Blackstaff from his hands, not the entire bag of holding.

I don't have the stats for it noted down anywhere, but wouldn't it have basically causes a nuclear explosion that would have destroyed most of the sword coast if we'd used it?
Pretty sure that was what was said about it, hence why I backed away and chose not to steal something for possibly the first time in the campaign :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:09 am

The Apocalypse dagger's full powers are uncertain, even with Identify, but you would get the distinct impression that it's appropriately named. Not to be used casually. ;)

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:03 am

Thursday okay? I'm free tonight and tomorrow as well.